Fiesta ST 2.3 Turbo project - summer spent in the garage lol

Post pics of your Fiesta here.

Re: Fiesta ST 2.3 Turbo project

Postby SiST on Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:09 pm

Quick update

The sump return is being changed as I didn't realise the pipe would fowl the ranger block and never been 100% with it :(

Not been spending much recently as the missus is forcing me on an xmas holiday (yes life is hard! :lol: )

I have bought some supertech nitride coated valves though as the duratec ones are known for being weak:

I have also finished my MTX75 and now have the driveshafts and gear linkage and lever needed for the conversion:

I have done two conversions as a friend off another forum had blown his IB5 so once I have the money from that I can start spending again :D I am hoping he will decide to go turbo as well and then I can show you a few didn't projects on here :Q
SiST
Poster
Poster

Postby Excursion on Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:52 pm

More goodies.

Is the gearbox brand new? It looks nice! Out of interest, what shafts work in the Mk6 application? Do you use custom or do some stock Ford ones fit?
Excursion
Bulletin Board User
Bulletin Board User
Your car: Ford Fiesta

Car: 1990 Ford Fiesta XR2i

Postby SiST on Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:04 pm

Yes mate, the one in the pictures is not mine but both are brand new boxes. The lad travelled in the snow to collect it today and was made up with it all so that is good :)

Shaft wise the outers are custom uprated jobbies. :Q
SiST
Poster
Poster

Postby jonyb4 on Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:11 am

hmm them valves on the duratec is quite worring

them driveshafts wouldnt happen to be mk4/5 jobbies would they?

they look familier
1800 Zetec 133bhp 140lbs/ft
mk2 pop 1.4i
jonyb4
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Your car: Si 1.8, mk2 950, 2.0 capri

Car: 1995 Ford Fiesta Si 16v

Postby SiST on Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:09 pm

jonyb4 wrote:them driveshafts wouldnt happen to be mk4/5 jobbies would they?

they look familier

No mate, they are not OEM shafts
SiST
Poster
Poster

Postby SiST on Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:16 pm

Oops also ordered some PEC connecting rods and ultimate performance valve springs :Q

Dont tell the missus as I am supposed to be keeping my money for the holiday :bonkers:
SiST
Poster
Poster

Postby SiST on Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:19 pm

Well seeing as almost everything is now ordered, I thought I would put together a brief parts list for the new engine:

Block – Ranger block
Crank – Ranger crank
Front cover – Focus
Pistons – CP forged pistons - 8.5:1CR
Rods – PEC steel rods
Main bearings – Clevite 77
Rod bearings – Clevite 77
Oil pump – Cosworth HD
Sump – fiesta ST with return welded
Head gasket –ICS Titan Head Gasket
Head – fiesta ST ported and polished (still need to do)
Valves – Supertech flathead valves STD
Valve springs – Ultimate performance 13mm lift
Cams – standard for at least running in
All studs and bolts - ARP

Nothing amazing but should hopefully make the numbers and be reliable :)
SiST
Poster
Poster

Postby Excursion on Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:20 pm

Splenid. Get plenty of pics as you're building it, and make sure to check bores, bearings and ALL clearances as you build.
Excursion
Bulletin Board User
Bulletin Board User

Postby SiST on Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:16 pm

My mates an engine builder so he will be building it - I dont trust myself lol

Si
SiST
Poster
Poster

Postby SiST on Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:08 pm

A boring update but a very important one for me. Yesterday I dropped off all my engine/turbo/gearbox parts to be assembled at my mates. Was a lovely 600 mile round trip in a van as I needed to get a few more things whilst down south.

As soon as the illusive rods turn up then it is full steam ahead but he should be fitting my quaife to the MTX soon.

Pics as soon as I get them lol

Si
SiST
Poster
Poster

Postby SiST on Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:34 pm

Car is now off the road until the new engine is in and running. Whilst it is off the road, the current engine etc is in the process of being removed and most of it is sold now. Should be finished in the next few weekends when I have time. This is where it is currently upto - lots more still to do before the new one can go in.

Poor thing looks soo sorry for herself!

