[GUIDE] Fitting Seatbelt Adjusters and Pillar Trims

Please check here before posting to see if your question has been answered before.

[GUIDE] Fitting Seatbelt Adjusters and Pillar Trims

Postby AW3K on Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:28 am

In this guide I will show you how to add a seatbelt height adjuster to your mk3 fiesta.
Along with the adjuster I will also show you how to hide all the unsightly cold metal within the car by installing panel trims.

This only applies to mk3 fiesta’s of the poverty spec, i.e no electric pack.

The car used in this guides is a mk3 k reg 3 door with standard rear quarter glass windows.

Tools needed:
Screwdrivers
Torx bits
Socket set
Drill and 3mm drill bit

Firstly obtain the seatbelt adjusters and trims from Ebay, scrap yard or wherever you get your parts from.
Here’s what you need:
Left and right seatbelt adjusters with all bolts from a mk3, (Mk3.5’s are different)
Left and right “B” pillar trims
4 self-tapping screws for “B” pillar trims
Left and right “C” pillar trims
2 self-tapping screws for “C” pillar trims

Get into your car and look at the “B” pillar where the seatbelt is anchored, you will notice 2 plastic screw heads one above and one below the existing seatbelt mount.
Remove these with the correct sized screwdriver.
Now remove the trim that covers the seatbelt-mounting bolt, do this with a flat bladed screwdriver and set aside.
Next remove the mounting bolt, I think it is around 17mm and lower the seatbelt to the floor making sure you don’t twist it.

Get the adjuster and line it up with the upper and lower mounting holes that you removed the plastic screws from.
Using a TX50 Torx bit, tighten these bolts up tight, not sure on the torque setting, as it isn’t listed in the Haynes manual.
Remove the adjuster knob with a small flat screwdriver, as it will get in the way if left on.

Next place the “B” Pillar trim up to the bare metal, you may have to move the door rubber seal out a little to make it fit.
Make sure the adjuster is set to the middle of its runner and place the trim over it ensuring the adjuster protrudes through it.
Now align the trim correctly so it looks neat top and bottom with the rear door card and the headlining. Again left and right, with the window seal and door seal.

When you are happy with the alignment, get out the drill with the 3mm drill bit and drill through the two mounting holes, just enough to mark them, remove the trim and fully drill the holes.

Replace the trim and use the self-tapping screws to secure the trim to the car body.
Lastly you need to put the seatbelt back on, again tight but not over tight.
Replace the plastic trim and place the adjuster knob back onto the adjuster body.
Also if you removed the door seals, make sure you replace them.

Test the unit by depressing the adjuster knob and pushing the seatbelt up and down; when the knob is released it should click into place.

Repeat as above for the other side of the car.

The rear or “C” Pillar trims are a little more difficult to fit as you need to remove or at least slacken the parcel shelf supports.

Firstly open the boot and look at what you are dealing with, if it is the 3 door version with standard rear quarter glass you will need to remove the black plastic covers that plug the holes where the handles for opening windows would go.
Pull away the boot rubber seal around the “C” pillar to enable the trim to fit flush.

With those removed you now need to remove the parcel shelf and take out any speakers if there, then remove the top mounting bolts that hold the supports secure.

When these are removed the support will pivot away from the car to enable you to fit the trim.
It is entirely up to you if you want to remove the button clip that holds the headlining up, but I left it there, doesn’t cause any harm.

Remove the trim from the seatbelt anchor point and remove the seatbelt as described above making sure you don’t twist it.

Move the trim around the gas lift on the drivers’ side and place flat onto the metal. And push the support back and tighten the bolts back up taking note that one of the top ones now go through the “C” Pillar trim, holding it secure at the base.

Again when you are happy with the alignment of the trim, drill the hole in the upper part of the trim and secure it with a self-tapping screw.
Re-bolt the seatbelt mount to the correct torque and refit the trim cap.

Repeat for the other side. Then replace the boot rubber seal and parcel shelf.
This guide is basically the same for the 5-door version, but the “B” pillar trims are longer and the “C” pillars are larger.

And that’s it done; I think you will agree it looks a lot nicer and warmer with trims added.

Hope the guide is of some help

Written by Andrew Whiteman 07th December 2005
AW3K
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby AW3K on Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:07 pm

up we go,

some one shift this to the guides forum please

thanks

Andy
AW3K
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby RS_Rawli on Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:45 pm

nice, threw mine in the bin last weekend :P :lol:
RS_Rawli
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby AW3K on Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:16 am

RS_Rawli wrote:nice, threw mine in the bin last weekend :P :lol:

cheers mate

Aye but not all people want a speed demon car that every bit of uslessness is removed for speed :P

we can all wish tho :)

Andy
AW3K
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby AGAR on Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:50 pm

Interesting - i re-fitted mine over the weekend on my mk3.5 after fitting opening rear quarters - the mk3.5 B-pillar trims are crap, there are no screws to locate it - just plastic connectors, which ofcourse are brittle and snap :x

