Low Budget Zetec turbo guide

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

Low Budget Zetec turbo guide

Postby AndysFatRS on Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:26 am

This is my first attempt at doing a guide but as i am currently attempting a very cheap zetec turbo build i thought i may as well try and make a guide

The Base engine is the 2.0 series 2 zetec out of my written off Si, so luckily there i know the engine is good and strong. First job was to strip the engine completely to check parts for wear, may as well now as a turbo will find any weak spots. So all engine mounts removed, alternator, water pump, power steering pump and brackets removed. Cylinder head removed, sump removed, oil pickup, main caps, crankshaft, rods and pistons all removed so i was down to a bare block.
with the block inspected it was found that there was virtually no wear to the bores ( honing marks still clearly visible despite me having done 10,000 miles with that engine and having not known it had been reworked as it came from a scrappy!) :o :D
almost all the engine was in brand new condition except every shell, main AND big-end were knackered. :-? made no noise though?

I ordered a de-compression plate from Ferriday Engineering
Decomp plate.jpg

ordered some shells as well, picking them up tomorrow £55.
had a look at the piston condition, noticed something strange :-? , but good :D whoever honed it has put some slipper pistons in! as in pistons with a Teflon coating on the skirts to make it Rev-happy!

Picked up some ARP products today from Road&Stage motorsport in Morcambe as i felt these were pretty much a requirement. So i got rod bolts and head bolts

while i am waiting for parts to arrive i cleaned up the Block and painted it in the only colour i though it should be
Rst-green block.jpg
Block

because i am building on a budget, and because i couldn't afford it, i decided to use the Zetec inlet manifold instead of buying adapter plates. But as i am using the existing RST management i have to fit the Throttle body, fuel rail/injectors, and iscv to the manifold. So using a peice of 5mm (5mm is the perfect thickness to allow the throttle linkage to not catch on the manifold) aluminium an adapter was made up to fit the throttle body to the manifold, using the top-right bolt hole as a common point.
Rst body zetec.jpg
Rst zetec.jpg

The zetec engine uses side-feed injectors in a sandwich plate and the RST end-feed bosch injectors BUT... if you remove the side feed injectors from the sandwich plate people say the bosch injectors are too small to fit, at this point look at the end of the zetec injectors, 9 times out of 10 stuck on the end of the injectors are some small 'buckets', these are adaptors to seat the injectors. if you remove these from the injectors and fit them back into the plate where they should be you will find your bosch injectors now sit into the manifold. i will describe the mounting of the fuel rail at a later date when i can take some pictures.

As for exhaust i have simply drilled and tapped the zetec head to take the cvh manifold using a manifold gasket from ford as a template
Zetec head tapped.jpg

progress updates/pictures coming soon

cheeRS
Andy :)
Formally Andyswidefez

Yes, i have a fat RS! lol

BIASmotorsport
AndysFatRS
Poster
Poster

Car: 1991 Ford Fiesta RS Turbo

Re: Low Budget Zetec turbo guide

Postby MattPym on Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:21 am

Nice keep it coming!

You mention a fitting 'bucket' on the fuel injectors! Does this mean that the standard Zetec fuel rail can be used with end-fed injectors rather than having to bodge together a fuel rail or use an RST item???

Matt

I have parts for sale!!!!.....Nice parts too!!!
http://www.fiestaturbo.com/forums/lots-of-parts-for-sale-vt185591/
MattPym
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby AndysFatRS on Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:35 am

no, the rst rail has to be used but the buckets allow the injectors to sit in the sandwich plate

cheeRS
Andy
Formally Andyswidefez

BIASmotorsport
AndysFatRS
Poster
Poster

Postby MattPym on Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:54 pm

Oh right...but this means you can use retain the zetec inlet manifold (or am i completely gone off track)

matt

MattPym
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby AndysFatRS on Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:12 pm

no, your right you can retain the zetec manifold
Formally Andyswidefez

BIASmotorsport
AndysFatRS
Poster
Poster

Postby MattPym on Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:44 pm

Nice one...Cool bit of info to find out...Saves me a few quid aswell! :)

Cheers
Matt

MattPym
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby MattPym on Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:48 pm

Also what kind of power are you hoping for/expecting from this build??