The rods still haven't turned up so the engine build can not start yet - I have been promised they will be in stock this week so we will see. I have also just spent about 500 quid on all the little gaskets, gears, pulleys and chains that you dont think about but need to be bought Head goes away hopefully next week to be ported. Hopefully we will have everything then for the engine build. Also just ordered a Odyssey PC680 racing battery to fit into my mates old battery case and a oil filter sandwich plate for an oil cooler. I am hopefully going to be using a custom one piece but if not I will use this.

Hopefully not many more parts to be buying now although I do keep looking at the DASH2's

Next on the shopping list is an Omex ECU which I will be putting a deposit on this week and some siemens deka 60lb injectors.
SiST
Poster
Poster

Postby jonyb4 on Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:25 pm

thats the thing with a engine build/conversion liek this, most people dont account money wise for all the little bits liek gaskets nuts and bolts, and servicing items :(
mk2 pop 1.4i
jonyb4
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Excursion on Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:55 pm

Look forward to more updates! What ratios have you gone for in the MTX?
Excursion
Bulletin Board User
Bulletin Board User

Postby SiST on Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:47 pm

Its nice to be able to get all these little bits done now so updates should be quite free flowing as I dont want this to just sit there in pieces for ages. Going to have an all dayer on it tomorrow as I have off work and remove as much as possible including the air con which is being binned.

MTX ratio wise, it is currently stock ratios and I really need to chat to my mate about what he recommends. He will be opening it up for the quaife fitting soon so would make sense for him to fit the gears then. I have been thinking of added a 5th gear from a diesel MTX as they have a much longer 5th gear but then again this is a road car essentially so not sure if there is much point. I must be honest and say I dont know much about the ratios so any advice is always welcome :)

Si
SiST
Poster
Poster

Postby Excursion on Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:24 pm

SiST wrote:MTX ratio wise, it is currently stock ratios and I really need to chat to my mate about what he recommends. He will be opening it up for the quaife fitting soon so would make sense for him to fit the gears then. I have been thinking of added a 5th gear from a diesel MTX as they have a much longer 5th gear but then again this is a road car essentially so not sure if there is much point. I must be honest and say I dont know much about the ratios so any advice is always welcome :)

Si

A friend gave me some ratio data for the MTX boxes. The mk1 Focus 2.0 zetec 1st gear is 3.417:1 and is the tallest and it together with a diesel ratio box is the best IMO.

The Mk1 Focus 1.8D 115ps box is also great.
Excursion
Bulletin Board User
Bulletin Board User

Postby SiST on Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:42 pm

Excursion wrote:
SiST wrote:MTX ratio wise, it is currently stock ratios and I really need to chat to my mate about what he recommends. He will be opening it up for the quaife fitting soon so would make sense for him to fit the gears then. I have been thinking of added a 5th gear from a diesel MTX as they have a much longer 5th gear but then again this is a road car essentially so not sure if there is much point. I must be honest and say I dont know much about the ratios so any advice is always welcome :)

Si

A friend gave me some ratio data for the MTX boxes. The mk1 Focus 2.0 zetec 1st gear is 3.417:1 and is the tallest and it together with a diesel ratio box is the best IMO.

The Mk1 Focus 1.8D 115ps box is also great.

Thats interesting mate - I had a read after putting that last night on the ratios and read that there are two different types of ratios as below (from http://www.vibratesoftware.com/html_hel ... Main.htm#6 Man Tx )

MTX-75 3.667 2.136 1.448 1.028 0.767
MTX-75 3.42 2.14 1.45 1.03 0.77

I might leave it for now - its a brand new box which has cost enough - I expect some development work to take place after its all fitted anyway. I will price up the gears etc and see how much it would be to change it all.

Thanks alot :)
SiST
Poster
Poster

Postby Excursion on Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:52 pm

Ahh there are a lot more than that :) You can build up an idea box from a selection of cheap second hand boxes :D
Excursion
Bulletin Board User
Bulletin Board User

Postby SiST on Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:43 pm

Time for a quick update me thinks

The rods are apparently still stuck in customs waiting to get to PEC so they can be sent to the seller and then to my engine builder. All in all sounds like a royal f**k up at there end which is stopping the engine being built but there is not really anything I can do at my end to quicken the process up so to myself up I bought a owens development turbo heat jacket to try and keep the bay temps down.

