my XR2Tii project.. ..*BIG PIC*

Post pics of your Fiesta here.

Re: my XR2Tii project.. ..*BIG PIC*

Postby Jur on Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:01 pm

Well, a tiny update.

Have been driving the fiesta to the European Ford Event, which is in fact a bit smaller then it used to be, but since last years fiasco (with canceling the permits for track sessions on the last day) it was a good show this year.. WITH track action.

For me it's just over an hour drive, by mainly the motorways.. only the last few kilometers are by the local roads..
With the rain pooring down the day before, the road was a bit wet at some spots.. but the motorways were clean.. and only slight muc was coming of the road.. but the last few kilometers.. the fiesta got DIRTY )-:

So had to wash the car all over again ..

Apart from the washing, the venue itself was a success for me. The sprint (200m) and slalom was great fun to watch.
Spoke to a lot of people again .. and was parked next to Wiseman (Andie) from the UK, which joined us with Fiestaclub.nl stand.

On the trip back .. rain.. so not really nice to 'test' out the vehicle..

The B&M is a bit getting used to.. shifting is a lot quicker, but you don't want to shift too quickly with it.. but the best.. i don't have to get out of the recaro seats anymore to shift to or from 5th gear (-:
Using the anti-virbation mounts, no addition fibration was noticeable.

The brakes again brake like they should.. what a difference a mm makes in this case..

Yesterday passed the MOT again for ayear.. without issues.

Only downside .. i have to replace the waterpump (after 8 years of good service) .... but that's just maintenance.. only covered 20.000 kilomteres in those 8 years.. (-: wich is around 13k miles.
*If you start to see in Black and White, you know you're pulling enough G's*
Jur
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Jur on Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:31 pm

My fiesta , along side Wiseman's .. @ EFE 2011 here in the Netherlands.

P.s. it looks like i will visit FITP again this year, hopefully with the purple fiesta, otherwise i will kidnap my wifes 2011 5 door (-:
Jur
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Jur on Tue May 08, 2012 1:48 pm

I had some issues with coolant leakeage ..

The odd thing is, it only leakes during engine cooloff.
I don't loose any coolant during driving.
During engine cooloff (when parked up) it seems to leak due to the turbo still being hot and heating up the radiator area (boiling sounds in the radiator)
So probably has to do with some pressure that builds up then, which need to go somewhere.

When checking, the only fault i could find was a sweating coolant hose from turbo to radiator.
It had seen it's best times anyway, and was already going to replace it soon. But couldn't get my hands on the correct hose (in a good state)
so had one made up by Roose Motorsport.

After replacing this one, had the engine run till it was @ operational temperatures..
Left it over night to cool off, no leakage.

Then got it out to drive for 45 mins to an hour.. put it back in the garage, no leakage

Finally got it to a clubmeet. 1 hours drive, then a puzzle rally, and back 1 hours drive.

No leakage at first... but when i got the car out a few days later in preperation of FITP .. a small amount of coolant was on the floor again.

I now suspect either the other collant hose (turbo to thermostat ), the turbo connections itself or possibly a leakage on the radiator itself. Can't seem to find the actual issue.
As it is only visible after cooling down, i don't suspect to be of a great issue on our way over to FITP. and will check regularly. ... but the plan is still to use the purple fiesta to bring.

But the wifes fiesta isn't a shame to bring.. just in case

Jur
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Jur on Tue May 08, 2012 1:57 pm

Apart from the leakage,

since i'm not driving a fiesta (zetec s) daily anymore, but a large family sized SUV ( of needing to tell you it's an Mitsubishi ASX 1.6 117 BHP, lacking of some real power, but o so handy for transporting the family and other goods :-p) .. , i missed out on the power lately.

When i drove the fiesta again (with near 200 BHP) it was all of a joy. The gearbox which we replaced last year runs so smoothly, and the B&M shifter we placed at the same moment is such a joy (not having to get out of the seats every time i need 5th gear) ..

The only downside.. the Zetec-S was sumwhat sporty, the step to the mk3 wasn't that big, now i go from HIGH comfort .. to comfortless when i get into the mk3, and this takes getting used to.
In stead of getting into the mk3, i tend to wear it (with my 6'6" of Dutch tallness) .. but it GOOOOOOOESSSS as soon as you hit the throttle.. which puts a big smile on my face.
Jur
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Jur on Mon May 11, 2015 3:03 pm

Hmmz.. *blow* *coff*coff*

So.. the dust is off.
The fiesta had been stored for the last 3 years.... and not really been driven (only to a local meeting.. or to the MOT), or modified.. but..

It started to tingle again.. and recently gave her a good service (replacing cambelt, waterpump, tensioner ), some new oil etc.
Solved the last coolant leakage by replacing some hoses (one made up by Roose ) ...

Replaced the painted hinges, for chromes ones:

Replaced the stereo for a more modern one (that plays USB sticks).. and sounds even better then the old one (gone from Sony .. to Alpine)

Replaced some Exhaust rubbers for PU ones.

Replaced the 'old' T-ford horn for a new shiny one (still cheap.. but hey it works)

And last, but not least.. Replaced the open pipercross filter on the T3, for a closed (Graham Goode Racing) airfilter box of a ST150. Not as loud as before, but must say.. she has never been this good on driving, but this might be something between my ears.

The paintwork may not be as good as it was (some cracks in the polyester here and there) but technically sounding and driving real nice.

