My big ZT thread > 15.4.08 25bhp/20lbft extra and track prep

Post pics of your Fiesta here.

Postby Captain Tightpants on Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:44 pm

Nice work mate!!

Don't know much about the interior loom of a Fiesta mate. The only things that link the ECU to the interior loom directly are the RPM counter, and the Fuel pump. Most of the rest is wired to the fuse box. The ECU loom is where your problem will no doubt lie. That is provided the ecu wasn't f**cked to start with.

Steve
Captain Tightpants
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Max M4X WW on Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:52 pm

That thinggy is too neat :lol:
Max M4X WW
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: Merc CL500

Car: 2014 BMW M135i

Postby heeman10 on Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:56 pm

Steve - It's good to know you don't believe all my snipping will have caused this ECU meltdown either. My dad's expecting nothing to work now I've been modifying the loom. I traced all the wires around the circuit diagram before I chopped things out to make sure nothing else would be affected. Rear speakers, e/w, c/l and stuff...it's all low-key stuff, nothing major, and they stop where they start really, don't interfere with other earths etc. I will have a long hard run through the engine bay loom if there are no handy, cheap replacements around! :lol:

Max - Umm...yes, ok! It's an uprated thingy!
James .:. 193bhp/245lbft Zetec Turbo Mk3. Click sig for conversion thread + videos .:.
heeman10
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: Audi TT TDI Quattro S line

Postby Max M4X WW on Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:05 pm

Youve removed E/W & C/L :-?

Because you allready have them wired in i presume.
Max M4X WW
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Captain Tightpants on Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:06 pm

Post the thing to me! I will return it looking lovely!

Steve
Captain Tightpants
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby heeman10 on Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:12 pm

Max - I wrote that oddly. I removed the plugs, and the speaker wires attached to them, but will wire in the original wires to my c/l wires where they pass through from the door. I don't want e/w really, so was happy to lose the bulk of the extra wiring. I snipped the b/r out without really thinking - I would've kept that, but these long days are taking their toll on my brain!! I'll keep my original b/r wiring though, including the switch light wiring.

Steve - You're on!!!!!!!!! Definitely!!!!!!! PM your address through again matey ;)
James .:. 193bhp/245lbft Zetec Turbo Mk3. Click sig for conversion thread + videos .:.
heeman10
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby andyhardy on Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:21 pm

Good work mate - keep up the pace :)

Cheers,

Andy
Carburetted CVH p-p-powa!
andyhardy
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby scarlet_pimp_mobile on Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:08 am

heeman10 wrote:Before:

After:

That is dedication to your cause :o

keep this up, the momentum is building :aviator:

" San Diego... German ofcourse, meaning 'A Whale's Vagina' "
scarlet_pimp_mobile
Post Master
Post Master

Location: Hurst Green, East Sussex/ Constitution Hill, Swansea

Postby heeman10 on Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:44 pm

Yeah you could say I'm fairly dedicated to it!! :) Today I fitted the FRST steering rack (which bizarrely enough...seemed to take more turns lock-to-lock than my diesel rack, but I'm going to put that down to my brain being over-Fiesta'd over the last week!

Also removed the gearbox cradle and gearbox mounts. The cradle needs the mount holes drilling out to 22mm, which I need to do at uni next week, then will get it powder coated as it's pretty tatty. New mounts compared to old mount:

I rang CTS earlier in the week, and Bernie suspects I may have caused some damage to the box when it was towed dry, but said to fill it with oil and hope for the best, as I could make a lucky escape. I bought all the (expensive :rolleyes: ) oil from Halfords and filled it today. It rolled freely both in neutral and fifth, which was a really really good sign, as it clunked and wouldn't even roll last time :aaah:

So this was the last day working on the car for a while...time to do the usual and order lots of parts to arrive, waiting for me the next time I can make it back! Next time I come home I should be able to get some things really shifting, and with the new ECU and starter motor/alternator wiring, it'll hopefully be all go for starting the engine at long last! :D
heeman10
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby FezzR on Sat Apr 02, 2005 7:15 pm

jim first of all really good to see all this progress, shame ive made absolutely none lol

as for ecu, there is no way i would put another ecu anywhere near the loom again untill id checked every wire, and then check voltages with ignition on,

i would repair the burnt out tracks on the ecu and use that to make sure there is nout else wrong, if you burn the same one twice then no probs.

as for gearbox, i would have filled the box with cheap oil first, then drained it, and made sure no swarf came out in the oil.
FezzR
God Damn Lazy
God Damn Lazy

Postby Project on Sat Apr 02, 2005 7:51 pm

Err, Jimbob, what ECU is that?

