My big ZT thread > 15.4.08 25bhp/20lbft extra and track prep

Post pics of your Fiesta here.

Postby heeman10 on Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:12 pm

random_dav - Yeah, get Mr Grumpy up here on a day I can get the car over!

jd - Bruntingthorpe is the Fast Ford Fiesta Thrash, one day in the first week of April matey, you'll see the thread in Events :)
James .:. 193bhp/245lbft Zetec Turbo Mk3. Click sig for conversion thread + videos .:.
heeman10
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: Audi TT TDI Quattro S line

Postby jdfiesta on Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:58 pm

heeman10 wrote:jd - Bruntingthorpe is the Fast Ford Fiesta Thrash, one day in the first week of April matey, you'll see the thread in Events :)

yeah i know about that, thought it was names out of a hat type thing, no definates
JJ
My ebay stuff http://shop.ebay.co.uk/merchant/2.0zetec

Is that the best you can do?
www.volvot5.co.uk - www.germanshepherdsuk.co.uk
2000 V70 T5 SE - 2.3, 5 cylinder, 20V, VVT, Turbo, 250bhp, cream leather, climate control, the works!
jdfiesta
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Your car: V70 T5

Postby heeman10 on Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:07 pm

Well it was kind of my idea, so I'd be upset if I'm not "included"... I originally wanted to hire Brunters for a bunch of us, but they didn't get back to me, and Fast Ford magazine offered to take 12 of us there with timing equipment etc, that's how it all came about :)
James .:. 193bhp/245lbft Zetec Turbo Mk3. Click sig for conversion thread + videos .:.
heeman10
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Excursion on Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:52 pm

heeman10 wrote:Oh, and the chatter IS still here, followed by a very hushed whoosh of dumped air after 1 second. Love it :)

SOUND CLIPS :D

Do a pawn montage :D
Excursion
Bulletin Board User
Bulletin Board User
Your car: Ford Fiesta

Car: 1990 Ford Fiesta XR2i

Postby heeman10 on Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:48 pm

Will get the camera in it next time I can get to it without a doubt! I also need to find a camera car that can keep up within reason, my mate's Fabia VRS TDI may be the ticket! Will upload anything I come back with, still need Dr FcukX again :lol:
heeman10
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby heeman10 on Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:57 pm

Update

I'm going to Urban Racing tomorrow to get the new Yokohama A539s I ordered fitted. Also, I called up MSD this afternoon and am booked in on Thursday March 16th for a slight boost tweak. My car currently peaks briefly at 15psi, and holds 12psi. I want it to hold 15psi, spiking at around 16/17psi, which should nudge me up to roughly 250bhp for Bruntingthorpe. I'll leave the car running on its switchable two-stage boost so as to prevent me from going nuts the entire time :lol: I may up the boost myself, then let the boys at MSD take it for a run with their remote Lambda sensor in the exhaust to check it's not running lean at the top. Then bring on the quick stuff!! :D
heeman10
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Excursion on Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:00 pm

heeman10 wrote: I'll leave the car running on its switchable two-stage boost so as to prevent me from going nuts the entire time :lol:

LOL!!
Excursion
Bulletin Board User
Bulletin Board User
Your car: Ford Fiesta

Car: 1990 Ford Fiesta XR2i

Postby Mikee_RS on Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:51 pm

heeman10 wrote:Update

I'm going to Urban Racing tomorrow to get the new Yokohama A539s I ordered fitted. Also, I called up MSD this afternoon and am booked in on Thursday March 16th for a slight boost tweak. My car currently peaks briefly at 15psi, and holds 12psi. I want it to hold 15psi, spiking at around 16/17psi, which should nudge me up to roughly 250bhp for Bruntingthorpe. I'll leave the car running on its switchable two-stage boost so as to prevent me from going nuts the entire time :lol: I may up the boost myself, then let the boys at MSD take it for a run with their remote Lambda sensor in the exhaust to check it's not running lean at the top. Then bring on the quick stuff!! :D

nice mate

how much do they charge for the that roughly

pm me if u dont want to disclose it on here :D
Image Image Image
Mikee_RS
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Car: 1995 Ford Fiesta

Postby heeman10 on Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:04 pm

PM sent :)
heeman10
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby mrviper on Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:29 am

gow will your standard pistons cope :o :o

we shal see :D
mrviper
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby heeman10 on Sat Mar 04, 2006 3:07 am

The pistons will be fine with the boost ;) It's prolonged periods of high revs under high load levels that would/will see the pistons off, but I drive accordingly :)
heeman10
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby MarkRS2K on Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:52 am

good stuff dude :)
MarkRS2K
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Max M4X WW on Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:21 am

Get it on the rollers!
Max M4X WW
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: Merc CL500

Car: 2014 BMW M135i

Postby Mikee_RS on Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:07 pm

heeman10 wrote: but I drive accordingly :)

i fcuking cudnt :lol:
Image Image Image
Mikee_RS
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Car: 1995 Ford Fiesta

