home made fault code reader, how to make one

Please check here before posting to see if your question has been answered before.

Re: home made fault code reader, how to make one

Postby Fraggle on Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:27 am

[quote="AW0L"]i couldn't get it to work myself but... i think it just pulls the stored codes from the test onto your pc and gives you the meanings of the found fault codes...[/quote]

aahhhhhhhhhh lol

This needs to be figured out imop.

when you say you couldnt get it to work, you mean the reader itself, software or both mate?

And id be interested in copy of the codes please if possible, assuming they be the same for FAC/FAB then?
Fraggle
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Your car: FRST IN BADBOY WHITE

Postby AW0L on Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:37 am

just the software mate, reader works great...

should be ok for ofac/ofab, i used it on an 2FCD ecu and worked fine i think all eec iv upto 96 or so used flash codes with the 3 pin triangle plug.

pm me your e-mail and i'll send you the doc.

the second one i am building i had done away with the ABS side of it as i don't have it so is an option i don't need (all though is still programmed on the chip), and i am trying to figure out a way to run USB serial adaptor in the unit as a comps these days dont have a serial port.
AW0L
Post Master
Post Master

Your car: ford fiesta 1.8 xr2i

Postby jayrs on Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:04 pm

the codes are normal codes if i remember rightly, and can be cross checked on a normal code list... and from from awaol has said, im guessing thats right?

tbh guys, i nhever did get a chance to use mine on my car :lol: so i couldnt even tell you what it displays as it broke before i could do it.

im gunna have to fix it now you guys have talked about it :lol:
jayrs
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: FRST, XR2, ST170, ST225

Car: 1991 Ford Fiesta RS Turbo

Postby Fraggle on Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:20 pm

[quote="AW0L"]just the software mate, reader works great...

should be ok for ofac/ofab, i used it on an 2FCD ecu and worked fine i think all eec iv upto 96 or so used flash codes with the 3 pin triangle plug.

pm me your e-mail and i'll send you the doc.

the second one i am building i had done away with the ABS side of it as i don't have it so is an option i don't need (all though is still programmed on the chip), and i am trying to figure out a way to run USB serial adaptor in the unit as a comps these days dont have a serial port.[/quote]

Legend pm en-route :-)
Fraggle
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby AW0L on Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:20 pm

this is how it shows the codes after counting the flaash codes... of course it only shows one at a time (to read back the scroll switch is pressed)

01 fast code 116
02 fast code 111
03 slow code 116
04 slow code 116
05 slow kam 10
06 slow kam 111
07 slow kam 111

this was my second to last test done before getting all clear code (111) through out the test.

all i did was bring my results back to the house, type out the codes and serch them on fault code list to find the meaning
AW0L
Post Master
Post Master

Postby Fraggle on Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:21 pm

[quote="AW0L"]this is how it shows the codes after counting the flaash codes... of course it only shows one at a time (to read back the scroll switch is pressed)

01 fast code 116
02 fast code 111
03 slow code 116
04 slow code 116
05 slow kam 10
06 slow kam 111
07 slow kam 111

this was my second to last test done before getting all clear code (111) through out the test.

all i did was bring my results back to the house, type out the codes and serch them on fault code list to find the meaning[/quote]

We need to get this going as its an awesome little tool, save alot of aggro hopefully when the time comes for a setup/checkover...
Fraggle
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Fraggle on Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:23 pm

[quote="jayrs"]the codes are normal codes if i remember rightly, and can be cross checked on a normal code list... and from from awaol has said, im guessing thats right?

tbh guys, i nhever did get a chance to use mine on my car :lol: so i couldnt even tell you what it displays as it broke before i could do it.

im gunna have to fix it now you guys have talked about it :lol:[/quote]

Yep get ya arse to the solder station and start giving it the Korean worker lol
Fraggle
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby jayrs on Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:42 pm

:lol: :lol:

ive just seen that rapid no longer sell the lcd display, but maplins still sell there one.

