Guide: MK5/Puma Digital Dials into MK3.5 Fiesta Guide

Topics related to styling, bodywork, wheels, interior etc.

Guide: MK5/Puma Digital Dials into MK3.5 Fiesta Guide

Postby happypaul on Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:34 pm

MK5/Puma Digital Dials into MK3.5 Fiesta Guide

This guide will explain the wiring to wire up a set of Digital Dials as found in some Puma's and MK5 Fiesta's.

Please note: The dials may be able to be modded to fit into the MK3 dash perfectly like shown in the MK4 analog dials conversion (see fiestaguides.co.uk for some info on that) .. I have not modded the clocks to fit perfectly due to not wanting to butcher a good set of Digital Dials, and another reason being is that I am fitting a MK4/5/Puma dash in the near future!

What you will need:

A set of Puma/MK5 Fiesta Digital Dials like so (mine have white dials):

The wiring plug from the said dials and as much wiring as you can cut off!

MK3.5 Fiesta loom - The MK3 loom has different colour wires and maybe some different pinouts so I cannot garantee this list will work, but I am fairly sure it will work on all the MK3 and 3.5 looms!

Please bear in mind that Ford did play around with wires and pinouts on all the MK3 MK3.5's and MK5's so the chances of you picking up a set of MK5 clocks with different pinouts is possible. But it isnt too hard to figure out what the wires do :)

Wire them up as you please, you can make an adaptor board to slot into the MK3 plug or you can cut the wires and solder them up.. its up to you!

If done correctly your dials should be working and your speedo cable is now redundant!

You will notice more accurate speedo readings, and have a digital mileage readout!

The only thing to worry about (for now) is the fuel gauge will read backwards showing Full when Empty and Empty with the petrol light showing, when full.
I am going to fit a MK5 fuel sender in the tank to see if this sorts the problem out ;)

Another thing you might want to know is, if you hold the mileage reset button with the engine running, turn the engine off while holding this button in, then turn the engine back on.. keep holding the button until "test" is shown on the screen.
You can then do diagnostics for the clocks to make sure they are working correctly and all the dials will reset themselves. You can also show lots of other information, like speed and RPM while driving :)

Video of speed shown on digital output here:
Enjoy :chill:
happypaul
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Re: Guide: MK5/Puma Digital Dials into MK3.5 Fiesta Guide

Postby FRST5090 on Sun May 10, 2009 9:28 pm

did you get the fuel gauge working correctly with a mk5 sender
FRST5090
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby MK4 Rick on Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:18 pm

Ive used this guide to correct a few wires on the mk4 and it works great
MK4 Rick
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Your car: Mk5 Fiesta

Postby russ-RST on Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:02 pm

I have mk4 clocks in mine but there manual rather than digital but my fuel gauge works perfect in mine , wired in as normal

Russ
russ-RST
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Your car: fiesta rs turbo

Postby AW0L on Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:22 pm

i think its only the digital ones that cause the problems when fitting to a mk3... i fitted the mk5 sender and fixes the issue
I’d rather lose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me. Your car, is your story, so don’t let someone else write the book. – MOOG (Mighty Car Mods)
AW0L
Post Master
Post Master

Your car: ford fiesta 1.8 xr2i

Postby MK4 Rick on Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:17 pm

AW0L wrote:i think its only the digital ones that cause the problems when fitting to a mk3... i fitted the mk5 sender and fixes the issue

My clocks in my mk4 are digital and when I did my engine conversion to 2 litre I lost my speedo and rev counter.I looked at the mk4 guide and the colours of the wires didn't match yet the mk5 was perfect :lol:
MK4 Rick
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Your car: Mk5 Fiesta

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.