New camera, new enthusiasm, NEW SITE!

Comments, suggestions and questions about the site.

Re: New camera, new enthusiasm, NEW SITE!

Postby Chris 2i on Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:29 pm

Michael! wrote:A lot of fiesta owners near me ask about my key ring and where to get them?

Send them my way then!
Chris 2i
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Michael! on Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:20 pm

i will do!

speaking of which, pm me your paypal again and ill have another ;)
Looking for other members? Add yourself to the ft.com members map!
ft-com-members-map-vt190192/
Michael!
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Your car: RS1800 Sleeper Project + 6N2

Postby Nikki_S on Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:58 pm

Liking the look of the new site, its so good to see FT evolving. I am really chuffed for you to have found a renewed intrest in the site and hopefully as a forum we can go from strength to strength.
Nikki_S
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Your car: Focus mk1 RS

Postby Max M4X WW on Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:37 pm

Tweek wrote:The FT stand was abandoned for Trax due to lack of interest :lol: We're over on Max's stand at FUCCK, "Fernhurst Uber Cool Car Klub" I believe :)

It WILL be back next year though.

Yea I feel great now :lol: The Fiesta isn't done either!

Ade, Have you bought a ticket? I have some spare :bonkers:

I think the name has to stay, it can be made into something bigger :D
Max M4X WW
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: Merc CL500

Car: 2014 BMW M135i

Postby andymac on Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:35 pm

Chris 2i wrote:Just finished looking at the site and I do like the layout of the ford fair article. I'll take a more in depth look next time I'm on a pc.

EDIT: have I missed something? What's the deal with future publishing?

Yep, I was wondering what the future publishing link was too. I do miss my 5D, I'll be after another in a year or so, I'm sure.

Could the forums be pushed onto forums.fiestaturbo.com and a redirect from http://www.fiestaturbo.com/forums put in place with a rewrite to sort out the url for direct linking to posts / threads? Your bag though, you know more about hosting than I do.
Nothing to see here...
andymac
Elite Pie Master
Elite Pie Master

Your car: Your car: Your car: Your car:

Postby andymac on Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:48 pm

Moreover, I don't know about the name to be honest, a really big part of me thinks losing fiestaturbo.com is irrelevant these days, particularly given the long-standing absence of an RS edition. However, losing fiestaturbo would be a huge mistake - it's a long-established brand and will need to continue to be maintained to some degree.

Fiestamods, however... really don't know about that, it does conjur up images of halfords car parks to be fair. However, what're the alternatives - sometimes it's better to actually make a decision and go with it than sit on your hands and be batted back and forth by other peoples opinions.

EDIT. Ultimate is good, but I like "the definitive fiesta site" too :P
Nothing to see here...
andymac
Elite Pie Master
Elite Pie Master

Postby AdrianFRST on Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:56 pm

andymac wrote:
Chris 2i wrote:Just finished looking at the site and I do like the layout of the ford fair article. I'll take a more in depth look next time I'm on a pc.

EDIT: have I missed something? What's the deal with future publishing?

Yep, I was wondering what the future publishing link was too.

I got media access to Ford Fair so needed to show them then photos and report, hence the rushing to get something up.

andymac wrote:Could the forums be pushed onto forums.fiestaturbo.com and a redirect from http://www.fiestaturbo.com/forums put in place with a rewrite to sort out the url for direct linking to posts / threads? Your bag though, you know more about hosting than I do.

It could, but forum logins will be used on the main site too, so ideally needs to be the same domain.

Max M4X WW wrote:Ade, Have you bought a ticket? I have some spare :bonkers:

I've got media access to Trax too, so complimentary ticket :D Thanks anyhow!
AdrianFRST
Baby Battle Scratch
Baby Battle Scratch

Your car: ..? Pretty car..!

Car: 2010 Ford Focus RS

Postby andymac on Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:02 pm

So, are you freelancing it or working for future now ?

Also, what realistically, is the problem with replacing the root site at fiestaturbo with what's at fiestamods ? How many people actually look at the root site and don't go straight to the forums (obviously with something that's updated regularly people will look) ? :D
Nothing to see here...
andymac
Elite Pie Master
Elite Pie Master

Postby AdrianFRST on Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:20 pm

Not working for Future, I wouldn't say freelancing either as that would suggest being employed by various people for various jobs which isn't the case either. The pics are for ft and another venture of mine which will be seeing the light soon.

ft will get what's at fiestamods. It's already there just not switched on as theres an issue with the forums login which I need to fix first.
AdrianFRST
Baby Battle Scratch
Baby Battle Scratch

Your car: ..? Pretty car..!

