GUIDE to re-studing xr/rs arches

Please check here before posting to see if your question has been answered before.

GUIDE to re-studing xr/rs arches

Postby jayrs on Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:43 pm

tools and parts needed.

TOOLS

stanley knife
drimmel
cut off disc for drimmel
circle cutter for drimmel
pliers
drill
drill bit (i used 4.5mm)
rachet with small sockets, 7+8mm
WD40

PARTS

12 1p coins(maybe)
rubber, can be old bike inner tube or whatever really.
studs, i used 4mm stainless x 30 long, cut down to about 20mm
nuts, i used 4mm stainless
glue
plasticine (maybe)

right, some time ago now i had to remove my drivers rear arch, now for anyone thats had to do the same, you will know that the studs will snap, or spin in the plastic, or even still the nut is so rusty it crumbles away.
anyhow i re-studed that arch as i didn't want to have to glue it on.
now im not dissing anyone that has glued theres on, but its a bit of a f*cker if you want to take it off again aint it...

right anyhow, i started a rebuild post on my FRST ( http://www.fiestaturbo.com/forums/fiest ... -vt121164/) at the beginning of the year and such removed all the other arches from my car, and the passenger rear had to have the nuts ground off with a drimmel.

now this is where we'll start, removing them.

if your lucky, the front ones will undo, always worth giving a spray with WD40 but dont expect too much.
for those that won't undo, if they don't sheer off, you gunna have to cut them off.

you could if you want attack them with a angle grinder, but i found it better to use a drimmel with a cut off disc, well in fact i went through a few, but i cut the nut in half and prized them bits off to leave the stud with a slot in it.
its easy to do it like that rather than trying to cut the stud off, trust me.

anyhow, once that's done and the arch is off you can set to work.

now for this i used a glue i er, borrowed from a place i used to work at :bonkers: as its f*cking strong and has a little flex, and if things can be stuck to wind turbin blades that have a rotating tip speed of 200mph, then its gunna work just fine for my arches :)
you on the other hand won't get this stuff i'm using, so another good adhesive is going to be needed, but it has to be strong, not just sticky, and you'll see why when you read on.
araldite although will go off hard, is too brittle, i've not used it for this, but on other things in plastic, it don't like it, so i would say keep away from that.
maybe a grip fill or something, but your have to decide what is best for your needs, but whatever glue you use, remember, they don't need to be done super tight to the car, its just a wheel arch :lol:

first off, you need to get your new stud.
in my case i used 4mm stainless screws and modded the head a little, i put 2 small slots in the sides, this is so when i put it in, the glue goes through these slots, and into the flat slot ment for the screw driver, and this is what, along with the adhesive power of the glue, will stop the screw turning in the skirt, so i recommend you do the same, you could even cut a little "V" out which might be better for those not able to used the sort of stuff i am.

i have left my studs a little long for a reason, but if you wish for yours to be a little shorter then do it now, clamp the part of the thread your not going to use in a vice and cut to the length you want.
file round the top so you have no sharp bits, and if you have a die (for cutting a thread on a bit of bar) run that down to clear the thread, if you don't have a die, use a nut and make sure it goes on and comes off ok.

once this is done with all the screws/studs your ready to remove the old stud

i used a stanley knife and a drimmel to do mine, i also used the circle cutter to rough up the inside of where the stud goes to make the glue stick well.
i also dug the cutter in , in 4 corners so the glue goes into the skirt a little rather than just sitting on the top, not saying you need to do that, but i did.

now i removed all the studs at once, then prepped them all at once, if you want to do 1 at a time thats up to you, but the glue im using can start to go off in 2 mins (if hot enough) and be fully gone off within 5 mins if weather is really hot, hence why i done all 4 at the same time.
however i waited till it was cooler in the evening and done it then, but i still only had tops of 5-10min before it started going off, and thats in the tube too :o , so thats why there isnt any picture of me putting the studs in as i didnt have time to do it.
(but i still have a arch to do so will try and get pic's then and add them)

once its all prepped and ready for glue, i started, i made sure the glue went into the holes i dug, then i put a layer on the bottom of each hole.
i then stuck the studs in 1 by 1 making sure the glue came up through the slots i had cut in the sides, and i positioned the new stud in the center of the hole, which is more or less where it should be, and making sure its sitting flat on its face the stud will stay straight.
now for me this was easy cos the glue was strong and even when wet it held the new stud in place, so i just filled the rest of the holes with more glue and smooth it in with a stick.
if one had moved, i had to move it now, or not at all :lol:

now if the glue you use wont hold the stud it might be worth you doing 1 at a time and holding the stud by hand, or even a bit of tape.
or better still, if you have plasticine, make a mould of the raised bit with a hole in the middle to allow for the stud, and once your glues in, slip this on so it hold it in place.
i was going to use this idea but didn't need to in the end.