Matt

MattPym
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby AndysFatRS on Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:25 pm

Today i have rung round a few suppliers and come up with a new genuine ford bottom end gasket-set, triple-layer metal head gasket and the required shells :)
SP_A0023.jpg
gasket set
SP_A0018.jpg
shells
head.JPG
head gasket

in case you are interested the head gasket is actually a bit of a bargain with it being a triple layer metal one as these normally retail for mega money as uprated items, either that or go to Ford and order part No 1071744 -- For £27 inc Vat or £19 at trade :D :aviator:
Ford list it as for the Focus ST170 engine but the gasket is indentical, just a lot stronger. :wink:

part number.JPG
head gasker Finis No

As i haven't got any further today i have taken a few new pictures to show described parts
First picture is of the bore condition BEFORE honing!!! :o
SP_A0020.jpg
bores

the next pictures are of a standard zetec piston and the ones from mine. the white patches are reflections.
SP_A0016.jpg
teflon piston

standard
SP_A0022.jpg
standard piston

this shows the large injector hole on the zetec sandwich plate
inje.JPG
zetec injector fitting

and a quick pic of my goodies! :D
SP_A0026.jpg
ARP

Mattpym - Don't know really, im actually only doing the conversion because my cvh has let go dramatically and its cheaper to convert it than to fix it!
i have seen 1.8's with similar specs running 219(ish)BHP so hopefully a little more than that

cheeRS

Andy :)
Formally Andyswidefez

BIASmotorsport
AndysFatRS
Poster
Poster

Postby JayC on Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:04 pm

good luck mate ill be following this one... what turbo you running?
Project62 ~ my baby
2Liter Fiesta Si Thread:)
JayC
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Andimav on Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:20 am

Be interested to see it finished..

What colour is the block painted?? Is it any kind of special paint??
Andimav
Poster
Poster

Postby AndysFatRS on Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:50 pm

Andimav - the block is just your basic Hammerite Green, i think it looks good though! :lol:

JayC - i'll be running the T3 that was on my CVH

right bit of an update, got some work done this saturday. before refitting crank etc.. there was some modifications to be carried out on the block, the breather on the front of the block needs blocking up and a new one being made to the rear of the block
fbreather.JPG
blocked breather

breather.JPG
new breather

after fitting the new breather and blocking the old one it was on with the rebuild ( note: the blocked breather plate is secured using the original breather bolts but due to the ERST manifold and T3 the top bolt has to be ground down to allow clearence)

the first job in the rebuild was to 'Hone' the bores using a 'honing' tool and lubricant.

Honing bores.jpg
honing

the next job was to re-fit the oil-spray jets and to fit the new main shells, applying oil during the installation

mains.JPG
mains

the crank was then refitted, but the crank would not sit correctly, closer inspection showed an installation lug on the centre main bearing, which had to be carefully removed with a small file. the crank was then refitted and sat perfectly and rotated freely.

Crank refit.jpg
crank

with the crank in the next job was to re-fit the pistons and rods, these were installed one at a time with the new big end shells and the engine was checked to see it rotated freely after each was installed. the ARP rod bolts were also fitted and torqued up to 27lb/ft three times as per installation instructions using a twelve-sided 3/8 socket

arprods.JPG
rods/pistons/ARP

the oil pump was re-fitted with the gasket face cleaned from any excess paint

with the main of the engine back together the oil feed and return from the turbo were addressed the oil feed was taken by using an ERST S1 oil feed, this simply installs in the place of the oil pressure switch and the switch then installs in the S1 feed. no drilling no tapping :D

oil feed.JPG
oil feed

the oil return was a simple fitting threaded into the sump and sealed with loctite

oilreturn.JPG
oil return

i then placed the head on and stuck everything together to mock up the engine

Zetec Turbo CVH manifold.jpg
zetec turbo

the engine could not be progressed further than this as the cylinder head has been stripped down ready for porting and polishing and the valves to be lapped in.
so as i couldn't be bothered with starting this task i started stripping the car

strip.JPG
stripping

cheeRS
Andy
Formally Andyswidefez

BIASmotorsport
AndysFatRS
Poster
Poster

Postby jimmyesh on Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:50 am

Top work that man! :D :wink:
jimmyesh
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Your car: Yes

Postby disc on Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:28 pm

Dude, your camera (phone?) sucks.
This can't be a guide with low quality pics like yours! Try to find better camera.
Sorry for my bad english...
disc
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Your car: 1991 Orion ZetecTurbo 270BHP

