FAQ: Hesitating Zetec

Please check here before posting to see if your question has been answered before.

FAQ: Hesitating Zetec

Postby Rebok on Sat Jul 17, 2004 1:17 am

Had my si since Feb 2004 & never hesitated but 4 the past 3 months its started 2 do it, had my ht leads replaced & its still does it & it always does it @ 3000revs no matter what gear I'm in apart from when I'm in 1st gear doesn't do it much @ all, would n e 1 know what it could b thats doing this? I woz thinking bout changing my spark plugs 2 c if it would help (as I dunno when they were last changed) & I've also thought bout putting it on a diagnostic (spelling if its wrong) stick 2 c what my ecu is doing, its doing my head in I'll do 80mph or 90mph @ times & its pulls back a little & then goes again, its strange as my mechanic has said he's not found n e probs with it when the problem is still there. If n e 1 could help me or advise me on this problem would b most appreciated. Thanx people.

Rebok

Added to the FAQ section - answer below - Proj
Rebok
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Postby dodger522 on Sat Jul 17, 2004 1:08 pm

uuuuuuuuuum wild gues here as im board but cd be ur clutch
u got knocked the f**k out!!!!!!!!!
dodger522
Poster
Poster

Postby Rebok on Sun Jul 18, 2004 12:13 am

can n e 1 else think of n e thing it could b? plz help me as I'm fed up of it hestitating & need 2 think of what it could b so I can out rule things, would b most appreciated thanx.

:)
Rebok
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

hesitating

Postby gibbsy on Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:48 pm

the coil pack and leads are a nightmare for making it hesitant, changed loads at work on cars with the same symtoms.
gibbsy
Poster
Poster

Postby krsi on Wed Jul 21, 2004 2:19 pm

My Si did the exact same thing and after time it got even worse and started mis-firing and was really un-drivable. I had a diagnostics test which showed all to be OK. I changed my HT leads, Plugs, Fuel filter, Coil pack which didn't help.

I definately think its your MAF sensor mate.
krsi
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby scotty_boy on Wed Jul 21, 2004 5:30 pm

had this on my car. eventually it went away. dunno what was wrong, it did it around the same rpm as yours is doing. i changed, leads and plugs which didnt help. it was like it was under fuelling, but it wasnt.

:P that was of no use to you i'm sure, but just saying it seems to be a common problem.
scotty_boy
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby F.U.K FESTA on Fri Jul 23, 2004 3:31 am

my astra does the same, on some astra forums ive been on they have replied and sed its usually the throttle bodies. wack some carb cleaner down there and it might fix the problem. If its a bit up and down on the revs wen idling it cud be the ICV (idle air control valve) needs cleanin.
if it aint that god knows.
F.U.K FESTA
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby krsi on Fri Jul 23, 2004 10:20 am

MAF sensor. i think it was Paul C who had the same problem. In my experience they go wrong after a while. Do u have an induction kit? Sometimes the oils from aftermarket air filters can contanimate the hot wires in the MAF sensor.
krsi
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Fiestasi-Andy on Fri Jul 23, 2004 10:36 am

Your right.

My piper x did this crap was getting on the MAF probes, & fooking it up. So i just cleaned & now runs fine.
My Bad!

Sorry
Fiestasi-Andy
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby krsi on Fri Jul 23, 2004 12:41 pm

Yeah but MAF sensors are sensitive to cleaners like carb cleaner and mine fooked up completely after a few times of cleaning it :oooh:

Its best to buy a brand new 1 from fords, but i was lucky when i bought 1 second hand off the for sale section on this site. Just dont know how long its gonna last.
krsi
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Ghia Boyo on Fri Jul 23, 2004 2:55 pm

I currently have this problem as well. If i take of the air flow plug thing (is this the MAF you talk about?) then the "hesitation" etc. disappears. How would i go about replacing/cleaning this? Is the car likely to have any problems with it disconnected, as it seems to drive well without it. Is fuel economy for example affected or...?? Any help would be most appreciated! Cheers.
Ghia Boyo
Poster
Poster

Postby krsi on Fri Jul 23, 2004 3:12 pm

It wont read the value of the air it is sucking in so it should run on default settings although my Si ran like cr@p even when it was unplugged which made me think it wasn't it at first. http://www.fordpartsuk.com should be able to sort you out with a new one - They provide a good service.

I wouldn't recommend cleaning it as it will fook up anyway. Best to buy a new one so it can run properly otherwise you'll find it sluggish sometimes and fuel economy will more than likely also be affected if you don't.