Car: 2010 Ford Focus RS

Postby andymac on Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:41 pm

Sweet
Nothing to see here...
andymac
Elite Pie Master
Elite Pie Master

Postby Max M4X WW on Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:17 pm

AdrianFRST wrote:I've got media access to Trax too, so complimentary ticket :D Thanks anyhow!

Fair enough :P
Max M4X WW
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby ~nomad~ on Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:15 pm

Excursion wrote:Excellent! The new site looks great.

I am all for a name change. I think people tend to associate FT with old cars like the mk3, but times have changed and it would be good to attract a user base who are doing new things to the newer models, as you say. To put it into perspective, my Girlfriend's brother has just passed his test and he hadn't even seen a Mk3 before mine, and he calls my project the 'vintage Fiesta'! It's not a sustainable goal for a Website to appeal to an ever dwindling enthusiast base, especially given that the heyday for FT was back in the late '90's and early 2000's. Those days are obviously long gone!

The site needs new technology in addition to the well known CVH, Zetec etc. and it would be nice to see people go through that whole learning process we did with the Mk3 all those years ago. I'm also thinking back to when I was driving around in an XR2i and starting to modify it, I would have been put off visiting a site with associations with an old model e.g. xr2.com.

Having said the above, the 1.3 Turbo 'Fox' engine is due in the Mk7 Fiesta any time, so the fiestaturbo.com name would still be relevant. Also Ade, hopefully your Mk7 project will attract new members.

This. A more overall name makes more sense, whatever way you look at it people will always think of a mk3 rs turbo if you say fiestaturbo.com.

I also have to say that the first few replies to the thread disgusted me, Ade created this site you all love, and is working to try and revive it, have some respect.
:2004 Merc Vito: - :1983 Nissan Datsun 280zx: - :1992 GT Pro Series: - :2012 Mondraker Dune R:
~nomad~
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: Breadvan

Postby oVerboost. on Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:27 pm

As has been said, new planned site looks great! Well laid out, modern and welcoming too... exactly what the club/site needed! :)
oVerboost.
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Your car: Fiesta RS Turbo

New camera, new enthusiasm, NEW SITE!

Postby ~Tony~ on Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:43 pm

I agree with nomad and excursion, fiestaturbo.com is more than what it's name says, but by this point whatever the name is people will follow if they want to and more will join. When I joined ft it was so alive it was hard to keep up with it, now it hardly moves so I agree something needs to be done and Ade is trying to do this. Whatever name is in use if done right it will thrive again. To me that is all that matters. I have some great friends from this site but although cars may have bought us together they are irrelevant in the grand scheme, same with the name really.
still need to update this sig
~Tony~
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Your car: FRST, FRS mk1, Defender 90

Postby Chris 2i on Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:08 pm

~nomad~ wrote:A more overall name makes more sense, whatever way you look at it people will always think of a mk3 rs turbo if you say fiestaturbo.com.

Why? It's just a name, doesn't have to mean anything.

~nomad~ wrote:I also have to say that the first few replies to the thread disgusted me, Ade created this site you all love, and is working to try and revive it, have some respect.

Re-reading it I see what you mean, however I would hope my subsequent responses would indicate I wasn't intending to be offensive. A lot of effort has gone into keeping people engaged under the fiestaturbo name, and to be informed that it was all going to change without much warning at all did feel a bit like a kick in the teeth. What can I say? I feel passionate about the forum I'm representing and that was my first emotion. I can only apologise if this caused offence.
Chris 2i
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby andymac on Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:35 pm

Ade, worth updating the image display code in phpBB to force a server-side resize now you've implemented the lightbox feature ?

EDIT: I see this works already on attachments, but linked images are still cropped. :)

And any danger of some sort of project schedule; so people know what to expect over the coming months and get an idea of when things will happen / change. :)
Nothing to see here...
andymac
Elite Pie Master
Elite Pie Master

Postby Max M4X WW on Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:04 pm

I'd rather be able to click the images and see high-res personally, if its not being hosted on here it doesn't matter too much in regards to server traffic etc.
Max M4X WW
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby andymac on Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:19 pm

TBF unless you're shifting serious, serious traffic I don't think many hosts (particular where a VPS or dedicated server is being used) charge additional for bandwidth any more. Bandwidth is cheap compared to power etc...
Nothing to see here...
andymac
Elite Pie Master
Elite Pie Master

Postby Ollie on Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:22 pm

Yeah, my hosts kept increasing the bandwidth we all had bit by bit until now it's just unlimited. Not that I actually use much of it. :lol:
Ollie
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Your car: VW Polo SEL 1.6 TDI

Car: 1988 Ford Fiesta XR2

Previous

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.