Postby HCS PIMP on Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:31 pm

nice my si if i keep it will be a nice match similar job
2.1 Went BANGGGGG now a Ghia 1800
HCS PIMP
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby AndysFatRS on Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:20 am

cheeRS jimmyesh :D

the progress has been slow of late as i am waiting for parts to arrive ( remote iscv )
but i have lapped all the valves back into the head and have port-matched the head to the ERST manifold to improve gas flow, and hopefully reduce lag.
the exhaust has been heat wrapped and sprayed in VHT black, make it a bit subtler, and hide my poor wrapping skills :lol:

lapping the valves

port matched head

i went and picked up a 2.0 sandwich plate today £15 from my local scrappy, picture is next to the 1.6 (top)

more stripping happened with the car and virtually everything came out
:D

battery tray has gone to make room for a GRP A cossie filter

the battery has been connected using a neat little distribution block

and a couple of modifications for some of the extras being sorted while the car is in bits

and the slam panel has been removed because its too much of an arse taking everything out when the rad needs sorting and the new one is about 1/3 the weight! :D

all of the fabrication work has been carried out by an awsome friend of mine who just seems to be able to do anything his car is on the right and has a nice little engine hiding away :D :wink: :Q
Formally Andyswidefez

BIASmotorsport
AndysFatRS
Poster
Poster

Postby onslack on Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:47 am

coming along nicely :D :Q
click My sig -:- Sig made by :- xmadxmoex
onslack
Post Master
Post Master

Your car: Si

Postby AndysFatRS on Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:45 pm

got a bit more done this saturday, got up early ( 10.30 !!!! :o :lol: ) and started so stripped the remaining parts from the engine bay, the master cylinder, servo and brake lines. The fuel filter and brackets were also removed and my girlfriend started sanding down the bay while i re-built the head, re-fitting all the valves. Once this was done i joined in sanding the bay and had to stop to go to get some primer, my forward planning is legendary!! :D
The compressor was fired up and the spray gun dusted off and the bay sprayed in 4 fresh coats of mercury gray, and as i had paint spare i painted the rocker cover and my rear strut brace

with the engine bay drying the bonnet pins were fitted into the bonnet

that was all i managed to do saturday but work carried on on sunday;

the FRST fuel rail was mounted to the zetec spacer using some 'munson' rings from b&q and soldered them to a m8 thread

fitted the arp head bolts, head gasket, spacer plate and head.

the spacer plate was fitted as per ferridays instructions and was bonded on with a special compound designed for use in high pressure high temperature combustion engines, not convinced but ill try it

made a single wiper, cleaned and refitted scuttle panel, routed the wiring along the scuttle, the servo refitted, non-ABS master cylinder re-fitted and non-ABS brake lines fitted ( as my ABS didnt work on one wheel ) the power distribution block mounted and fuel filter mounted with freshly sprayed bracket and new bolts

fitted the zetec flywheel to the engine and the paddle clutch and pressure plate, de-gunked the gearbox and bolted that up.

A new CVH engine mount was modified and fitted and all new gearbox mounts fitted. the gearbox cradle cleaned and engine and box fitted

then added the TURBO touch to the rocker cover ! :D :lol: :lol:

cheeRS
Andy
Formally Andyswidefez

BIASmotorsport
AndysFatRS
Poster
Poster

Postby jimmyesh on Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:18 pm

Coming on a treat! :) Intrigued by the ferriday engineering head spacer sealing compound - will be interesting to see how good it is, I'm sure it will be as Ferriday are a good company :wink:
jimmyesh
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Your car: Yes

Postby Gazeddy on Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:25 pm

loving the rocker cover
1.6 si coming soon
5 Door Register
Only motorcycle riders understand why dogs stick their heads out of car windows
Gazeddy
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby MossyZS on Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:27 pm

Top job!

Ernie told me about this on Friday night. I wondered why I haven't seem your car knocking around lately.

When its done I'll pop over and take a look... and a test drive :P
MossyZS
Poster
Poster

Postby recogniseman on Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:02 pm

Nice work man! I'm watching this post closely as I am really keen to fit a 2l turbo to my mk4 feza. Good work getting the gf involved too.
Keep it up.
recogniseman
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Postby garyhurn77 on Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:15 pm

nice k , what power do you think it'll make ?
garyhurn77
Post Master
Post Master

Postby AndysFatRS on Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:19 pm

garyhurn77 - not got a clue- as much as possible i hope :wink:

mossyzs - yeah mate no problem we'll have to sort something out, its not like you work far away really is it? :lol:

also just for a bit of info the 'buckets' for the injectors that i was talking about earlier are these;

right last update the engine was in, now next job was to fit the inlet manifold this was fitted using a gasket compound and the rocker cover drilled to fit the cross-over pipe, the cross-over pipe was bolted to the rocker cover with rubber spacers in between

the radiator and intercooler were then re-fitted into their new positons ( further forward ) and the pipework started be fitted.

