New camera, new enthusiasm, NEW SITE!

Comments, suggestions and questions about the site.

Postby AdrianFRST on Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:15 pm

It's only taken 11 and a bit years but here's the latest evolution in the fiestaturbo.com story. So much to say but I'll try and keep it brief for now:

NEW SITE!: http://www.fiestaturbo.com

• I've been working on the new site on and off since 2001, I've restarted from scratch three times. The latest one I started in December 2009.
  • This is a completely bespoke backend written from scratch, it doesn't use an existing product like Wordpress.
  • Only the basic site is live, additional features will be added soon - there's a whole flickr like gallery system I've written which is currently powering the show galleries but will be for forum users too.
  • It's still WIP so some things don't work, or don't look right yet.

The site has expanded to cover all Fiesta models, the mk3 is knocking on a bit so it needs to move with the times. [EDIT] I did plan to change the name from fiestaturbo to fiestamods but this didn't go down too well - see below.

New camera

It should be pretty obvious from the homepage of the new site what I've been doing with this, and all the photos have the EXIF info underneath, so if you're interested you can see what kit I'm using.

New enthusiasm

Now I'm a homeowner with a garage I'm itching to get another project car, almost certainly a Mk7 Fiesta. I had a budget to get started but I kinda burnt through all that buying camera gear, so this won't happen for a while, probably when the new site is fully up and running and has got a bit of exposure. As you can see I was at Ford Fair, and will be at Trax too, so the main site will not be lacking in content.

So, quite a bit of news and I'm only just getting started really!

Adrian.
AdrianFRST
Baby Battle Scratch
Baby Battle Scratch

Your car: ..? Pretty car..!

Car: 2010 Ford Focus RS

Re: New camera, new enthusiasm, NEW SITE!

Postby Chris 2i on Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:26 pm

Looks alright, name change is stupid though. You've taken an established name and destroyed it to start over, I don't really understand the logic behind this.
Chris 2i
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Chris 2i on Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:33 pm

It's also lucky I havent had the event shelter branded or got on with the fiestaturbo.com mugs either yet isn't it?
Chris 2i
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby knuckles on Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:41 pm

I also agree that changing such a well know established name to something like that will be a final nail in the coffin on this forum.

I certainly for one won't be putting a fiestamods sticker in my car window.
Rather put a ripspeed one on

Sorry for my harshness but that's how strong I feel about the name.
ImageImage
~nomad~ wrote:Good god I love Clark.
knuckles
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: Fiesta Rs turbo

Postby Tygress on Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:42 pm

I Totally Agree With Chris... Why Change The Name?, It's So Well Known?! :(
Don't Be Afraid Of Fear, Let It Be Afraid Of You!
Tygress
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Your car: Ford Fiesta Zetec S!

Postby Tweek on Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:45 pm

As with above. I did feel it rather inevitable that this site's name would change when the "revamp" comes along. Although, as already stated, Fiestamods? Sounds like a club for 17yr olds in Halfords car parks :-?

On the flip side though, the new site looks fantastic, it's just that name...
Tweek
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: VW Golf GTD

Car: 1996 Ford Fiesta Zetec Turbo

Postby Mustoe91 on Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:48 pm

I've only been on this site for 2 years or so but so many people I know my age know the name fiesta turbo, I just don't see why it should be changed ?

Why change something that's not broken ?
Mustoe91
Poster
Poster

Your car: RS1800

Postby Tweek on Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:50 pm

The "turbo" name would still work. There's a few Zetec Turbo projects coming along, combine that with a new site and our work continuing to make the show stands more presentable will be a great force to lure in higher profiled cars :)
Tweek
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby xr2i_babe on Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:05 pm

i also have to agree with everyone else and say that i disagree with the name change! it will be going from a well known site to just another fiesta site, i really think the name should stay the same!
xr2i_babe
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby - Danny Boy - on Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:07 pm

I agree with everyone else. I thought the name was a joke...

FT is such an established name, it's well known and respectable.

The new site looks nice, but the name... big no.
- Danny Boy -
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Your car: Fiesta Si 2.0

Postby AdrianFRST on Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:32 pm

Blimey, didn't expect this reaction!