Postby scotty_boy on Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:44 pm

:lol: :lol: You're a student living away from home yet you manage to go out and buy semi-track tyres and more fiddling on the rollers. I have to save up all month for a tank of fuel!! :cry: Do farmers pay for you to interfere with their sheep to release tension?
scotty_boy
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby j_man69 on Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:00 pm

heeman10 wrote:Update

seen you at urban racing today, with rawli ?

i was sat in a white berlingo van neasr that digger lol

my brother was in there ordering me a new coilover spanner
project fez has landed !!
j_man69
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby heeman10 on Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:51 am

Max- No need! :lol: :p

scotty - Yep, that's right :) Ovine or bovine, I'm not fussy ;)

j_man69 - Yep that most certainly was me, and that was the beginning of the end of the worst day in my life as a Fiesta owner, absolutely unreal day. I don't know how much you saw, but my clutch pedal gave up about 1 minute before we arrived, and it's now utterly dead. All the guys at Urban Racing stayed till 6, trying to get it all in a state to drive home, which it very nearly did. I ended up being towed on the back of an RAC Transit van to my mate's house, extremely dejected and beaten. So many flawless miles of fast and fun motoring, I suppose I deserved today really. It'll be back, HOPEfully for Bruntingthorpe in 3 weeks' time :-? Probably not for its day at MSD for the boost increase though :( You should've introduced yourself!
heeman10
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby j_man69 on Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:00 am

gutted fore ya

hopefully all will be well

car looked ace by the way cant wait till i cant afford a mint rst
project fez has landed !!
j_man69
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby heeman10 on Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:12 am

Cheers matey :) The price of good condition FRST's is still pretty affordable really, so I'm sure you'll end up with one in the end :) Today's nightmare just shows that no matter how "reliable" you make your car, when using more highly-stressed components, things to wear out and need replacing/uprating. It's the name of the game, it's why car manufacturers and race teams do so much testing :)
heeman10
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Brammer on Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:53 am

Unlucky fella, 1 step forward, two back i hate it when you think its all well then...... another item on the shopping list :rolleyes: just out of interest what pistons do they use for 1.8zetec turbo, as in what donor car???or do they sell off the shelf items now for this engine??
Brammer
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: Sierra Cosworth

Postby FezzR on Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:27 am

was it the clutch ratchet?

you running an AP paddle arent you with a manual adjuster ratchet?
FezzR
God Damn Lazy
God Damn Lazy

Postby heeman10 on Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:46 am

Chris - True, in some ways. One of my mates says "That car's always breaking", which is entirely untrue. It's failed twice - the gearbox mount snapping back in August, and the clutch ratchet breaking yesterday. These things are all to be expected with a car such as the Fiesta, or any road car which has been modified to produce, and handle more power than originally.

Ian - Yep, it's the ratchet. It's all on the OEM auto adjustor, and I've never changed the pedal or ratchet since I got the car five years ago. Just very bad timing really, I need to source the parts pronto, including a metal quadrant hopefully, I just don't know who sells those. But yeah, AP 4 paddle.
heeman10
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby niracka on Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:07 am

oooooooooooh good for traffic then :lol:. Do u get ur insurance well cheap cos of the farm dude?
niracka
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Your car: E46 M3

Postby FezzR on Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:54 am

did well for it to last that long to be fair,

as for metal ratchet never seen or heard of them being used but was going to suggest you try and get one made up from what ive heard about the AP paddle clutches there good for chewing them up, youll need the part on the adjuster that sits against the ratchet too.
did you do the cable when you did the box? if not nows a good a time as any for that too :Q
FezzR
God Damn Lazy
God Damn Lazy

Postby heeman10 on Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:27 pm

niracka - I don't live on a farm, but it is very rural, and yes, it's amazing for insurance! :D

Ian - I know I saw a metal ratchet a while ago, and someone at Urban Racing mentioned them too. I just have no idea where it was! I don't have time to get one made up, so a normal one will have to do for now. I have a brand new clutch cable and ERST clutch quadrant..back home in plastic bags :rolleyes:
heeman10
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Max M4X WW on Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:32 pm

Dan with the cossie fiesta made one :)
Max M4X WW
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: Merc CL500

Car: 2014 BMW M135i

Postby StreetDragster on Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:30 pm

heeman10 wrote:Ian - I know I saw a metal ratchet a while ago, and someone at Urban Racing mentioned them too. I just have no idea where it was! I don't have time to get one made up, so a normal one will have to do for now. I have a brand new clutch cable and ERST clutch quadrant..back home in plastic bags :rolleyes:

Stop mucking about and fit the manual clutch adjust mechanism, just don't ask me to help you do it :P
StreetDragster
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby heeman10 on Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:04 pm

:lol: Well, kind sir Scort has made me up a new, all-metal, manual adjust clutch pedal which is on its way up to me as we speak :D Clutch cable, gearbox lever arm and pinch bolt/nut are all on order at Ford, so I aim to do it all on Saturday. Fingers crossed :) Need to get it all fitted so I can show your Evo what's what :lol: :rolleyes:
heeman10
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby FezzR on Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:52 pm

is it just the ratchet or the other working components with it? going manual adjustment?

plastic on metal will just cause it to fail sooner i fear
FezzR
God Damn Lazy
God Damn Lazy

Postby Captain Tightpants on Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:32 pm

:D

It's an all metal affair, with a manual adjustment bolt in the pedal. Hopefully it should go swimmingly, trouble with me not having a fiesta is not knowing how much space I have to play with. Hopefully it will be ok!