Are there different rear C - pillar trims for cars with opening rear quarters then? I didnt even think there were pillars for that area. Thinking of buying a set and then spraying them black along with the B-pillar trims.
AGAR
Post Master
Post Master

Postby AW3K on Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:01 pm

AGAR wrote:Interesting - i re-fitted mine over the weekend on my mk3.5 after fitting opening rear quarters - the mk3.5 B-pillar trims are crap, there are no screws to locate it - just plastic connectors, which ofcourse are brittle and snap :x

Are there different rear C - pillar trims for cars with opening rear quarters then? I didnt even think there were pillars for that area. Thinking of buying a set and then spraying them black along with the B-pillar trims.

yeah the mk3.5 ones locate into slots in the metal, where teeth clips hold the little posts, and of cause as you found out, very brittle, suppose you could drill holes for the mk3 ones but then the hole in the plastic would be a different size and shape for the adjuster thing.

there are only 1 set of c trims for a mk3 that have brake out bits for the window catch, ill get a photo later to show you, its kinda depressed and thinner in that area if you get what i mean, use a knife and cut it out.
dont think the mk3.5 ones had it as they never came with the opening windows.
dont quote me but i am sure you can get them in black for the mk3.5,

mk4 ones also fit as far as i know and they did some in black. and they came with opening windows.

also the c trims for the mk3 only had an opening on the drivers side for the gas strutt thing, where as the mk3.5/mk4 has an opening on both sides as they have strutts on both.

hope that helps a little

Andy
AW3K
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby AGAR on Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:21 pm

AW3K wrote:
AGAR wrote:Interesting - i re-fitted mine over the weekend on my mk3.5 after fitting opening rear quarters - the mk3.5 B-pillar trims are crap, there are no screws to locate it - just plastic connectors, which ofcourse are brittle and snap :x

yeah the mk3.5 ones locate into slots in the metal, where teeth clips hold the little posts, and of cause as you found out, very brittle, suppose you could drill holes for the mk3 ones but then the hole in the plastic would be a different size and shape for the adjuster thing.

there are only 1 set of c trims for a mk3 that have brake out bits for the window catch, ill get a photo later to show you, its kinda depressed and thinner in that area if you get what i mean, use a knife and cut it out.
dont think the mk3.5 ones had it as they never came with the opening windows.
dont quote me but i am sure you can get them in black for the mk3.5,

mk4 ones also fit as far as i know and they did some in black. and they came with opening windows.

also the c trims for the mk3 only had an opening on the drivers side for the gas strutt thing, where as the mk3.5/mk4 has an opening on both sides as they have strutts on both.

hope that helps a little

Andy

Cheers that helps alot - didn't know the mk3's only had one boot strut?

I guess i'll just have to take what i can find at the scrappy or on ebay - they don't really turn up often.

Will the mk4 covers have the holes in the same place for the opening rear quarters?
AGAR
Post Master
Post Master

Postby AW3K on Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:35 pm

AGAR wrote:Cheers that helps alot - didn't know the mk3's only had one boot strut?

I guess i'll just have to take what i can find at the scrappy or on ebay - they don't really turn up often.

Will the mk4 covers have the holes in the same place for the opening rear quarters?

no problem mate

yeah mk3 only had one, a very strong one and as a result it caused the boot lid to twist and deform thats why sometimes you see a bigger gap around the lights on the drivers side on a mk3,

as far as i know , but please check as i think the window will be a different shape ???

i always get them when im in a scrappers as you never know if they will turn up again, ill have a look to see if i have a spare set

Andy
AW3K
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby tompeteRS on Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:45 pm

C-Pillars only came in Cream and are the same regardless of whether you have a MK3 or MK3.5 with or without opening rear windows.

MK4/5 C-pillars will not fit a MK3 Fiesta because of the different shaped rear window and C-pillar. No amount of trimming will make them fit properly believe I've tried. :wink:

MK3.5 B-Pillars will fit MK3 Fiestas and the MK4/5 ones are identical and come in lots of colours including Black. :) The MK3/MK3.5 ones are Cream.
tompeteRS
Authorised Trader
Authorised Trader

Postby AGAR on Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:41 pm

tompeteRS wrote:C-Pillars only came in Cream and are the same regardless of whether you have a MK3 or MK3.5 with or without opening rear windows.

MK4/5 C-pillars will not fit a MK3 Fiesta because of the different shaped rear window and C-pillar. No amount of trimming will make them fit properly believe I've tried. :wink:

MK3.5 B-Pillars will fit MK3 Fiestas and the MK4/5 ones are identical and come in lots of colours including Black. :) The MK3/MK3.5 ones are Cream.

Thats good to know cheers - mk3/3.5 cream c pilars it is then.
AGAR
Post Master
Post Master

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.