Car wise last weekend I only had an hour or two free but managed to remove all the engine loom and most of the accileries and today as the sun was out for once, I resisted bathing in my back garden with my budgie smugglers on and finished removing my engine:

Poor thing is filthy and looks soo sorry for her self. If anyone is wondering why I am having to work outside, its a very small garage and space is to a minimum so most of the parts removed have to be removed out of the garage every time lol:

Finally out and back in the garage:

Like I said its a tight fit!:

Tomorrow I might remove the air con piping, IB5 gear linkage and the exhaust if I have time.

Si
SiST
Poster
Poster

Postby Excursion on Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:32 pm

Nice brakes! What did you pay for the MTX out of interest?

What's the ETA for the engine?
Excursion
Bulletin Board User
Bulletin Board User

Postby jonyb4 on Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:24 pm

what did you do about the gas in the aircon?

loving them brakes, serious bit of kit them

i can see this eligible for a mag feature in the near future :)
mk2 pop 1.4i
jonyb4
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby SiST on Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:55 pm

Once the damn rods are here the bottom end will be assembled asap.

I have not heard about the head being back yet (and I have not been asked to hand over money lol) so once that is back it can be built up as well. I need to have a chat with AET turbo's about them mapping the engine as they have done a couple of ST turbo's on Omex I am lead to believe and i want to know what they think about running the car on stock cams and then changing them for the mapping.

MTX cost wise, it was an absolute bargain. Brand new, taken out of a 08 plate car and never used - 150 quid :Q :D Bought it with the quaife for 550 which I was more than happy with. Looking at gears at the moment actually lol

Yeah the AP's are a proper bit of kit. Luckily a good mate of mine was selling them as he stripped his ST and I got them for a fraction of the RRP :) I was building a brembo conversion at the time but couldn't turn these down.
SiST
Poster
Poster

Postby SiST on Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:04 pm

Look what we finally have!!!!!:

After a minor misundertanding thinking they weren't authentic ones as they look feck all like the ones I have seen before, PEC confirmed this was there latest design for them (better to be safe than sorry hey! )

Whilst waiting for them, I have been accumulating some of the small bits and pieces needed for the build and made myself laugh looking at them today so I thought I would share them with you:

Somewhere in there are:
M-Sport wishbones with the heavy duty ball joint
Ferriday thermal inlet gasket
Owens development turbo jacket
Mocal oil sandwich and 13 row cooler
Odyssey racing battery
Cable throttle
DEI titanium heat wrap for the exhaust manifold
Absolutely loads of ford/cosworth gaskets/bolts/pulleys/pumps etc for the engine
Probably more stuff I cant remember.

Oh and injectors are on the way

Si
SiST
Poster
Poster

Postby Excursion on Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:11 pm

Good stuff, I just bought the same coil pack for my 1.6 Mk5 Ghia. I had to double take and make sure it wasn't a pattern part as those green strip ones don't say Ford anywhere on them!

Have you gone for the standard rod ratio?
Excursion
Bulletin Board User
Bulletin Board User

Postby SiST on Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:07 pm

Excursion wrote:Good stuff, I just bought the same coil pack for my 1.6 Mk5 Ghia. I had to double take and make sure it wasn't a pattern part as those green strip ones don't say Ford anywhere on them!

Have you gone for the standard rod ratio?

Lol I know what you mean mate.

Yes they are just the off-the-shelf rods.
SiST
Poster
Poster

Postby SiST on Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:01 am

Managed to source an Omex 600 today - was gonna buy one through a group buy but found one for sale for £400 in blackpool so got that one:

SiST
Poster
Poster

Postby SiST on Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:24 pm

Update time I think:

05/03/11
I went to the car and spent most of the day on it again. Engine bay wise, air con pipes have been dremeled off and manifold is off as well as some misc things.