whatever way you use to hold the stud, make sure it can't move, because in my case, if the stud was wrong when this glue went off, i was a bit f*cked :lol:

it is important to make sure the glue does not go higher than the surronding plastic, if it does, smooth it back as this will become a problem when fitting it back to car if left

ok let now say you have your studs glued in, if you find there too long, trim them, best bet is with a drimmel and cutting wheel, but don't let the stud get to hot as it might affect your glue.
if the studs are at a ok length leave them.

now i used 4mm stainless nuts, and made my own washers out of 1p coins and rubber.(no pics as i havent done them this time round yet)
yeah thats right, a 1p coin wont rust, and if its clean and the rubber is clean you can stick the rubber to it, and a 1p coin bends a bit so thats cool
now with stainless nuts and stainless studs, its not going to rust up, however grit etc will stick to it over time and the fine thread can be damaged if you try and take them off, so i covered my thread in copper grease, i know it makes stuff stick to it more and faster but the grease is in the thread so the dirts not, and its easy to wipe off for removal.
or you could use stainless dome nuts, that should stop water and dirt getting in :) i have some but dunno if to use them yet

now please note, because you are fitting new studs to your arches, do not expect them to fit back on right first time, im not saying they wont, but it depends on how off center the studs are, the holes in the car panels etc, you will see the hole in the car panels are bigger than the studs, this is to allow a little movement and adjustment for the arch, worst case, your have to get a rats tail file out and open the holes in the body work (and repaint when done) to get the archs to fit 100% but you might be lucky.
i will no doubt have to do a little work, so if your planning a full repaint, try the new "re studded" skirt on the car before you send it for paint :wink:

you dont have to make your own washers, you could use stainless ones, but your have to put your own rubber on them.
or if you want (and there not cheap) you could buy new fixings from fords, its the nut washer and rubber bit all in one, but remember there made from mild steel and will rust, and being on stainless steel stud, it will cause a electrolitic (spelt right?) reaction which mean they will corrode and prob faster.

its a myth that stainless is better (in most cases), common stainless bolts are weaker than steel bolts, but in this case because it is only holding a bit of plastic against a car body is is more than up to the job.

i wasn't paying attention when i was fitting my arch back on a few years back and was talking to my mate while doing it up, the arch had a massive dip in it where i was pulling it in so much, but it came out when i undid it though (phew) so the 4mm stainless bolt/screws are plenty stong enough.

i got all my fixings off ebay as believe it or not, for the amount i got it was far cheaper than if i got it in a shop near me.

good luck with it, and remember, if your not having the arches re painted, lay them on something soft so they dont get scratched up, i made that mistake the other year :lol: :lol:

1 last thing, apologies for any spelling or grammer mistakes, i'm not the best with "written" work

hope this helps, and if anyone has any questions, ask away or pm me.
Last edited by jayrs on Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jayrs
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: FRST, XR2, ST170, ST225

Car: 1991 Ford Fiesta RS Turbo

Postby lucasdemoley on Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:36 pm

good guide. I was going to bin the set i had, but i'll fix them now..... maybe!
Just because I keep talking about definetly doing it doesn't mean I'm actualy going to do it.
lucasdemoley
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Tweek on Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:39 pm

How old and wrinkly are your hands? :lol: just messin :P

Interesting guide, I may actually do this to mine for extra support!
Tweek
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: VW Golf GTD

Car: 1996 Ford Fiesta Zetec Turbo

Postby jayrs on Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:45 pm

Tweek2k5 wrote:How old and wrinkly are your hands? :lol: just messin :P

Interesting guide, I may actually do this to mine for extra support!

there working hand my boy :lol: :lol:

and im only 26 :aaah: :lol: :lol:

lucasdemoley, if you dont want your old set and was gunna bin them, send them me, ill pay ya for the postage and do them and keep them as spares :wink:
jayrs
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby MattPym on Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:55 pm

Good post. I dont fear doing the task as much now! :lol:
MattPym
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Ollybee on Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:29 am

Best guide in the list. Good work.
Those that can, do; and those that can't, talk about it.
YRN Thread - yrn-vt151433/
FACEBOOK - http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=869385470
Ollybee
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: Focus Titanium & Fiesta ST

