Newbies Guide: Fitting Boot Blue Light

Please check here before posting to see if your question has been answered before.

Newbies Guide: Fitting Boot Blue Light

Postby wywywywy on Sat Apr 03, 2004 1:44 am

Okay, starting from now I am going to call my guides "Guide for Newbies" as it seems more suitable and to better reflect my skills >__< See, I am humble!

Like many other cheaper Ford cars, there is only one tacky light in my boot, which looks very dull and most importantly, not bright enough for general usage. So I was going to fit one more light, but then I thought... as I am doing it anyway, why not change it to blue merely for the wow factor. And no, since I am doing it to my boot (with practicality) not the footwell or dash, it is not considered "Max Power youth" style. :P And totally legal too.

Most people would probably go for neons. But for people familiar with computer modding, it is generally accepted that cold cathode lights are better than neon lights because 1. less heat 2. less electricity 3. smaller size 4. not neccessary to pay the motor factor rip-off price. Seriously, most motor factors in the UK charge stupid prices, especially Halfords.

Anyway, I bought the "4inch Blue Dual Cold Cathode Kit" (code: DUALCATH4/BLUE) on eBuyer for a mere 2.42GBP ex VAT!!! Comparing to the motor factors that charge at least 12.00GBP for a single 4inch neon tube! The dual 12inch kit (code: DUALCATH/BL) was also considered, as the 12inch kit is better value for money at 2.97GBP ex VAT, but I was worried about the lack of space.

This is what I got. The kit consists of:
1. Two cold cathode tubes
2. Inverter (these lights use AC current)
3. Switch
4. Molex connectors

Comparing to neon tubes, cold cathode tubes are quite fragile. A plastic (probably acrylic) tube was there to protect the tube, but care still needs to be taken.

To connect the cold cathode tubes to the car, I chopped off the molex connectors, and used two crimp bullet connectors, one for 12v (yellow) and one for earth (black). The kit was apparently tested using my PC before commencing modding :D

This boot light is going to be redundant. So I removed fuse before doing anything, then twisted the bulb out and chopped wire and used two female crimp bullet connectors for the 12v live and the earth. Then, yes, just connect the bullet connectors, use the supplied sticky pads to stick the tubes to somewhere hidden, and cable tie everything making sure nothing moves when I am driving, stopping, going around corners, etc.

Before lights on...

Voila!! There you go.

An added bonus is that, because there is a switch, I can turn it off when I open the boot but do not really need the light. :P

Hope it helps.
wywywywy
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby xander7 on Sat Apr 03, 2004 1:38 pm

that is a quality idea mate, nice guide, and good pictures. where did you buy the cathode kit from? ebuyer ?

that would set my install off nicely i think

xander
xander7
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby JamieFRST on Sat Apr 03, 2004 4:01 pm

I got some of those form ebuyer, for like £3! gonna put two in the boot and maybe two in the foot wells.
JamieFRST
Keep It Tidy
Keep It Tidy

Car: 1991 Ford Fiesta RS Turbo

Postby xander7 on Sat Apr 03, 2004 5:24 pm

just ordered 2 4" blue cold cathodes ;)

shall be gracing my boot asap, i might pop a couple in the footwells as well, just for looks

nice one matey ;)

xander
xander7
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Smo on Sat Apr 03, 2004 9:18 pm

Not my sort of thing normally, but I'm quite impressed...

Think I'll buy a couple and if I don't like them in my boot I'll stick them in my case, lol
Smo
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Car: 1990 Ford Fiesta Popular Plus

Postby wywywywy on Sat Apr 03, 2004 10:48 pm

May I recommend buying the dual 12" kit instead of the 4" one, as 12" is of better value and much brighter... if you have enough space :P

I especially like the fact that I have a switch in the boot >_<
Because when I clean the interior (takes about two hours to clean properly), I keep the boot open, and I don't really want the lights draining the battery.
wywywywy
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby sleeky on Sun Apr 04, 2004 1:12 pm

I guess you mounted one either side under the shelf supports? If so, how long are the wires :)

Lee.
sleeky
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Location: Cuffley, hertfordshire Drives: Mk2 Fiesta, Arosa 1.4Tdi

Postby wywywywy on Sun Apr 04, 2004 2:53 pm

sleeky wrote:I guess you mounted one either side under the shelf supports? If so, how long are the wires :)

Lee.