this is the top boost hose that my mate knocked up

the engine wiring loom was stripped from its plastic mounts etc and re-wrapped with loom tape, with neccasary parts of the loom extended e.g IAT sensor and coil pack.

i fitted a set of Focus RS spark plugs as they are ideal for the pourpose as they are turbo friendly and fit directly to the zetec :D £21 trade from Ford

in order to fit the alternator the pulley has to be changed from the 'v-groove' pulley to the 'multi-v' pulley. simply swap the pulley off an zetec engined car onto your FRST alternator

top hose fitted and pipes connected

the driveshafts were refitted and hubs re-built gearbox oil added and the brakes bled.
the front bumper re-cut to clear the intercooler and was refitted along with the headlights and indicators

the back edge of the bonnet was raised in order to clear the cross-over pipe simply using a number of washers and all fluids were added and bled

and...

the car fired up!
and idled!
and revs!

and got washed! lol

after attaching a innovate wideband lambda probe the car was road tested and found to be running lean, as a temporary cure until mapping can be carried out the fuel pressure was turned up on the regulator and re-run. now within acceptable values.

at this point i must say the cams i have used are my Kent Cams N/A Fast road cams and apper to work fantastically with the turbo giving good low down power with minimal lag and brutal power from around 2800 revs.
on test low boost (10psi) the car is at least as quick as my cvh ever was when cammed and chipped running 16psi with beige injectors

on the return home all fluids were rechecked and no leaks/contamination was found. boost was then increased to 15psi where power is incredible with the car attempting to spin up in third on a straight road in the dry with pirelli Pzero nero tyres in near new condition. :o :lol: :D :P

CheeRS
Andy
Formally Andyswidefez

BIASmotorsport
AndysFatRS
Poster
Poster

Postby MossyZS on Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:58 pm

Looking good today :Q :Q :Q :Q
MossyZS
Poster
Poster

Postby AndysFatRS on Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:42 pm

just as a quick bit of info all my bills and reciepts added up to £423.48 hope this is a low enough budget to count as low budget, and if you are going to do a conversion you NEED an LSD. :o :lol: :D
Formally Andyswidefez

BIASmotorsport
AndysFatRS
Poster
Poster

Postby onslack on Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:18 am

:Q

congrats on getting it all working

:o that is one budget build :D :devil:
click My sig -:- Sig made by :- xmadxmoex
onslack
Post Master
Post Master

Your car: Si

Postby demolition_man on Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:33 pm

can you tell me more about the block breather please, like where you got it from and how and where you fitted it, ID etc

also i was wondering about the MAP sensor take off, is it in the rear of the zetec manifold? i didn't think the zetec used a MAP sensor? if i'm right then how did you make the take off.

thanks a lot :)
oh hoh
demolition_man
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby nearly17 on Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:42 pm

Good work, Cossie rims on a fiesta look awesome.
Guessing it has a MAP sensor take off as its using FRST management?
as for the low budget ZT i will be following suit sometime soon with something similar for my Ka.

Aaron
nearly17
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby xr2imetalhead on Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:36 am

fair play mate looks like you have done a great job there :Q
xr2imetalhead
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby HCS PIMP on Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:35 pm

i want that engine wanna help me build a similar engine in my si ????
2.1 Went BANGGGGG now a Ghia 1800
HCS PIMP
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby fiestamk3.5 on Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:18 pm

any updates
fiestamk3.5
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby AndysFatRS on Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:04 pm

UPDATE COMING SOON LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, WILL BE A GOOD ONE AS WELL AND ALL QUESTIONS WILL BE ANSWERED :)
Formally Andyswidefez

BIASmotorsport
AndysFatRS
Poster
Poster

Postby MattPym on Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:41 am

AndysFatRS wrote:UPDATE COMING SOON LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, WILL BE A GOOD ONE AS WELL AND ALL QUESTIONS WILL BE ANSWERED :)

Even the meaning of life :-? 8)

MattPym
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby PUMARST on Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:10 am

Hi

very interesting topic. I have a 3 questions:

1) How thick is de-compression plate??
2) How many head gasket did you uesed?? If one where did you put it (between plate and head)
3) how strong this combination is?? Is it good for 14psi of boost or more??
ZetecTurbo
PUMARST
Poster
Poster

Postby Ram on Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:36 pm

nice thread and nice looking fez :Q
450 bhp moonstone blue 2wd saph
2012 E250 cdi Sport convertible
Ram
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Your car: Mint Mk2 Cortina 2dr Zetec

Next

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.