Car: 1996 Ford Fiesta Quartz

Postby jayrs on Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:43 am

cheers dude :)
jayrs
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby lucasdemoley on Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:14 am

I'm away at uni atm, I'll check them out when i get home. They were on an old car of mine which i wrote off. Not really bad bodywork damage but i think there were a few scraps on them. JUst decing if im gona stick with my bodykit look, or go frst and in that case use them, unless i cant be botherd with them! Either way, If i decidee to get rid of them due to my parents nagging me, i'll let you know about them!
Just because I keep talking about definetly doing it doesn't mean I'm actualy going to do it.
lucasdemoley
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby lucasdemoley on Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:14 am

I'm away at uni atm, I'll check them out when i get home. They were on an old car of mine which i wrote off. Not really bad bodywork damage but i think there were a few scraps on them. JUst decing if im gona stick with my bodykit look, or go frst and in that case use them, unless i cant be botherd with them! Either way, If i decidee to get rid of them due to my parents nagging me, i'll let you know about them!
lucasdemoley
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby jayrs on Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:29 am

ok mate nice one.
not worried about scrahces, they can be skimmed over
jayrs
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby jdfiesta on Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:07 am

brilliant guide.
if i do decide on getting xr/rs arches for mine i'll be doing this
JJ
My ebay stuff http://shop.ebay.co.uk/merchant/2.0zetec

Is that the best you can do?
www.volvot5.co.uk - www.germanshepherdsuk.co.uk
2000 V70 T5 SE - 2.3, 5 cylinder, 20V, VVT, Turbo, 250bhp, cream leather, climate control, the works!
jdfiesta
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Your car: V70 T5

Postby clemsta on Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:09 am

great guide, i'm putting rs skirts and arches on a si shell, any tips on how to drill the holes for the bolts to go through in the wing and rear quarter panels.

Thanks

Adam
clemsta
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Postby jayrs on Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:36 am

yeah, before you remove the old studs offer them up, fix the skirts in place with tape or something and add on the rest of the kit, before you do the arches, put masking tape on the wings and rear panels roughly where the stud will go through.
put a thinish bit of blue tac or plasticne (soz dunno how to spell it) again roughly where the bolts will go through, but make then big in size so the old stud wont miss it, then cover the blue tac or plasticne with more masking tape, this will stop it sticking to the arch, offer it up and push down lightly on where the bolts will be so it make a indentation on the blue tac, when you remove the arch your have 4 points of contact, if your happy with it you have your points to drill, and i would spot through the blue take with a small drill bit in a drill, just enough to mark the paint so you can remove the tape and everything to make sure you drill in the right place.

but remember they will be a guide only, depending on how well you re stud the arches depends on how well there fit through the holes, but the hols in the car body need to be bigger, im sure from standard there about 8mm, this give adjustment on the arch, worst case, if ones a bit tight, open it out with a rats tail file.

only tip on the above, dont make your blue tac too thick that it pushes the arch out a lot, and dont make it too thin that it doesnt make contact at all.

and if you fitting the stainless brackets to the bottom of the rear panles, get them in the right place :lol: :lol:

if i remember i will take a messurement from my car as to holes for the stainless brackets for you to use as a guide, and i reckon your be best off fitting them before you mark out for drilling holes etc

hope it helps mate
jayrs
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby clemsta on Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:22 pm

Thanks alot pal that was really helpful but not sure what you meant by stainless brackets, could you post a pic.

Thanks

Adam
clemsta
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Postby jayrs on Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:04 pm

its not the best pic in the world i know but the only one i have from a kit i sold long ago mate

these are the brackets, as i said they go on the bottom part of the rear panel.
not everyone fits them though.

jayrs
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby AW3K on Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:09 pm

hi jayrs what glue is that and where did you get it?

i've tried loads of differenet ones and non grip,

any help would be good

Cheers

Andy
AW3K
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby jayrs on Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:19 pm

its called plexus mate, i got it from a place i used to work, its about £75 a tube so i was told, but dunno how true it is, but its good stuff and might only be availavle to the industrial companys.
plus theres a few different one, plexus is the make, it has a number to state which glue it is, i think the one i useds is T110 but ill have to check.

what glues have you used so far? and did you rough it up fully before putting glue in?
jayrs
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby AW3K on Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:56 pm

cheers jay

i've looked for that plexus stuff and its hard to find, well near impossable.