I actually mounted the next to the rear cluster looms, under the two nuts holding the rear bumper you know, so that when I buy food from Tesco, they would break my tubes...
wywywywy
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby arron_watson on Wed Apr 07, 2004 11:02 pm

Definately put them in your footwells :D also get the sound reactor also from ebuyer, wire them up to your cigarette lighter then with the sound box they can go on constant, flash and also with the beat of the music looks phat and takes about 20/25 mins :aviator:
arron_watson
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Postby sleeky on Thu Apr 08, 2004 10:23 am

Just ordered a 4in set to play with, was playing with my tape measure earlier and because of the shape of the ka, theres hardly [ERRR] large enuf flat surfaces where u cud fit 12in ones, so the 4in [ERRR] be able to squeeze here there and everywhere :lol:

Arron - You got a code for the sound reactor, sounds interesting :)

Lee.
sleeky
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Monky on Fri Apr 09, 2004 4:41 pm

Thats wicked mate. the other day i took my sound reactive neons out of my computer case and wired then up to my cat and they look wicked.
Monky
Post Master
Post Master

Location: Bristol, Where all the westers shoot the hengrovers. Own a 1.1 and a Austin Mini!

Postby PUREtom on Fri Apr 09, 2004 10:20 pm

Do ya just wire them up, one wire to pos and 1 to earth? Do ya need any resistors or anything else? Are they 12V then?
PUREtom
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby wywywywy on Sat Apr 10, 2004 12:43 am

Pure_Tom wrote:Do ya just wire them up, one wire to pos and 1 to earth? Do ya need any resistors or anything else? Are they 12V then?

That's right. Only two wires to connect - one 12v one earth, no resistors no nothing. It is really easy.

Technically they are not 12v - they are 240v A/C (IIRC). But the invertor takes care of that so you need not worry.
wywywywy
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby ~Tony~ on Sat Apr 10, 2004 12:54 am

Monky wrote:Thats wicked mate. the other day i took my sound reactive neons out of my computer case and wired then up to my cat and they look wicked.

hope your cat didn't mid too much. think mine would have been pissed off if i started connecting wires to it. especially when they got switched on
still need to update this sig
~Tony~
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Your car: FRST, FRS mk1, Defender 90

Postby xander7 on Sun Apr 11, 2004 2:25 pm

just finished installing my kit in the boot, thanks to wywywywy for the top notch guide, made life very easy. well chuffed with the outcome, will post some pics later (waiting for it to get dark so i can see the full effect!!) found a excellent place to put the switch as well, very stealth lol

xander
xander7
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Percy! on Sun Apr 11, 2004 2:34 pm

Looks good.

I am gonna get 3 12" kits!

Do the boot, footwells, and under the seats (rear footwells kinda)

Great stuff i was just gonna shell out for aload of neons too.
Percy!
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Your car: Citreon

Postby wywywywy on Sun Apr 11, 2004 7:39 pm

Update:

- There are also MULTI-COLOUR tubes :)
- Also EL wires for very cheap (code: EB/ELCABLE/RED) 1.50 ex VAT
- Try putting some foil behind the tubes to reflect the light. Just make sure they are stealth.
- LED spot light (code: LED/SINGLE/BLUE) for dash 0.59 ex VAT. Oh my god how much do Halfords charge? More like 7.99...
- For doing footwells, you can connect the earth wire to the door pin swith. So the light is only on when you open the doors... and light up individually!
- Do not do it to animals.
wywywywy
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby sleeky on Wed Apr 14, 2004 11:35 am

Just finished fitting mine. Again, thanks for such a top guide! Everything went as planned and the original wiring in the Ka is totally untouched, so it can easily be put back to standard :wink:

They seem pretty bright atm, and thats in almost direct sunlight, but i need to wait until this evening for the full effect. I ended up mounting them under the tailgate slam panel lip in the ka, as finding a flat surface in that car is like finding a needle in a haystack.

Heres some pics of the install:

Right Hand Side Cathode - Only just fitted in the gap cos of where ford decided to put the jack, but still i squeezed it in. The inverter is then squeezed in behind the jack, and cant move at all, mite wack some sticky pads on it just incase tho!

Switch - Managed to sqeeze this in between the boot trim and the bodywork, its totally solid, and looks pretty neat too :D

Left Hand Cathode - Err not much to say really!