Not a problem at all - I've changed it back.

(You might need to hard refresh or clear your cache, I'm using some techniques to speed things up which means things aren't automatically refreshed).

The people have spoken, so it stays as FT. My thinking was the "turbo" in the name alienated non-turbo owners (people have told me this in the past). Obviously that's not the case.

I can't run both versions of the site on the same domain at the moment, so it'll stay on that domain until I work out how best to upload it without breaking anything.

Now I've rectified that little faux pax, what do you think of the new version?
AdrianFRST
Baby Battle Scratch
Baby Battle Scratch

Postby Smo on Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:37 pm

Nice photos, Ade!

So are you intending to stick with fiestaturbo.com now? Obviously only a very small percentage of users own a Fiesta RS Turbo, but it is what it is, almost a well known brand these days!

Glad the enthusiasm's back and look forward to your new project :D

Edit: You've answered part of that now!
Last edited by Smo on Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Smo
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Car: 1990 Ford Fiesta Popular Plus

Postby jayrs on Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:41 pm

new layout does look alright i gotta say.
wheres the rest of the fordfair stuff thought? like pt2.

surprised theres not a pic of the complete club stand though, i know your trying to come away from 'fiestaturbo' but the centre bit of the stand was made up of mk3s, and a lot of FRST's too, the guys doing the stand done a cracking job though, wayne, chris etc :D

agree with the name change, fiestamods.com doesnt sound right.

EDIT, nice to see the name change isn't going ahead, i know the forum needs something, but i dont think a name change is the thing mate

i dont think you have anything to worry about though ade, xrtwo.com has many fiestas on there, ok, mainly mk1 and 2's, but there not all 'xr2's' theres std ones, zetec, turbos, rwd, super sports etc, and many other models, some not even fords, so i think with some added plugging of the site in the right places, were pull in more people.
jayrs
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: FRST, XR2, ST170, ST225

Car: 1991 Ford Fiesta RS Turbo

Postby - Danny Boy - on Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:42 pm

I think people will be glad to hear it's staying.

On the photography side of it, awesome pics! Love a bit of wide open aperture to get a shallow depth of field! Works so well with car pictures :D
- Danny Boy -
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Your car: Fiesta Si 2.0

Postby Chris 2i on Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:51 pm

Thanks Ade, it's the right decision in my opinion. I think a descriptive section on the main site explaining its not just for turbo owners will be sufficient.

When I first joined I had an XR2i, the name didn't put me off. I joined because of the users knowledge and the plethora of information available. If you look at a lot of the more active newer members you'll see a similar story.

Wayne (Tweek) and I have worked hard to arrange the shows and raise funds for new equipment, we are happy to speak to you about our plans for this, and would be happy to hear of any ideas you may have.
Chris 2i
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby dontpannic on Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:55 pm

Like that a lot Ade, well laid out. Not sure on the 'search results' when you click on the menu items but I'm sure once it's more heavily populated it will make more sense. I'm guessing that works on tags?

What is running behind it, Wordpress?

Sent from my Casio FX-83GTPLUS
dontpannic
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: Fiesta ST / Saxo VTS track car

Car: 2007 Ford Fiesta ST

Postby AdrianFRST on Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:56 pm

jayrs wrote:wheres the rest of the fordfair stuff thought? like pt2.

surprised theres not a pic of the complete club stand though

More posts to come. Another 200+ photos from Ford Fair. I needed to get something up ASAP to show Future Publishing, part of the media requirements. Now that's done I can knuckle down and upload the other pics. I've processed them, they just need the titles and descriptions doing.
AdrianFRST
Baby Battle Scratch
Baby Battle Scratch

Postby Chris 2i on Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:58 pm

Just finished looking at the site and I do like the layout of the ford fair article. I'll take a more in depth look next time I'm on a pc.

