GUIDE to re-studing xr/rs arches

Please check here before posting to see if your question has been answered before.

Re: GUIDE to re-studing xr/rs arches

Postby RS Joe on Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:34 pm

[quote="sikora"]Anyone experimented with any other glue? How has that Wurth stuff held up Joe?[/quote]

It has worked very well. I haven't re-fitted the arch yet due to the lack of a front wing lol,

But it has set very solid but not brittle, so should work ok
RS Joe
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby jayrs on Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:56 pm

i restudded a couple of rear arches the other day for knuckles car that im restoring for him.

i didnt use the same glue as my first post as i cant get that anymore, but last year i boguth some plexus off ebay, and its shown in the first pic.

ignor the fact i rigged it up in a silicon gun, i took it out of that when i started as it wasnt worth using.

your also see, that i wrapped the studs in tin foil, this is so the glue didnt get stuck in the threads when it was spread around.
i removed this the following day so it didnt move the stud while drying, but a few had bits of glue on the foil (which is why it was there, to save the thread) but i had to cut the little bits of stray glue with a knife to remove all the foil.

i preped the arch the same was as the first post with a drimmel.

i used stainless steel counter sunk slotted machine screws this time, and still put a extra groove in each side like the first post.

the overall length of the studs is 20mm BTW.

few pics of the arches

holes preped for glue

stainless stell screws wraped in tin foil to save the threads from glue

finished
jayrs
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: FRST, XR2, ST170, ST225

Car: 1991 Ford Fiesta RS Turbo

Postby andymac on Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:23 am

Absolutely uncanny; I don't recall reading this thread before but I had planned on repairing the golfs front bumper mount in almost exactly the same way (except using pan-head machine screws and repair washers to give a greater contact area for the adhesive to work on). I already did the same thing with the rubbing strips on the rover because someone (a complete and utter fudgekin dickhead, in fact) had broken all the clips and screws off the strips when they were last painted.
Nothing to see here...
andymac
Elite Pie Master
Elite Pie Master

Your car: Your car: Your car: Your car:

Postby jayrs on Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:52 pm

:lol:

mate you wann ahve a ganda more ofton :bonkers:

post up the results from the bumper when ya done it fella
jayrs
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby andymac on Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:07 pm

Will probably do it next week, I've been putting it off for ages, but I need to get it on a mates four-post to re-do the front geometry (camber's been knocked right out, top quality south yorkshire roads :rolleyes: ) before Christmas, so I really have to get a shift on with it in the next few days befor the weather turns compeltely s**t (and cold, again). Taking the front bumper off means undoing part of the front subframe and since I have one jack and a gravel driveway it's not exactly an ideal / safe situation. :lol: Also it reckons 24h for the adhesive to cure, but I can always stick it in the paint oven to speed things up.... :devil:
Nothing to see here...
andymac
Elite Pie Master
Elite Pie Master

Your car: Your car: Your car: Your car:

Postby jayrs on Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:27 pm

dont mate, ive been putting off some minor jobs on the focus as ive been busy with clarks car, but ive gotta crack on with that before it gets too cold too, cant be doing with working on cars in crap cold weather anymore, im too old for it :lol: :lol:
jayrs
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Excursion on Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:03 pm

Excursion
Bulletin Board User
Bulletin Board User
Your car: Ford Fiesta

Car: 1990 Ford Fiesta XR2i

Postby jayrs on Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:44 pm

That's a good price too, although a lot for what little gets used.

Anyone buying that should be aware your need the nozzles as it mixes as it goes through the nozzle. As your need a twin piston adhesive gun mean for 2 part adhesive, a std silicon gun will not do the job.

You can buy a different type of plexus in a really small amount, basicly it's the same but the part number is different so the properties of it differ, dunno how as never compared them, but it's still up tithe job, as I used it to restud some arches on another car, and I got it off eBay at the time and it was about £9

If I haven't updated this thread with the details on this stuff, I can get the part number next time I'm at the work shop.

The good thing about the new stuff I used, is its in a side by side configuration, and although it's meant to be put through a mixing nozzle, I could push out enough of the resin and hardner one at a time and mix on a old tile, ok not as quick as just squirt it in, but a few wooden stirring sticks from Costa or where ever they came from, was just the ticket.

Nice touch finding that plexus though mark. It is good stuff
jayrs
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Previous

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.