Guide: How To Adjust Tappets

Please check here before posting to see if your question has been answered before.

Postby Cobby on Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:12 am

Good to see people havent been forgetting the lower spec fiestas :lol:

Cobby
Cobby
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Postby greavey on Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:01 pm

I tried adjusting tappets but it seems that if i try and turn the bolt it feels like its gonna snap. are tappet bolts normaly this tight. 1.3 endura hcs mk4
greavey
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: Guide: How To Adjust Tappets

Postby xr2irhys on Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:29 pm

yes they are the " stiff thread " type , so its how it is meant to be
xr2irhys
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Car: 1996 Ford Fiesta Classic

Postby djinuk on Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:58 am

hey, i am looking at doing this on a ford ka 1.3 tomorrow

what are the clearances , and which way to a count the valve. is number 1 valves closest the flywheel ? , and from there does it go 12345678, or ??
djinuk
Post Master
Post Master

Postby EUFez on Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:11 pm

I need to do my tappets. Anyone help me? Haha...
EUFez
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby whitelockpaul on Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:36 pm

How To Adjust Tappets On a 1.3 OHV Cfi Fiesta

1. Jack the front right wheel up, using a trolley jack.
2. Open the bonnet and remove the airbox, using a
philips screwdriver.
3. Remove the rocker cover, using a 10mm socket.
4. Turn the wheel until 1/2 or 3/4 or 5/6 or 7/8 are “Rocking” and the rockers are both at the same height. This is where the left one is closing (up) and the right one is opening (down).
5. Adjust the correct tappets shown below, using a 11mm socket and a feeler gauge.
6. Put the engine back together and start the car.

Iv just had an attempt to try and adjust the tappets on my wifes 1.3 T reg Fiesta. I got to the rockers etc easily enough but when following the above how to i just got a bit lost.
I got to moving the wheel and i then looked at the rockers and 5/6 and 7/8 were all at the same height and 1/2 and 3/4 were at some stage of movement. I then thought this was a bit strange as i expected only one set of valves to be at the same height. Is this normal or not? I looked at where it says that if 7/8 are level to adjust 1/2 but how can i when the valves are in a state of movement?
whitelockpaul

Postby rub73 on Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:41 pm

I make your concerns mine... and more, I don't understand why Hynes manual says that we should adjust those that are shot when their pairs are rocking (ex. adjust 1 and 2 when 8 and 7 are rocking). I don't understand the meaning of this, since for me, the most understandable thing is to adjust those that are rocking, cause they are exactly already open. If we follow what the Hayne's manual says, then we would have to loosen them in order to adjust them. But, isn't this kind of weird? Would it be right? Does someone have already done this like that? I insist that for me it is more reasonable to adjust for ex. 7 and 8 when 1 and 2 are all the way down, meaning shut.

Could someone with the knowledge, or that has done this before, clarify this please?

Thanks in advance

[quote="whitelockpaul"]How To Adjust Tappets On a 1.3 OHV Cfi Fiesta

Iv just had an attempt to try and adjust the tappets on my wifes 1.3 T reg Fiesta. I got to the rockers etc easily enough but when following the above how to i just got a bit lost.
I got to moving the wheel and i then looked at the rockers and 5/6 and 7/8 were all at the same height and 1/2 and 3/4 were at some stage of movement. I then thought this was a bit strange as i expected only one set of valves to be at the same height. Is this normal or not? I looked at where it says that if 7/8 are level to adjust 1/2 but how can i when the valves are in a state of movement?[/quote]
rub73

Postby robk on Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:51 pm

Rule of 9, everything adds up to 9.

When 1 is down, adjust 8 (1 + 8 = 9)
When 2 is down, adjust 7 (2 + 7 = 9)
When 3 is down, adjust 6 (3 + 6 = 9)
When 4 is down, adjust 5 (4 + 5 = 9)
When 5 is down, adjust 4 (5 + 4 = 9)
When 6 is down, adjust 3 (6 + 3 = 9)
When 7 is down, adjust 2 (7 + 2 = 9)
when 8 is down, adjust 1 (8 + 1 = 9)

follow the manufacturers specification, feeler guage should drag slightly but not have to be forced at all. Make sure when you measure stuff, the feeler guage is completely square to the two surfaces. make sure when you're setting the rockers that there is no play in the one you are adjusting. if you have up and down play after adjusting it, adjust it again. make sure the rocker is as "up" as it can go before you adjust it. you want to eliminate the gap between the pushrod and the rocker, and maintain the gap you're supposed to have between the rocker and the valve stem. i think you're supposed to do it when its cold.

But some you do when they're warm, depends on what the manufacturer says. Some of the old vauxhals are supposed to be adjusted while the engine is running.
robk

Your car: Saab 9-3

Postby robk on Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:01 pm

[quote="rub73"]I make your concerns mine... and more, I don't understand why Hynes manual says that we should adjust those that are shot when their pairs are rocking (ex. adjust 1 and 2 when 8 and 7 are rocking). I don't understand the meaning of this, since for me, the most understandable thing is to adjust those that are rocking, cause they are exactly already open. If we follow what the Hayne's manual says, then we would have to loosen them in order to adjust them. But, isn't this kind of weird? Would it be right? Does someone have already done this like that? I insist that for me it is more reasonable to adjust for ex. 7 and 8 when 1 and 2 are all the way down, meaning shut.

Could someone with the knowledge, or that has done this before, clarify this please?

Thanks in advance

[quote="whitelockpaul"]How To Adjust Tappets On a 1.3 OHV Cfi Fiesta

I got to moving the wheel and i then looked at the rockers and 5/6 and 7/8 were all at the same height and 1/2 and 3/4 were at some stage of movement. I then thought this was a bit strange as i expected only one set of valves to be at the same height. Is this normal or not? I looked at where it says that if 7/8 are level to adjust 1/2 but how can i when the valves are in a state of movement?[/quote][/quote]

oh and yeah its fine, because basically the piston only goes up and down, but it has to do that 4 times for each combustion cycle, so while only one piston is having an explosion (both valves closed), the other 3 might be compressing (in which case both valves will be closed) or they might be inducting air and fuel (inlet valve open, exhaust closed) or they might be expelling exhaust gas (exhaust valve open, inlet closed).

But they'll all be at different stages at any one time, but never the same stage as one of the others.
robk

Your car: Saab 9-3

Previous

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.