EDIT: have I missed something? What's the deal with future publishing?
Last edited by Chris 2i on Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris 2i
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby jayrs on Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:01 pm

AdrianFRST wrote:
jayrs wrote:wheres the rest of the fordfair stuff thought? like pt2.

surprised theres not a pic of the complete club stand though

More posts to come. Another 200+ photos from Ford Fair. I needed to get something up ASAP to show Future Publishing, part of the media requirements. Now that's done I can knuckle down and upload the other pics. I've processed them, they just need the titles and descriptions doing.

ah right cool, fair play fella, ill wait for it :)
jayrs
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: FRST, XR2, ST170, ST225

Car: 1991 Ford Fiesta RS Turbo

Postby AdrianFRST on Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:03 pm

Chris 2i wrote:Thanks Ade, it's the right decision in my opinion. I think a descriptive section on the main site explaining its not just for turbo owners will be sufficient.

I'm hoping that tons of photos of non mk3/3.5s will help too. On the current site I think every photo is a mk3/3.5.

Chris 2i wrote:Wayne (Tweek) and I have worked hard to arrange the shows and raise funds for new equipment, we are happy to speak to you about our plans for this, and would be happy to hear of any ideas you may have.

Even though I've not been involved with this I really appreciated the work you guys have done. I'd love to hear of any plans and I'll do my best to help out.

Sheriff Burman wrote:Like that a lot Ade, well laid out. Not sure on the 'search results' when you click on the menu items but I'm sure once it's more heavily populated it will make more sense. I'm guessing that works on tags?

What you're seeing there is actually a form of 404 page - it runs a search if the URL doesn't match any content from the database. There's hardly any content up yet and the section index pages are not done yet.

Sheriff Burman wrote:What is running behind it, Wordpress?

Nope, 100% bespoke written from scratch, which partially explains why it took so long. The benefit of this besides teaching me a lot, is that I can make it do anything I want. There's some very clever stuff which I'll detail later!
AdrianFRST
Baby Battle Scratch
Baby Battle Scratch

Postby knuckles on Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:05 pm

New site looks nice and fresh. Modern looking indeed.
very impressed with the graphics etc...

Fiestaturbo.com is no longer a mk3 based site. It clearly has evolved into a community for all fiesta's. The name change would of been like rebranding coca cola. But on a slightly smaller scale.

Lastly ade...
Without sounding harsh or mean here , but you attended ford fair but didn't pop over to speak to the ppl that make this stand happen or the ppl that attend year in year out with their cars to represent the site.
I for one would of like to of seen you & catch up since I haven't seen you since I collected the recaro fiesta from you all them years ago.
ImageImage
~nomad~ wrote:Good god I love Clark.
knuckles
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: Fiesta Rs turbo

Postby AdrianFRST on Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:06 pm

Chris 2i wrote:Just finished looking at the site and I do like the layout of the ford fair article. I'll take a more in depth look next time I'm on a pc.

I had to rush out the HTML/CSS code a bit just to get the site up, but I'll be redoing it soon and making it work great on phone / iPads etc. If you're lucky enough to have an iPad3 or Retina Macbook Pro then you'll get retina images - even the show photos (ie. 2280x1520 rather than 1140x760)
AdrianFRST
Baby Battle Scratch
Baby Battle Scratch

Postby Chris 2i on Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:12 pm

AdrianFRST wrote:
Chris 2i wrote:Wayne (Tweek) and I have worked hard to arrange the shows and raise funds for new equipment, we are happy to speak to you about our plans for this, and would be happy to hear of any ideas you may have.

Even though I've not been involved with this I really appreciated the work you guys have done. I'd love to hear of any plans and I'll do my best to help out.

Thanks, we are also keen to see ft re-expand so itll be good to bounce some ideas around. I'll send you a PM about it soon enough
Chris 2i
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby AdrianFRST on Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:14 pm

knuckles wrote:Lastly ade...
Without sounding harsh or mean here , but you attended ford fair but didn't pop over to speak to the ppl that make this stand happen or the ppl that attend year in year out with their cars to represent the site.
I for one would of like to of seen you & catch up since I haven't seen you since I collected the recaro fiesta from you all them years ago.

Yes, I need to apologise for that. I wanted to keep the fact I was there under wraps so I could spring a double surprise (new site and the resuming of show pics) but thinking about it on the way home from the point of view of you guys I realised it was a bit of a dick move not to come over.