And what loom are you using?

I have a sneaking suspicion...
<< I need to put something here, yer? >>
Project
fiftyoneCL
fiftyoneCL

Postby AndyRS1800 on Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:44 pm

Good work lad, really impressed, you really have inspired me to pull my finger out and fin my fez off

Rawli... i know i will never live it down if i dont fin the fez, sort me out a date for sprayin the car, i'm not puttin 17's on yet, goin for the 16's...

:D
AndyRS1800
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby FezzR on Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:09 pm

edited cos im an idiot im sure noone can argue :D
Last edited by FezzR on Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FezzR
God Damn Lazy
God Damn Lazy

Postby heeman10 on Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:58 pm

What are you mumbo jumbo people talking about?

Al - AFAIK I have an OFAC FRST ECU and FRST OFAC engine bay loom :-? I've never seen or worked with any petrol Fiesta stuff before really, so can only go by what I've been told, which for a lot of things doesn't seem to be correct so far :-? Scort's taking a look at the loom for me because he's a genius and I'm just an iconic cartoon character :)

FezzR - That would've been a good idea, I'll leave that job down to the magnet this time.

Andy - Get yer bloody arse in gear! How long's it been? 8 years? Get a few solid sessions in on it and it'll be right as rain, it's not rocket science (provided it doesn't involve wires! :lol: )
heeman10
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Project on Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:07 pm

Heeman - where did the ECU and loom come from?
<< I need to put something here, yer? >>
Project
fiftyoneCL
fiftyoneCL

Postby heeman10 on Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:08 pm

mikee_rs. He said the ECU was fine though, as he had his car running on it, and AFAIK it's the same loom it was running on, but maybe that's the problem. From the state of it, I'd say there could be damage in there, but are you suggesting the loom is from a 2i or something?
heeman10
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby heeman10 on Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:34 pm

Argh! Did I connect up the injector loom connector to the interior loom instead of the engine loom connector?!!!! :aaah: :aaah: :aaah: I feel enormous embarassment brewing :cry::cry:
heeman10
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby andyhardy on Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:51 pm

heeman10 wrote:Argh! Did I connect up the injector loom connector to the interior loom instead of the engine loom connector?!!!! :aaah: :aaah: :aaah: I feel enormous embarassment brewing :cry::cry:

It is uncommon for an ECU to burn it's own tracks out mate - perhaps it could explain some of what happened! :aaah:
andyhardy
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby FezzR on Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:11 pm

one thing to say if you did

NUMPTY :lol:
FezzR
God Damn Lazy
God Damn Lazy

Postby Rab on Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:58 am

Wow... This is a hell of a topic! Heeman10, well done m8! I'm well impressed with your skill and dedication! :o

One engineer to another 8)

Dump Valves are SH*T.

Rab
Poster
Poster

Postby heeman10 on Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:15 pm

Mandy/LezzR - I'm not 100% sure that's what I did, but it's certainly a possibility, seeing as both plugs are the same :rolleyes: Sent out three emails to ECU vendors yesterday morning and have no replies :rolleyes:

Rab - Cheers :)

Update
As the callipers from Wilwood come with smooth-drilled holes (ie no threads to mount them) I drilled them out to 10.2mm and cut M12 threads in all four mount holes. Clamping them to get a truly perpendicular bore/thread proved to be a bit tricky, but it's all finished and sweet now :)

The same needed doing to the calliper mounting brackets so they can be bolted to the hub carriers, so they're also drilled and tapped out to M12 threads. I can now mount the brakes next time I go home, and once my custom braided brake lines turn up! :D (Wilwood calipers use an imperial thread on the "fluid in" port)