Oh, and replaced the standard H4 bulbs for H4 'colour vision' purple bulbs.. They do have normal white light, but the mirror shows up with a purple hint in it (-:

picked up some new goodies on this years FITP .
- Rare alluminium cambelt cover
- Chromes rocker cover (but it would need a chromed intake manifold to suit the rest of the engine bay)
- T3 "hot" Heatshield

So .. have some things to do the next couple of weekends.. hopefully no manifold studs will snap when removing the bolts

Keep you posted
Jur
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby FRS_Steve on Sat May 23, 2015 10:45 pm

:aviator: Nice to see you still have this :aviator:
ImageImage
FRS_Steve
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby aa234 on Thu May 28, 2015 9:45 am

Nice project. Really nice car!
aa234
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Your car: Fiesta ST

Postby Jur on Thu May 28, 2015 10:16 am

Thank you all,

As mentioned I now have the car for more then 13 years.. and the attention for it has had it's ups and downs (due to buying a house, and building a family, but is has not been forgotten.

Recently purchased some 'engine' stuff (as mentioned already) .. but I'm now in doubt on what to do with the chrome rocker cover..
Option 1)
Put in on .. and save up for a chromed inlet manifold (if any can be found) ...

Option 2)
Keep the painted one (possibly even go satin black, incl inlet manifold) and sell the chrome rocker cover..

Your opinions please ?
Jur
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Jur on Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:34 pm

again.. some time in between updates
this time some family stuff )-: life is unfair

but.. the doubt about the rocker cover has been dealt with.
the chrome one is sold.. and the silver one is now black.
i also painted the inlet satin black. and polished the flat 'EFI' part.

also dug up a new cps connector from mu spare parts to solve a 9 year old issue (for which we've had made a workaround some years ago)

need so solder it

but first need to get it running again with the current cps connector still in place
Jur
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Jur on Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:14 am

Earlier then planned.. an update:

Before:

After:

Detail shot (with the mobile phone) :

Spot the differences between before.. and after. (and even a difference in between the after pics)

Jur
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Excursion on Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:37 am

Looking good, Jur. That air filter enclosure is very nice.
Excursion
Bulletin Board User
Bulletin Board User
Your car: Ford Fiesta

Car: 1990 Ford Fiesta XR2i

Postby Jur on Wed May 27, 2020 11:01 pm

So... The story continues.

Not much people will eithervremember the car, or even be online on this 'old skool' forum. But well.. lets start..

Nearly 5 years ago.
But managed to still have the car.. still MOTed and in driving condition. Neatly covered up in the garage.

What has been done the past 5 years?

- stereo upgrade.. well it has received a bluetooth adapter connected to the Alpine headunit. Phone can now be connected for calls and media play.

- fuel pump issue fixed. First the fuel pump connector started playing up. Replaced that. That went well for a year, but there were more issues. So we rerouted the fuel pumps electronic connection. New thicker wires (as the old couldn't cope with the current anymore)
Removed the black box and the damper.

And ever since.. no more fuelpump cutouts happy driver.

Last years ford fair, i noticed the bailey breather pot filter, was somewhat wet from oil (vapor) which sometimes dripped.... Right on top of the engine mount.
Engine mounts and oil don't go well together..
On my search for a longer hose, to reroute the oil breather/seperator filter, i found a hose that seems to be exactly made for it.
Bought an oil catch tank, which mounted on the inner wing (where normally the air filter would be)
And it looks like... It belongs there.
No more drips on the engine mount, and till date no oil in the catchtank and a clean filter. Whoot whoot.

-bought a second rs1800 leather steering wheel (same as the frst, but black) and fitted it. It is better then the one that was in. So if time is there i can start refurbing the first one.

- the engine was getting slightly warm under heavy traffic (and 20+ degree weather).

The fan was on long and often. It did still bring temps down, but not to my liking.
Still running the standard fan, wiring, and standard thermostat. We tried with the cheapest solution.

First we replaced the (14 year old) thermostat. This gave some improvement, but not enough. And to be honest, i was skeptic to start with, as it seemed a capacity issue and only if the thermostat wasn't fully opening, that might have solved it.

So the next step: the radiator. This was still the standard radiator, half an inch from the T3 turbo..
If in traffic, the radiator doesn't seem to dissipate enough heat to bring temps down quick enough.

Also the rad was some 15 years in already.. so why not swap it for an alloy one.
Keeping standard size i went for an airtec one.

We swapped it early spring. So the temps outside were.. some 10 degrees. Not really a high temp. But i already noticed that the running temps were not getting as high compared to the original rad.
Me happy. I might even swap back to a standard thermostat (a 82degree one is in right now, over the 88degree standard one)

- The rear seat cloth was showing it's age and not looking as fresh as before. On closer inspection. The foam behind the fabric was disintegrating..

So removed the fabric fully, scrubbing of all of the foam.
Also removed the foam layer from the cushion itself (leaving a smooth layer, which came from the cloth.

Need to take it to a car upholsterer. As this job i'm going tonoutsource (-:
But with the current COVID-19 issues, that will be done later.

What else did i do... Well drive it off course
In the last few years been to the UK for ford fair and FITP...
Not seeing as many mk3's as i would like.
Loved the frst lineup on the last FITP

Whats next... Final touches.. and make new plans for it.
Want a headliner to redo (black)
Still have the modded clutch pedal to fit
Might rewire some of the additional guages.

And ehhm enjoy the car off course

Thanks for reading this.

And pictures.. well i'm on fb/insta more then i'm on here (as many others)
Jur
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Previous

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.