I then turned my attention to the interior and took the centre console out to remove the ST lever and linkage ready for the MTX75 items. Bloody flocking has got stuck in all the clips and most of them just snapped off but not to worry, I can source the damaged bits for peanuts and wanted to reflock them all anyway so they look the best they can

With the gear lever off and the throttle pedal off the car my thoughts this week have turned to making brackets to make the new versions fit with the original bolts etc.

(will most probably change the pedal to an ST170 item which looks much better)

I had already done some lever brackets for a customer a few months ago so had an idea what I wanted to do. This time I have gone for a plate which will go under the MTX75 lever and on the ST floor bolts with the aid of some nylon spacers. I did a design this week as I had some spare levers and it is currently being machined and should be with me this week:

Thats all for today :)
SiST
Poster
Poster

Postby SiST on Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:26 pm

06/03/11

So that I can put my mate Ryan's old boost pipe under the engine, the auxilery belt cover needs some slight modifying.

Chop chop!

And this is the reason why it needs to be modded:

SiST
Poster
Poster

Postby SiST on Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:33 pm

Quick update as not really done much this week.

The adaptor plates for the gear lever has come after being laser cut - massive thanks to Kyle (UltraV87) for your help with that. First test was to make sure I hadn't made a mistake with the design so I grabbed one of each lever and it is spot on

I have the MTX75 lever now fitted in the car and the MTX75 linkage fitted yesterday but forgot to take pics.

Also I managed to get another small job on the long list done which was drilling the front bar so the intercooler could be mounted. I spent much longer than I should of doing it but at least it is done and should be a quick install.

This week I have been a bit down about the car and those niggling thoughts of 'Why the am I doing this' are setting in quite badly. That coupled with some delays on the engine front, some clueless cocks telling me it will just all blow up and the fact that some kind sole decided to park there brand new Focus RS about 5 yards away from me whilst I was working on the car yesterday and I am starting to wish I had just bought a new car Well to help this current bout of 'manstration' I think some retail theropy is in order, and have ordered a nice Innovate LC1 with blue digital gauge which should be with me this week. I feel better already lol

Si
SiST
Poster
Poster

Postby SiST on Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:34 pm

26/03/11

Firstly last week found a slight issue with the original crank so a new crank had to be sourced. Bit of a pain but needs must. New crank turned up this week:

Also gave my inlet to my mate Chris to touch up some marks from the dipstick etc and apparently there was a misshap so he offered to respray it for me so decided to change the colour to match the block with sea grey and moonstone silver letters:

Whilst waiting for the engine I have looked at the PAS setup and what I can do. Its one of those things which has worried me since day one with the project. Looking at Ryno's engine bay he kept the OEM setup which I am not a fan of due to the fluid boiling over. Originally I was thinking of putting it to the right of the battery box (black circle on the below picture).

Unfortunately looking into the logistics of it, I would need pointlessly long return pipes to go under the oil breather tank which would be a bit of a crap solution so decided to have a tank made for the OEM location and have a 10 row cooler cooling the return fluid. This in itself is an issue though as I can not find a decent location to put it. Above the front bar will be the oil cooler in the centre and I cant fit it where I originally thought I could which was where JamSport fit the SC coolers as the hot side boost pipes would be right next to it and neutralise any benefits of it. Below is what I mean with the black circle being where the boost pipe will be (sorry for stealing the pic Chaddy but its the best one to illustrate it ):

The one way I can see it at the moment working is next to the intercooler upside down which is not what I want to do or have it in the engine bay some how. Small issues like this really do cause big headaches
SiST
Poster
Poster

Postby SiST on Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:39 pm

Got bored before watching the F1 and started looking at gear ratios for my MTX75 as speaking to a few people in the know tweaking the gears in the box will give a much better setup. Thanks alot to Mark Stewart (Excursion) on here for his help on this as it is all new to me.After looking at all the options this is what I am thinking of changing the ratios in my box to (I might keep the original first gear but dont see much point as it will be pretty much useless)

Yes in theory I will go no where near 220mph as I think the car would fall to pieces and I think the only place long enough would be the M6 lol but should be able to go towards the 180mph mark with my current power estimates if I do a top speed day. I have found a perfect donor for the gears which I will look at getting in the next few weeks

Si
SiST
Poster
Poster

Postby Excursion on Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:05 pm

Good work Si. I think I must have missed a few of your updates. Do you know if there is a short shift kit available for the MTX? I know the FRS Mk1 has one, but they are hard to find.