i've tried
Shock bond, liqud metal as its metal to metal, areldite and some others that i cant remember,

gunna try pink grip next i think

Andy
AW3K
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby jayrs on Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:04 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: i only used plexus as i got it from work, but if you can get it make sure you get the right one, i got some grey stuff from a mate the other week and 3 days later it still wasnt dried fully, plus it was cr@p.
i use the blue stuff, as soon as i get another tube of it ill give ya the number off it as there are a few.

did you put the little holes down the sides for "roots"?

have ya tried grip fill?
jayrs
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby AW3K on Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:28 pm

jayrs wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: i only used plexus as i got it from work, but if you can get it make sure you get the right one, i got some grey stuff from a mate the other week and 3 days later it still wasnt dried fully, plus it was cr@p.
i use the blue stuff, as soon as i get another tube of it ill give ya the number off it as there are a few.

did you put the little holes down the sides for "roots"?

have ya tried grip fill?

yeah i dug down and cut notches into the end of the screw but the glue seamed to be more like a rubber than a solid,

gunna try sommet called pink grip and see if that works

Whats grip fill and where do i get it?

cheers

Andy
AW3K
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby jayrs on Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:00 pm

grip fill is like pink grip, made by the same people and you can get it anywhere, B&Q sell it and i think its about £3-£4 a tube
dunno if it will be anygood but its like a no more nails type thing
jayrs
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Re: GUIDE to re-studing xr/rs arches

Postby Steveboy on Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:46 pm

I have had the same prob, all the glues and solutions I have used have been no good.

Any chance you could blag a tube of that plexus T110 for is??
Steveboy
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby jayrs on Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:21 pm

i dont work there any more mate.

i said about some glue on passion ford to a guy.

strange this post has come back on both forums at the same time :lol:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Epoxy-Resin-Glue- ... 240%3A1308
jayrs
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Steveboy on Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:56 pm

Nice one jayrs

I'll get that and give it a try, I know it's good stuff as in my old work I used a similar epoxy to glue sim cards in to mobiles. Don't ask I just done what I was told. and we had to wreck the phone to get the sim card back lol.

So defo should be a good buy.
Steveboy
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby jayrs on Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:00 pm

ive never used it, but for £4 its worth a shot.

report back and let me know if its any good and i can edit the maint post to include it as a usable replacement for what i used
jayrs
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Steveboy on Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:18 pm

Yeah no worries mate. I have just ordered it so will let you know by the end of next week.
Steveboy
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby jayrs on Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:28 pm

cool
jayrs
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby KINGHORN on Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:50 pm

DID this today, just to let you know if you use the bit that allows you to cut any shaped hole you want for the dremel, looks just like a drill bit, makes it so much easier.
KINGHORN
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby jayrs on Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:02 pm

i know the bit you mean, bung a pic up of it though mate so other can see it.

how did it come out for you? ok i guess? hope the guide was helpful mate
jayrs
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby KINGHORN on Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:14 pm

il take a pic of it the morn,

well just need to put the new studs in, gettin some glue tomoro, but yeah the guide helped alot, would have just bonded them on otherwise,

cheeRS
KINGHORN
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby jayrs on Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:16 pm

nice one mate, glad the guide was of help :o)
jayrs
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby RS Joe on Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:15 pm

Top guide Jay!

Just done my front arch, Took me about 20 mins if that, I have used some black sealant/ adhesive type stuff (bit like stikaflex), will let you know if it's any good later and also stick a couple of pic's up.

Thanks for the guide... much better than bonding them on.
Joe

Edit:

Tried to put pic's up but they won't show, (and my sig has dissapeared on here too, odd!?) So will stick em up in my project thread in members gallery, just to show what I used to set the new screws in.

Cheers Jay, very helpful
RS Joe
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby jayrs on Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:23 pm

nice one mate, glad it was of some help mate.

the BB code is off in the guides room, meaning no smileys, no sigs etc, dunno why, just always been like it.

you can post the clickly link to them on here, just means people will have to click it to see the pciture
jayrs
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby RS Joe on Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:42 pm

Ok I'll give that a go in a bit... after I've finished stuffing my face with fajitas... bloody lovely.

EDIT:
This is what I used
http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy18 ... 009340.jpg
http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy18 ... 009345.jpg

There are loads of different company's that make simillar stuff to this.
RS Joe
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby sikora on Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:51 pm

Anyone experimented with any other glue? How has that Wurth stuff held up Joe?
sikora
Post Master
Post Master

Your car: XR2i, Clio Trophy

Next

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.