Mk3 Fiesta 1.1

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

Mk3 Fiesta 1.1

Postby festy11 on Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:59 pm

I have a 1.1 fiesta its my first car so I am new to all this,
Can anyone suggest a cheap and effective solution to get more power out of it??
Any help is appreciated, :D
festy11
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Your car: Mk3 Fiesta

Re: Mk3 Fiesta 1.1

Postby RSGeorge on Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:01 pm

No offence mate, the only efficient and cheap method of getting more power out of it is to change the engine.
RSGeorge
Post Master
Post Master

Your car: Saab 9-3 & VW T4

Postby festy11 on Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:08 pm

None taking, But for insurance reasons it has to be a 1.1 lite FOR NOW :-?
festy11
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Your car: Mk3 Fiesta

Postby jakerowles on Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:14 pm

The only thing I've done which was a tiny bit noticeable was to take the standard pipe off the airbox and put a bigger flexible pipe on instead and extend that to somewhere there's cold air have a look on my thread too see what I mean . Also you could get a head off a 1.3 and put that on as they've got bigger valves ( you could also do a diy port and polish before you put it back on ) , also don't bother with de cats as it will make your car sound like a tractor :lol: don't bother with bigger back boxes either when I put my standard one back on the car seemed abit more responsive
jakerowles
Post Master
Post Master

Your car: pulse adrenaline 125 / klx650

Postby ADIMK3 on Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:49 pm

Hi everyone,

Does the head off a 1.3 fit? Does it have same holes? (water circulation I mean)

Thank you
ADIMK3
Poster
Poster

Postby jakerowles on Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:34 pm

ADIMK3 wrote:Hi everyone,

Does the head off a 1.3 fit? Does it have same holes? (water circulation I mean)

Thank you

i cant say for sure but i think they do fit theyre the same but have bigger valves so you may get abit more power , get a 1.3 head injector unit and ecu and that would give abit more power, only worth doing if you can get it all for cheap though
jakerowles
Post Master
Post Master

Your car: pulse adrenaline 125 / klx650

Postby MB7201 on Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:26 pm

It's not worth doing anything to it, a 1.3 head would give less power from lost compression. Just leave it until insurance goes down.
MB7201
Post Master
Post Master

Your car: Fiesta lx

Postby Tommm.Mk3 on Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:31 pm

I have a mk3 1.1 aswell and can get 105mph out of it on flat or 105 downhill.

all i did was put a sportier backbox on, and drill about 4 holes on the side of the dustbin and the back
Tommm.Mk3
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Your car: Ford Fiesta Mk3 1.1 Azura.

Postby Kieren on Fri May 11, 2012 7:31 pm

Is your 1.1 carb or CFI ?

I can't stand people who say to us young one's (No point, get a bigger engine, ECT)

>>1.3 head will give you a better/smother rev range and may give you a very slightly better BHP.

>>If you have the carb engine then there is a number of different twin choke and twin carbs routes you could go down to gain BHP and awesome noise :D

>>1.3 engine is a straight swap in and can be done in a matter hours.

>>You could also have flywheel and crank shaft lightened and balanced for around £140 and it will rev alot quicker and smother.

>>Cylinder head porting is another worthwhile option that will have noticeable gains.

>>Exhaust systems also give you around 4BHP all mk3 fiesta exhaust's will fit as the hangers are in the same place, but you may have to join the sport system to your manifold or cat your self by welding of flaring the pipe and using an exhaust clamp,

>>Puma sport used to make a 4-2-1 manifold for the 1.1 and 1.3 engine, I have messaged them 3days ago to see if i can still get hold of one, You could also make one your self using a 4-2-1 from another car and welding it to the flange of your existing manifold, Or have one made for you.

>>I have a mk3.5 fiesta 1.3 CFI (Single point injection) and i am planing on converting it to EFI (Multi point injection) like the ford KA's then il turbo it useing a T15 turbo from a Diesel, this could be done to yours also as they are the same engine.

>>Also handling is well worth looking at as many small engine race cars focus on making there car handle as good as possible as the less yo have to slow down for a corner the less speed you have to build back up
(I.E Polly bushes, decent lowering springs, brakes, tires).

>>13" or 14" wheels are the best size to give you decent acceleration and speed, wouldn't recommend anything wider than a 6.5J as anything over the 185 tire size there becomes so my friction on the road and start's slowing your speed back down, On 15" wheels my 1.3 struggles to hold a wheel spin and feel gutless, but my new 13" steels feel great.

>>Keep the rocker/tappets in adjustment, Or else your engine will under perform and make a horrible tapping noise
(inlet - 0.2mm Exahust - 0.4mm)

>>A good service also helps ALOT good plugs (Champion EON3). Recommend oil also helps performance and keeping that engine quite (5W-30) or for a high mileage engine (10W-40) Oil filter, Fuel filter, 7mm or 8mm Leads, Air filter, also make sure all components of your distributor are in good condition, Most of the above can be brought at Halfords.

>>Air filters give a nice noise and help flow there for helping BHP, For EFI there is a wide range of Cone induction filters, For carb and CFI you can purchase the old style metal K&N filter that make the car sound RUDEEEE and much more responsive.