although, rapid do have a alternitive, and one is backlit, now im thinking that could be the one to go for, but on the other hand, im not really a electronics guys, i wouldnt be sure how to wiring it up so the backlight works, nor would i know if the alternitive is configered differenly to the one i have now, so it might be best for me to just stick with whats in the plans and follow the plans again and hope the fcuker powers up after, cos ill be pi$$ed if it dont, i dont fancy building another from scratch :(

mind you, thats prob my own fault cos i didnt solder the switches directly to the board, i got a mass of wires to the switches :lol: :lol:
jayrs
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Fraggle on Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:45 pm

[quote="jayrs"]:lol: :lol:

ive just seen that rapid no longer sell the lcd display, but maplins still sell there one.

although, rapid do have a alternitive, and one is backlit, now im thinking that could be the one to go for, but on the other hand, im not really a electronics guys, i wouldnt be sure how to wiring it up so the backlight works, nor would i know if the alternitive is configered differenly to the one i have now, so it might be best for me to just stick with whats in the plans and follow the plans again and hope the fcuker powers up after, cos ill be pi$$ed if it dont, i dont fancy building another from scratch :(

mind you, thats prob my own fault cos i didnt solder the switches directly to the board, i got a mass of wires to the switches :lol: :lol:[/quote]

AWOL sounds a bit of a leccie Guru...he might know if it'll work...?

Shame your not feeling skilled, as i aint and fancy one lol

Only thing is the code list dont list a CPS or Amal code that i can see????????????????????????
Fraggle
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby jayrs on Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:54 pm

its not that i couldnt do it, i would have to see the screen and refresh myself with the FCR set up as its been what, 5 years since i made it :lol:
jayrs
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Fraggle on Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:04 pm

[quote="jayrs"]its not that i couldnt do it, i would have to see the screen and refresh myself with the FCR set up as its been what, 5 years since i made it :lol:[/quote]

HAHA bout time to re-fresh the old grey maybe...wotcha reckon its costs to make it jay?

oh and again i ask WHERE ARE THE CPS AND AMAL CODES?????????????????????????????????????????

or they irrelivant?? lol
Fraggle
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby jayrs on Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:21 pm

amal code might not be there but cps one should be
jayrs
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby AW0L on Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:26 pm

i got all my parts from RS (i work there so yay for discount) we do the screen if you need one....

backlit one uses pin 15 and 16 on the screen and uses 5v as the supply cant remember which way the + & - is

i did wires to my switches too

heres a look see

[img]http://i604.photobucket.com/albums/tt128/AWOL55/2012-03-29185254.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i604.photobucket.com/albums/tt128/AWOL55/2012-03-29185142.jpg[/img]
Last edited by AW0L on Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AW0L
Post Master
Post Master

Postby AW0L on Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:36 pm

[quote="jayrs"]amal code might not be there but cps one should be[/quote]

it may be possible that they are 2 digit codes, i think i got a list for that too i'll have a hunt for them and see if its on there
AW0L
Post Master
Post Master

Postby AW0L on Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:36 pm

[quote="jayrs"]amal code might not be there but cps one should be[/quote]

it may be possible that they are 2 digit codes, i think i got a list for that too i'll have a hunt for them and see if its on there
AW0L
Post Master
Post Master

Postby Fraggle on Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:22 pm

[quote="AW0L"][quote="jayrs"]amal code might not be there but cps one should be[/quote]

it may be possible that they are 2 digit codes, i think i got a list for that too i'll have a hunt for them and see if its on there[/quote]

sorry to be/sound dumb fella's but i cant see AMAL/CPS on their.....so yeah if the 2digit lists available that'd be sweet...gotta make this!!
Fraggle
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby AW0L on Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:00 pm

CPS uses the EDIS module and is sent by PIP and SAW/SPOUT signals... so code would be 211 and 213

amal valve might be named as something else like electronic vacuum solenoid or something random like that...

easiest option is to build your reader and run the tests, and compare your findings to whats on the codes list.

on another note how do i get images to work on here???? mr admin guys if watching could you grant me powers to make them veiwable please :0)
AW0L
Post Master
Post Master

Postby jayrs on Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:47 pm

[quote="AW0L"]i got all my parts from RS (i work there so yay for discount) we do the screen if you need one....