Lee.
sleeky
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby xander7 on Wed Apr 14, 2004 5:19 pm

might as well put some pics up of mine then :D

And i found a neat place to put the switch. on the parcel shelf trim there is a small hole where the speaker wiring and wiring for the boot light usually come through. i took all that out, and fed that down behind the strut covers, and placed the switch in that hole, perfect size, totally stealth and hidden :D

aint got any night pics yet, but it adds a lovely blue glow to the install, well worth the cash IMO

xander
xander7
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby wywywywy on Wed Apr 14, 2004 11:25 pm

Lots of pics :D Very nice.

I think I need to revise my switch position after seeing you guys' work :o
Fiesta Mk3 The Complete FAQ
Have a look, and do a search, before you ask anything :)
Project Log
wywywywy
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby sleeky on Thu Apr 15, 2004 9:44 am

Tried em out last nite when it finally got dark, and boy do they look mint, boot glows a lovley blue now :D

Think i may get some more for the footwells :wink:

Lee.
sleeky
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Percy! on Thu Apr 15, 2004 1:17 pm

All mine have arrived this morning, I will get pics up when I have them all in! :)

I wonder if ebuyer are trying to figure why all the cathodes are goin all of the sudden? :lol:
Percy!
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Your car: Citreon

Postby PUREtom on Thu Apr 15, 2004 2:17 pm

I just brought 3 sets, arrive monday!!

Ebuyer are most prob scratching their heads!!
PUREtom
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby M4RK Si on Fri Jun 04, 2004 6:17 pm

Shouldn't this be in the guides section?
M4RK Si
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby edwardcasbon on Mon Jun 07, 2004 9:59 pm

i havent got a courtest light in my mk4 1.3 finesse. How could i connect one up?
edwardcasbon
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby wywywywy on Sun Jun 13, 2004 9:20 pm

edwardcasbon wrote:i havent got a courtest light in my mk4 1.3 finesse. How could i connect one up?

Do you mean BOOT courtesy light?
There should always be at least one...
Project Log
wywywywy
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby sted on Mon Jun 14, 2004 11:20 pm

hi does anyone know were i can get all the stuff i need to do this as it looks amazin and i really want to do it please send me a link thx
what are u doing
get out my way
sted
Poster
Poster

Postby mikester on Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:24 am

lol the prices have gone up since you all have been buying them :lol:
¤± rev-o-lu-tion ±¤
mikester
Poster
Poster

Postby Sams Si on Tue Jun 15, 2004 8:29 pm

can sum1 jus explain where they have connected to wires to after choppin off the molex connector? do u connect it upto a battery or sumthin? lol, thanks. :D

EDIT: although it may be in one of the pictures above, i cant see them if they are upload onto FT.com because im behind a firewall. i can only see FT logo's, hence the reason why i am asking about the wires. :)
Last edited by Sams Si on Tue Jun 15, 2004 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Sams Si
Post Master
Post Master

Postby wywywywy on Tue Jun 15, 2004 8:39 pm

Please take 2 mins and just read it >__<
The questions are answered there...
Project Log
wywywywy
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Re: Newbies Guide: Fitting Boot Blue Light

Postby Project on Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:30 pm

wywywywy wrote:To connect the cold cathode tubes to the car, I chopped off the molex connectors, and used two crimp bullet connectors, one for 12v (yellow) and one for earth (black).

He means you have to cut the bulb-holder-connector thingy off the courtesy light and crimp/solder/chocolate-box two wires onto these.

Al
<< I need to put something here, yer? >>
Project
fiftyoneCL
fiftyoneCL

Postby Sams Si on Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:12 am

thanks ppl. that cleared it all up! :D
ImageImage
Sams Si
Post Master
Post Master

Postby sted on Wed Jun 16, 2004 10:08 pm

well can some give me the website to get my stuff plus a list of everythin i need
what are u doing
get out my way
sted
Poster
Poster

Postby wywywywy on Thu Jun 17, 2004 3:40 pm

sted wrote:well can some give me the website to get my stuff plus a list of everythin i need

Please read the guide again, it is there!
Project Log
wywywywy
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby mikester on Thu Jun 24, 2004 7:29 am

on the same principle could this work in the front using the map light? say if you could fit the 4inches into the light compartment with a lot of bodging....
¤± rev-o-lu-tion ±¤
mikester
Poster
Poster

Next

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.