I guess the other alternative is to modify the standard item - does it look possible? (I haven't got a shifter yet!).
Excursion
Bulletin Board User
Bulletin Board User

Postby SiST on Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:35 pm

Yes mate - B&M sell one for the MK1 2.0 lever for a wallet crunching 180 quid. You can get copies though on ebay for a fraction of this.

I think I will just give my spare lever I have to a friend of a friend who is a fabricator and just get the shaft cut down and died to fit the OEM gear lever over. I just want to 100% check I have not made a mistake and I need a later linkage and lever (if so you have got yourself a free lever and linkage to say thanks for your help lol)
SiST
Poster
Poster

Postby Excursion on Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:18 pm

SiST wrote:Yes mate - B&M sell one for the MK1 2.0 lever for a wallet crunching 180 quid. You can get copies though on ebay for a fraction of this.

I think I will just give my spare lever I have to a friend of a friend who is a fabricator and just get the shaft cut down and died to fit the OEM gear lever over. I just want to 100% check I have not made a mistake and I need a later linkage and lever (if so you have got yourself a free lever and linkage to say thanks for your help lol)

Sweet, cheers mate :D
Excursion
Bulletin Board User
Bulletin Board User

Postby SiST on Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:24 pm

07/04/11
Right I think its about time for an update. Lots going on - none of which very interesting though

Firstly no actual work has happened to the car since my last update as there is not really anything I can do myself now - all requires either professional help or an engine. The 2.0 duratec and IB5 engine have sold now so I have a bit more funds to play with.

On the engine front, I have slightly changed plans on the cylinder head front as I had bought a brand new head and cams and was going to port that head and keep the stock cams. After seeing carmine's ported head and cosworth 200 spec cams up for sale, I have made an agreement to trade my stock one in for his, money has traded hands and my engine builder should have that very shortly. Also the short block is pretty much built now - yay! All the accileries and most misc engine parts have been sent to the engine builder now - I can only imagine the mess that is currently in his garage lol I have ordered a 6-paddle helix clutch from JamSport which will be with him soon as well and have contacted TTV about one of there lightened flywheel. I hope there flywheels are better than there customer service as you would be forgiven for thinking they dont want to sell stuff to you. All my bits which were on back order from cosworth have now come apart from the front crank seal so hopefully shouldn't be much stopping the build soon. If anyone knows the size and length of the bolts used on the ST engine, please can you PM me as I want to order some anodized bolts and forgot to measure them off the original engine (doh) I will get some pics up as soon as I have them

Electronics wise I decided to get the innovate LC1 from the US so that is currently in the post to me at the moment. I have decided to use Defi BF linked gauges which black out when the car is off - sad but I love them! I have the boost gauge already but need to buy the oil pressure, EGT and water temp gauge and the control unit at some point. Also Jam0r came to mine for some stock parts and in exchange has given me his scan gauge which will be good.

There have also been lots of small misc bits bought. I am in the process of getting all the aeroquip pipes for the oil cooler and have found a great shop on ebay - Torques UK. A lot cheaper than earls etc and great quality parts. I am getting black fittings and pipes and my oil cooler will be sprayed at the weekend. Lastly I have swapped my pedal from a crappy fiesta MK6 one to a ST170 which looks much better and should be a lot easier to bracket onto the ST.

Si
SiST
Poster
Poster

Postby SiST on Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:29 pm

Also I accidently put my hand in my pocket again today (really should stop doing that!!) Wasn't really gonna get one of these but they do look cool and I will only want one when the car is done. Bought it off ebay today so should hopefully be with me this week

On the engine front, something I have wanted to see for a long time now!

Crank and oil pump bolted in place:

Bottom end finished:

Oil pump chain etc also fitted:

:)
SiST
Poster
Poster

PreviousNext

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.