backlit one uses pin 15 and 16 on the screen and uses 5v as the supply cant remember which way the + & - is

i did wires to my switches too

heres a look see

nice touch mate, neater than mine, like the touch with the plug in the top too, might have to do that with mine.

how much can you get the screens for fella? back lit and non back lit?

im sure the screen should have tech info to tell me which is what to get it to light up wouldnt it?
jayrs
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby AW0L on Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:12 pm

[quote="jayrs"]nice touch mate, neater than mine, like the touch with the plug in the top too, might have to do that with mine.

im sure the screen should have tech info to tell me which is what to get it to light up wouldnt it?[/quote]

thanks mate, the making of the serial port hole is very hard because of its shape, my second one hasn't got the serial as wont be connecting it to the pc...

screens are £2.85 +VAT, not sure what i got is backlit, the data sheet for it shows provisions for backlights but after looking, mine looks to be missing resistors on the board for that option and our website only shows 16x2 (16 character, 2 rows) with backlights ours for this project uses 16x1
AW0L
Post Master
Post Master

Postby Fraggle on Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:32 pm

AWOL that do look the buisness :-)
Fraggle
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby AW0L on Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:42 pm

[quote="Fraggle"]AWOL that do look the buisness :-)[/quote]

thanks guys

am willing to help build if needed, however it will take a bit of time to piece together, if enough interest i may be willing to build some, or maybe supply a kit
AW0L
Post Master
Post Master

Postby Fraggle on Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:49 pm

[quote="AW0L"][quote="Fraggle"]AWOL that do look the buisness :-)[/quote]

thanks guys

am willing to help build if needed, however it will take a bit of time to piece together, if enough interest i may be willing to build some, or maybe supply a kit[/quote]

oooooooooooooooooh id be very tempted,,But only if some colourfull lights find their way on it somewhere!!!!!!!!

So just how teccie are you planning on going with it, be sweet if it could be hard wired to be permanantly working, and dash mounted somewhere, ooooooooh make it happen someone i love a decent gadget :-)
Fraggle
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby AW0L on Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:55 pm

[quote="Fraggle"][quote="AW0L"][quote="Fraggle"]AWOL that do look the buisness :-)[/quote]

thanks guys

am willing to help build if needed, however it will take a bit of time to piece together, if enough interest i may be willing to build some, or maybe supply a kit[/quote]

oooooooooooooooooh id be very tempted,,But only if some colourfull lights find their way on it somewhere!!!!!!!!

So just how teccie are you planning on going with it, be sweet if it could be hard wired to be permanantly working, and dash mounted somewhere, ooooooooh make it happen someone i love a decent gadget :-)[/quote]

that cant be done as a perminent fixure, i am sure that has been mentioned somewhere already....

lol it has 2 lights on it already...
AW0L
Post Master
Post Master

Postby Fraggle on Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:09 pm

that cant be done as a perminent fixure, i am sure that has been mentioned somewhere already....

lol it has 2 lights on it already...[/quote]

never have to many lights in the world of the fraggle....:-)

Thats a shame, would be awesome as an on board display.

Reason i pulled this topic up aside from my loom was because noooone seems to want to work with frst management.
One's that do are by the sounds of it are simply using a fault reader, giving you a its all good and that seems as far as it goes...

So if alls good on the ECU and everythings working good, how are they actually tuning/adjusting the ECU if its been chipped...as mechanically all that can be done really is timing/manual boost adjustment...how they altering the fueling/spark then?That through accessing the ECU remotely via software??

this atleast would give a heads up before you spend on a possible setup...Worth its weight in gold i say.
Fraggle
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby jayrs on Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:28 pm

AW0L wrote:
jayrs wrote:nice touch mate, neater than mine, like the touch with the plug in the top too, might have to do that with mine.

im sure the screen should have tech info to tell me which is what to get it to light up wouldnt it?

thanks mate, the making of the serial port hole is very hard because of its shape, my second one hasn't got the serial as wont be connecting it to the pc...