Steve
Captain Tightpants
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby FezzR on Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:16 pm

naff all room really bloody things
FezzR
God Damn Lazy
God Damn Lazy

Postby heeman10 on Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:35 pm

I'll trust your judgement Steve ;)
heeman10
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby StreetDragster on Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:49 am

heeman10 wrote::lol: Well, kind sir Scort has made me up a new, all-metal, manual adjust clutch pedal which is on its way up to me as we speak :D Clutch cable, gearbox lever arm and pinch bolt/nut are all on order at Ford, so I aim to do it all on Saturday. Fingers crossed :) Need to get it all fitted so I can show your Evo what's what :lol: :rolleyes:

Looking forward to it mate :P
StreetDragster
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby heeman10 on Sat May 27, 2006 7:26 pm

Update from 10/5/06 (copied from General)

They're here! :aviator:

Front unit dismantled (yes, that's the first thing I did once I'd ripped the bubble wrap to shreds in a flurry of limbs :lol: ):

Front uni re-assembled:

Rear unit dismantled, showing C-spanner for adjusting the spring platforms, and the smal blue anodised knob is the damping adjusted for the front struts, which are top adjustable:

Base of rear unit:

A better shot of the top adjustor on the front strut:

Front and rear springs. As I've said, if it's too stiff, I can order new springs all round to my specified stiffness, so I'll just see how I go on these for now:

I've got new top rubbers for the front from Ford, and will be going over to the car tomorrow to spend the day fitting them and tweaking them. Cannot wait!!! They're very nicely made, and the threads are too good to be true. Bring on tomorrow :D
heeman10
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby heeman10 on Sat May 27, 2006 7:27 pm

Update from 12.5.06 (copied from General)

Overslept this morning, so only left in the Metro at about 12pm! Then after 25 mins crap driving in that, I suddenly realised that in my haste to leave, I'd left the bloody suspension behind!! So had to turn back JUST before I got there and do the whole tedious drive again! :rolleyes:

Got there and got stuck in..one hour to remove the front right strut, swap bits over, re-fit it and get it back on the ground. That was fine by me :) Estimated the ride height to set the coilover at before I bolted it in, and came out with the 5-10mm drop I wanted :)

Came to to do the left hand side..locking wheel nut was very very tight, and after much trying, it skidded off. It's a Ford one, and is a totally crap design :x Four very short studs are meant to locate in four very shallow holes on the nut, and they're just rubbish. I had the tyres changed about 2 months ago, and god knows what torque they did it up to. The nuts are crap, but I've never had so much bother. Used my mate's electric gun...the key wasn't slipping on the nut, but it simply would not come loose, with a 200ftlb gun. Anyway..fitted the rear coilovers (about 25 mins per side) and drove it to ATS, as my mate's dad knew someone there.

Annoyingly..I assumed he'd have some experience with locking nuts, and let him have a go with the air gun. He casually rested it in place, rather than locating is securely and putting all his wait behind it, and blasted the gun, skidding the nut key all over the nut, chewing it up :x:x:x I took the gun off him and said I needed to do it. I managed to get a few goes before it couldn't grip any more..probably three three second blasts with it..just clicking round on the ratchet. That was a bloody powerful gun, so what the hell can I do with it now? :( Totally stumped, and riding around with on Gmax strut and three coilovers.

Anyway..some pics...

First, checked the ride height up front by finding that my tin of copper grease would juuust slide under the number plate:

I wanted it to drop by about 5-10mm, so once it was all swapped and back on the ground, that would be my guide. Gmax front alongside Gaz front:

The top of the previous suspension. The top bearing housing and bearing needed swapping over to the Gaz:

Here are the bearing and housing:

All swapped over and fully assembled, with my approximation of required spring platform position. Note the copper grease as well. The locking grub screw in the spring platform is also greased:

New rubber top mount from Ford on the left, old mount on the right, all splayed out and rank:

Front right side all fitted:

Back left, with the original top cup fitted to the Gaz unit, and again my estimated spring platform height, which again..gave me just the height I wanted! I just did it my adjusting it till the Gaz strut, when fully compressed against the spring, was about 50mm shorter than the Gmax. The springs on the Gaz are stiffer, so I hoped that'd work out at about a 20mm drop, which it did:

And back left fitted:

Both rear sides were very quick and easy, and the car now looks like this:

It's 20mm lower front and back on the right hand side than the left, but that'll be mostly down to the front right shock still being Gmax :x So sadly I haven't really been able to experience the full effect of them, and my tracking will be way out at the moment too. It'll have to wait till after FITP now though for me to have another go with the wheel nut..somehow :-?
heeman10
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

PreviousNext

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.