guide, got a electrical problem, look here first.

Please check here before posting to see if your question has been answered before.

guide, got a electrical problem, look here first.

Postby jayrs on Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:08 am

fingers crossed this one doesnt go missing :lol:
on the change over of the site, my sticky post for this topic got lost or something, but its not here in guides and the seach cant find it and it contained some usefull info to help others and save the same questions being asked over and over again, so once again, here the info.
im not going to do s much writing in it this time due to the fact i cant really be fcuked to to it again, but the pictures tell you want you need to know etc so the writing was just me banging on :lol: :lol:

the green relay in the above pic is the ignition relay, it does suffer with problems, melting the fuse box is common, and the pins on this relay will "soot" up or the clips in fuse box open out and contact is lost and all sorts of problems come up, no reverse light, not heater fan, not rad fan etc, and all other problems, take it out, clean the puins and put back, some times the relay can melt and its best replaced.
please not, lower spec cars will have a 4 pin yellow one not a 5 pin green one. but it tend to be the 5 pin greens that suffer, not the relay it self, the currewnt drawn through it to run the fan and everything else

hazard relay is locatesd here (shown without relay fitted)

there you have it, got a electrical problem, see how you get one.
these pic's etc were take from a online haynes manual, if i can find it again, i shall ask for a link to it be made sticky again also.
jayrs
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: FRST, XR2, ST170, ST225

Car: 1991 Ford Fiesta RS Turbo

Re: guide, got a electrical problem, look here first.

Postby cornishben on Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:49 pm

Handy little guide, I have an intermittent heater fan and engine fan which is bugging me
Have changed the fan switch, 82 deg thermostat and temp sender to no avail, i am hoping the green ignition relay will cure it.

Best place to get one from anyone?

Cheers Ben
cornishben
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Your car: Fiesta RS Turbo

Postby jayrs on Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:50 pm

try cleaning the pins up first mate, and make sure the contacts in the fuse box are tight and not gapping open.

ford still sell the relay but its far from cheap.
i have some i can sell if the need is great but your prob find that cleaning the pins will sort it
jayrs
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby cornishben on Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:09 am

Thanks for the reply, i have cleaned the pins on the relay, will check the gaps in the fusebox tonight
cornishben
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Your car: Fiesta RS Turbo

Postby jayrs on Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:58 am

you could also have 2 different faults, the heater fan is controled via a resistor,this is located next to the blower motor in the engine bay, and yes you have to take a bit of stuff off to get to it.
plugs rust and connections get poor, or the resistor can fail to the point the fan might only work on 1 setting, but corroded connection on the resistor couls be a cuase also.

same for the rad ran, there is a plug for the fan below the bassanger headlight, or along the front panel, this is worth checking and WD40'ing, and the plug that goes onto the thermo switch in the thermostat housing could also be iffy, WD40 it up, but the wires can break internally on this plug also, so worst case yuor need to change the plug if it comes down to it
jayrs
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.