I polished up my oil breather pot and ISCV today too, looking nice...pics up later :)
heeman10
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby FezzR on Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:02 pm

heeman10 wrote:Mandy/LezzR - I'm not 100% sure that's what I did, but it's certainly a possibility, seeing as both plugs are the same :rolleyes: Sent out three emails to ECU vendors yesterday morning and have no replies :rolleyes:

no need to get all offended m8 if you did plug it in wrong your a numpty, but at the end of the day at least your getting out there and doing it, you do your car up how you want it,
i have all the tools and skills, and my fiesta is just sad on the drive wasting away,

at least your not a lazy **** like me
FezzR
God Damn Lazy
God Damn Lazy

Postby andyhardy on Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:18 pm

What FezzR said - I wasn't being derogatory towards you either James.

I don't have the balls to do half the work you're doing - it's great to see someone going to all the effort themselves :)

As for getting replies from ECU vendors - welcome to my world! :lol:

So how much more time have you got to work on the car then mate?

Cheers,

Andy
andyhardy
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby heeman10 on Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:11 pm

Dudes! I didn't take offence at all! Rolling eyes aren't aimed at anyone :)

Andy - Someone on here's selling an OFAC ECU, so I'll hopefully get my hands on that if it's all good. It's looking as though I can get the wiring I was missing, the ECU, radiator, intercooler, my repaired engine loom and all the chromed polished bits I've just sent off by next week, so I may be able to get back next weekend and get far enough to start it up.

Today's picture update:

Drilling the Wilwood callipers:

Tapping them with big M12 threads:

My ISCV which I polished up as a mid-way break during the drilling/tapping:

And YUM, my Rawli RS lights which he dropped off today! Absolutely love them, and cannot WAIT to get them on the car - a lovely final touch :)

Thanks beeyatch! :D

And the finished result of my afternoon's efforts, my M12 callipers and brackets. I need to machine off 3mm from one of the bracket faces tomorrow, to get the correct offset so the caliper sits in the centre of the disc:

Also on the cards for tomorrow...making up billet aluminium spacers to space the gearbox cradle away from the chassis to lower the engine/gearbox.
heeman10
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Max M4X WW on Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:45 pm

Bloody RS light replica people :lol: Nice work, But seriously - Stop Polishing :lol:

I love your 'not too ott' looking brakes. Dont look as lary as full on massive 4pot things :)
Max M4X WW
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby heeman10 on Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:51 pm

I know, I'm sure there will be quite a few of these RS light replicas around before too long, but you've got to love them :)

I think the brakes will look good...should've taken a photo of them with a wheel on really. But I know what you mean, they're not gold and shiny and shouting "look at me, I'm a huge brake conversion!" :lol: Still not small though...

heeman10
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Max M4X WW on Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:54 pm

Quel size? Forgotten. I woudlnt trust an elastic band tbh. :oooh:
Max M4X WW
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby heeman10 on Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:55 pm

The discs are 285mm...for now....and I think I will be discarding the lacky band.
heeman10
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Max M4X WW on Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:57 pm

Cool. I was forgetting they would be much bigger than the ST150's because of your wheels. :bonkers:

I must get myself some sorted out once my kits on.
Max M4X WW
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby RS_Rawli on Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:54 pm

nice lights jimbo, someone drove a lot of miles sat on the floor to bring u them :P
RS_Rawli
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby heeman10 on Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:47 pm

Sat on the floor? You had no driver's seat?!!! :o :aaah: I know you and Jo like going out for old folks drives on Tuesday afternoons! :lol:
heeman10
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby MarkRS2K on Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:35 pm

Rawli theres something different about those lights, are their only lightly sprayed/tinted? They look good IMO :)
MarkRS2K
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby RS_Rawli on Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:03 pm

m4frd wrote:Rawli theres something different about those lights, are their only lightly sprayed/tinted? They look good IMO :)

theyre not done using tinting spray ;)

they look really good in real life, well i reckon so and thats teh 8th set ive done so they must do :wink:
RS_Rawli
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby MarkRS2K on Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:24 pm

So how do we order? :D
MarkRS2K
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby heeman10 on Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:25 pm

m4frd wrote:So how do we order? :D

You don't wanna know! :o

There really is going to be a crazy number of RS replica rear lights isn't there?
heeman10
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

PreviousNext

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.