I'll be at Trax so will say hello then.
AdrianFRST
Baby Battle Scratch
Baby Battle Scratch

Postby Tweek on Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:15 pm

The FT stand was abandoned for Trax due to lack of interest :lol: We're over on Max's stand at FUCCK, "Fernhurst Uber Cool Car Klub" I believe :)

It WILL be back next year though.
Tweek
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Michael! on Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:01 am

new site looks awesome!

i agree with keeping the fiestaturbo.com name, ive never owned a fiesta turbo in my life, probably never will :lol: :aaah:

but i still feel welcome (mostly) on the site and still come on everyday to see all sorts of different project threads.
Looking for other members? Add yourself to the ft.com members map!
ft-com-members-map-vt190192/
Michael!
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Your car: RS1800 Sleeper Project + 6N2

Postby Ollie on Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:18 pm

Looks great! Photo's look amazing too, are they enhanced/edited or as they came from the camera?

Just one thing, you've got fiestaturbo.com twice in the © bit at the bottom. ;)
Ollie
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Your car: VW Polo SEL 1.6 TDI

Car: 1988 Ford Fiesta XR2

Postby AdrianFRST on Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:49 pm

Ollie wrote:Looks great! Photo's look amazing too, are they enhanced/edited or as they came from the camera?

Just one thing, you've got fiestaturbo.com twice in the © bit at the bottom. ;)

Footer fixed, good spot!

Most of the photos are just converted RAWs with a slight contrast and saturation bump (slight as in 10 on a scale of 0-100).

You'll notice some have blue sky and some dark. On the day it was pretty much just overcast white so on some I've done tinted exposure adjustments just to rectify the washed out sky - some of these I tinted blue.
AdrianFRST
Baby Battle Scratch
Baby Battle Scratch

Postby Ollie on Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:27 pm

Nice.

Looking at those pictures I think I need to invest in some better lenses. :lol:
Ollie
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Your car: VW Polo SEL 1.6 TDI

Car: 1988 Ford Fiesta XR2

Postby Excursion on Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:50 pm

Excellent! The new site looks great.

I am all for a name change. I think people tend to associate FT with old cars like the mk3, but times have changed and it would be good to attract a user base who are doing new things to the newer models, as you say. To put it into perspective, my Girlfriend's brother has just passed his test and he hadn't even seen a Mk3 before mine, and he calls my project the 'vintage Fiesta'! It's not a sustainable goal for a Website to appeal to an ever dwindling enthusiast base, especially given that the heyday for FT was back in the late '90's and early 2000's. Those days are obviously long gone!

The site needs new technology in addition to the well known CVH, Zetec etc. and it would be nice to see people go through that whole learning process we did with the Mk3 all those years ago. I'm also thinking back to when I was driving around in an XR2i and starting to modify it, I would have been put off visiting a site with associations with an old model e.g. xr2.com.

Having said the above, the 1.3 Turbo 'Fox' engine is due in the Mk7 Fiesta any time, so the fiestaturbo.com name would still be relevant. Also Ade, hopefully your Mk7 project will attract new members.
Excursion
Bulletin Board User
Bulletin Board User
Your car: Ford Fiesta

Car: 1990 Ford Fiesta XR2i

Postby Tweek on Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:14 pm

At the weekend I got asked by 2 people about getting them some FT stickers for their cars, neither of which were turbos, or mk3s :lol:
Tweek
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Michael! on Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:46 pm

To add to what Wayne said.

A lot of fiesta owners near me ask about my key ring and where to get them?
Looking for other members? Add yourself to the ft.com members map!
ft-com-members-map-vt190192/
Michael!
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Your car: RS1800 Sleeper Project + 6N2

Postby Excursion on Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:52 pm

Tweek wrote:At the weekend I got asked by 2 people about getting them some FT stickers for their cars, neither of which were turbos, or mk3s :lol:

But bear in mind, a lot of retards are currently going through a phase of putting meaningless stickers on things, especially cars :lol:
Excursion
Bulletin Board User
Bulletin Board User

Postby Tweek on Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:57 pm

:lol: I can't diagree with that, but these weren't retards :lol:
Tweek
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Excursion on Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:00 pm

Tweek wrote::lol: I can't diagree with that, but these weren't retards :lol:

:D :oops:
Excursion
Bulletin Board User
Bulletin Board User

Next

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.