screens are £2.85 +VAT, not sure what i got is backlit, the data sheet for it shows provisions for backlights but after looking, mine looks to be missing resistors on the board for that option and our website only shows 16x2 (16 character, 2 rows) with backlights ours for this project uses 16x1

thats a shame, still im not really fussed about the back lit part, ive gone this long with it busted, im sure i can handle no back light :lol: :lol:

would you mind getting me a display mate, or is it easier to get it via rs website? if so, dont suppose you have the part number to hand?

also, have you seen the lambda sensor tester on his site? i aksed if he was going to do a guide like the FCR years ago and im sure he said no, i wouldnt mind making of them at some stage
jayrs
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby AW0L on Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:08 pm

[quote="jayrs"]thats a shame, still im not really fussed about the back lit part, ive gone this long with it busted, im sure i can handle no back light :lol: :lol:

would you mind getting me a display mate, or is it easier to get it via rs website? if so, dont suppose you have the part number to hand?

also, have you seen the lambda sensor tester on his site? i aksed if he was going to do a guide like the FCR years ago and im sure he said no, i wouldnt mind making of them at some stage[/quote]

i'll get ya one mate as they are more to buy that way, working there i get discount on it!!! :0).... will let you know when i got one

yea i seen em on there looks a pretty simple circuit, i haven't made one as i have a AFR gauge already lol

all this talk on here today has made me work on mine again... and hey thanks to you for posting up as your thread is where mine all started :0)
AW0L
Post Master
Post Master

Postby jayrs on Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:10 pm

nice one mate, let me know the cost and ill paypal ya it if thats cool.

i was also gunna say, this thread being talked on so much has made me want to sort mine, not that i have a use for it right now, but its best to have it working, in the end :lol: :lol:

and im glad this thread has once again been of use to people :)
jayrs
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Fraggle on Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:57 pm

[quote="jayrs"]nice one mate, let me know the cost and ill paypal ya it if thats cool.

i was also gunna say, this thread being talked on so much has made me want to sort mine, not that i have a use for it right now, but its best to have it working, in the end :lol: :lol:

and im glad this thread has once again been of use to people :)[/quote]

Blinding thread tbh jay.
Fraggle
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby AW0L on Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:54 am

Jay found backlit version, there is about a quid difference in price which one would you prefer???
AW0L
Post Master
Post Master

Postby jayrs on Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:00 pm

Fraggle wrote:
jayrs wrote:nice one mate, let me know the cost and ill paypal ya it if thats cool.

and im glad this thread has once again been of use to people :)

Blinding thread tbh jay.

i cant take credit for it mate, i cant remember how i came across the FRC but i thought it would be a worth while addition to the forum, so ill take credit for that :lol:
jayrs
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby jayrs on Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:02 pm

AW0L wrote:Jay found backlit version, there is about a quid difference in price which one would you prefer???

if theres not much to getting it to light up, ill go for the back lite version please fella
jayrs
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby AW0L on Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:13 pm

[quote="jayrs"][quote="AW0L"]Jay found backlit version, there is about a quid difference in price which one would you prefer???[/quote]

if theres not much to getting it to light up, ill go for the back lite version please fella[/quote]

all you need is a second live feed to pin 15 i think its 5V and a ground to pin 16... the data sheet will show it all will add that in the package
AW0L
Post Master
Post Master

Postby jayrs on Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:25 pm

nice one mate thank you :Q
let me know cost with poastage and ill paypal it ya if thats cool mate
jayrs
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby AW0L on Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:32 pm

yea will do mate heres the data sheet if you can make any idea of it... lol

http://docs-europe.electrocomponents.co ... f25dfc.pdf
AW0L
Post Master
Post Master

Postby jayrs on Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:48 pm

nice one mate.
yeah looks simple enough, i guess i bridge over the + and - from pins 1 and 2 too pins 15 and 16 for the back light?

im gunna be a pain, any chance you could get me a length of the pins that the screen is soldered too also, i prob got some left over in my box of bits, but a strip of that is peanuts so just as well get some new stuff :)
jayrs
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

PreviousNext

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.