>>I also have a friend with the same engine and he has just fitted bike carbs, And i have already called dibbz on the carbs and manifold as he is planning a 1.8 upgrade soon. Here is a vid to show what they sound like :D BEAST

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0fcltg9U1s

This is just a few things you can do, There are many other modifications so don't listen to that s**t people give you saying (YOU CAN'T DO ANYTHING) But a main factor to tuning small engine small cars, is handling and weight, as the lighter the the car the less the car has to move, there for the faster it will get to it top speed, Hope this helps alot of you out there and gives you abit of inspiration to try out different things with you Valencia/HCS/Endura-e engined cars.

If you need any help pm me.

KIEREN
Kieren
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Your car: mk2 fiesta, mk3 fiesta SI.

Postby MB7201 on Sat May 12, 2012 12:32 am

Depends on the circumstances really. If you can get parts cheap it might be worth it as a pratical exercise, but when you can buy a 2.0 engine and the parts to put it in for less than the price of new full exhaust system for the hcs it puts things in to perspective. For myself it was also about the same to insure a 2.0 than the standard 1.1 carb engine.
MB7201
Post Master
Post Master

Postby MB7201 on Sat May 12, 2012 12:32 am

Depends on the circumstances really. If you can get parts cheap it might be worth it as a pratical exercise, but when you can buy a 2.0 engine and the parts to put it in for less than the price of new full exhaust system for the hcs it puts things in to perspective. For myself it was also about the same to insure a 2.0 than the standard 1.1 carb engine.
MB7201
Post Master
Post Master

Postby Kieren on Sat May 12, 2012 11:33 am

But for us at 17,18 and these days even 19 insurance is through the roof, £4000 on a 1.3 1996 ford fiesta, FULL standard and i have a SPYBALL thatch alarm fittet
Kieren
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Your car: mk2 fiesta, mk3 fiesta SI.

Postby jonyb4 on Mon May 21, 2012 5:03 am

Kieren wrote:But for us at 17,18 and these days even 19 insurance is through the roof, £4000 on a 1.3 1996 ford fiesta, FULL standard and i have a SPYBALL thatch alarm fittet

so hows tuning a 1.1/1.3 going to help you,

tbh mate id love to see half those mods you mentioned actually make a real difference to a 1.1, short of a turbo none of them would gain more than 5bhp, its a costly deadend to tune the 1.1/1.3

and no offence to the guy who made the thread, he sounds young, so money and experience isnt on his side

i was there myself at 18 asking how to make mine more powerful, i was told by a forum member not to bother, go out and to buy myself a 1.6 Si and enjoy that instead, havent looked back since

not even that much of a insurance cost difference between the 1.1 mk3 and a 1.6 mk3 Si anyway
1800 Zetec 133bhp 140lbs/ft
mk2 pop 1.4i
jonyb4
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Your car: Si 1.8, mk2 950, 2.0 capri

Car: 1995 Ford Fiesta Si 16v

Postby andymac on Mon May 21, 2012 2:16 pm

Kieren wrote:I can't stand people who say to us young one's (No point, get a bigger engine, ECT)

Fair enough...

Kieren wrote:>>1.3 engine is a straight swap in and can be done in a matter hours.

Bu... bu... bu... bu...!

It's fair to say though, that the ROI is insignificant on a 1.1 - people have done mad, mad things with HCS engines in the past (turbo conversion thread somewhere I think) but really it's a case of throwing money at something to be unique as opposed to get significant power gains. Remember, 10% improvement on 50hp is less than 5% on 115... :)

If you wanted lots of fun and reasonable insurances etc then I might consider a 1.8 td conversion...
Nothing to see here...
andymac
Elite Pie Master
Elite Pie Master

Your car: Your car: Your car: Your car:

Postby jonyb4 on Mon May 21, 2012 9:31 pm

thats not a bad idea, you can reach 120bhp with the lynx 1.8 TD engine from just silly mods like upping the boost, fueling pre and post boost, larger (even cheap universal) intercoolers and breathing mods eg air filter and exhaust, and a ton of torque on top (which is the underdog of power gains world)
1800 Zetec 133bhp 140lbs/ft
mk2 pop 1.4i
jonyb4
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Your car: Si 1.8, mk2 950, 2.0 capri

Car: 1995 Ford Fiesta Si 16v

Postby andymac on Fri May 25, 2012 3:31 pm

Torques nice for pulling along, but you need a balance of delivery at both ends - if you get the opportunity for a ride in a Mk2 Focus ST or RS take it, you'll see what I mean then. Tractability is immense and illustrates perfectly what I'm on about.

You're right though, diesel power is fun when in band but it runs out of puff very quickly, MMoGenius had a TD van at one time that was really quite quick (up to a point) - lots quicker than a 1.6 si at any rate :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nothing to see here...
andymac
Elite Pie Master
Elite Pie Master

Your car: Your car: Your car: Your car:

Postby Michael! on Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:33 pm

tried it, been down similar routes

you'll skint yourself and piss yourself off. not worth it

ENGINE CONVERSION is the best thing, if your that bothered about having a quick car and paying cheaper insurance, do it and dont declare it. just dont cry when you get your car taken off you.
keep the 1.1 until you can afford something better

also, this message will self destruct in 5 seconds...
Looking for other members? Add yourself to the ft.com members map!
ft-com-members-map-vt190192/
Michael!
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Your car: RS1800 Sleeper Project + 6N2

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.