They are dead easy to change, if you have an airbox its only held on by the clips to the airbox and i think a jubilee clip at the other.
krsi
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby bellboyh on Fri Jul 23, 2004 10:40 pm

had same problem on my 2i clean the air valve in petrol for about a day then dry off. start the car up with the valve plugged in then take it off. rev the car to 2000 rpm for about 5 mins this will then reset the engine management. plug valve back in.The car will now idle at 1000rpm. I also changed the fuel filter stopped my car juddering hope this helps. :wink:
bellboyh
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Postby Ghia Boyo on Mon Jul 26, 2004 3:07 pm

when i have the sensor disconected, it doesnt hesitate, but the revs are up and down at idle, seems more likely to stall. Will go about changing it. Cheers for the info guys.

Mark.
Ghia Boyo
Poster
Poster

Postby PaulC on Mon Jul 26, 2004 3:21 pm

The symptoms of a dirty MAF sensor is the engine running like a 1.0 :lol:

Engine will idle fine, but wont pull like it should and will be really hesitant. Have just cleaned my new MAF sensor using a cloth with some thinners and it seems to be ok. Will probably get some compressed air on it sometime to clean it a bit better.
PaulC
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Ghia Boyo on Mon Jul 26, 2004 4:36 pm

Jus been down to the local ford parts place. Got a new MAF (2nd hand), fitted and all is restored a-ok. Seems although this is pretty common... btw my car has done 103K, and hadnt had a problem before until now.

Happy motoring people!
Ghia Boyo
Poster
Poster

Postby Rebok on Sat Jul 31, 2004 12:43 am

Thanx 4 all your help guys, I think I know what I'm going 2 do now, have the spark plugs replaced & also getta new maf sensor thing. U've been great in helping me out & its put my mind @ ease aswell, thanx again.

Rebok
Last edited by Rebok on Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rebok
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Postby krsi on Sat Jul 31, 2004 1:58 pm

Thats what were here for, to help each other out :)
krsi
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Rebok on Wed Aug 11, 2004 11:49 pm

For those that know me & also have replied to this post helping me out with my problem with my car, just 2 let u know that my car is all sorted out now :D I had the spark plugs replaced, my g-max suspension kit put on & also 2 new tyres as the tread wozn't legal but my MAF sensor woz fine & didn't need replacing. Not bad tho only cost me just under £200 4 the lot which I think is good, my mechanic is good & never over charges me 4 work I have done on my car. Plus the spark plugs were knackered big time as when my mechanic took them off they were the "ORIGINAL" ford 1's from when the car woz manufactured in 1995, shocking tho aswell as now my car has done 88,000 miles & NEVER been changed I'm well shocked bcoz my mechanic said b4 that not much work had been done on the car, its just annoys me why can't people keep a car maintained, its not that difficult just 2 do a few checks here & there etc...

:aviator:
Last edited by Rebok on Fri Aug 13, 2004 1:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rebok
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Postby krsi on Thu Aug 12, 2004 3:19 pm

Rebok wrote:shocking tho aswell as now my car has done 88,000 miles & NEVER been changed I'm well shocked

:aviator:

I like the pun :lol:
krsi
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby G DOB on Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:18 pm

hi my 1.6 16v si done this and i traced it back to being a faulty hego sensor took me ages to find the problem and im a ford mech
never done it in first gear but the rest was a nightmare around 3000rpm as u said. hopefully this will help you
Graemey
G DOB
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Postby Chris IOW on Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:26 pm

Where is the maf sensor located?? I have a Fiesta Zetec 1.25cc

Any help would be great as I think I may have the same problem.
Chris IOW
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Postby G DOB on Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:11 pm

right next to your air box mate
Graemey
G DOB
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Postby Chris IOW on Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:19 pm

Cheers Mate will check mine out later :)
Chris IOW
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Re: FAQ: Hesitating Zetec

Postby sebulba on Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:57 pm

Yeah I seem to have a bit of the same problem also with my 1,6 zetec sx-94 170k..
The car idles fine but it goes like an 1.0 and takes fuel like a 2,8 scorpio... I have cleaned the maf 1 time but it didn't help so much that I would have noticed a difference...
It would be nice to have a new one to try with, it's quite an expensive piece to buy for no help the maf I mean... I have replaced the spark plugs, wires, fuel filter, checked the fuel pressure that was really fine...

Has anyone had the cat jammed so that the junk is in the exhaust pipe?? My rear box was really rusty and all the crap was coming out... That time the car felt like an old 0,9l fiesta and it didn't rev over 4000..

Now the torque is quite nice to about 3000rpm and after that the engine seems to die, it is such a nightmare to drag the revs up to 5900rpm where the high-power should be, but there's nothing but screaming of the zetec engine and it does'nt accelerate at all and no matter how you drive the engine takes appr.
10-12l/100km... This situation sucks... and today the "wiper switch" nearly burnt the car down as it began to smoke so I had to break it in pieces and now I don't even have the repeaters.... And that is a real problem cause I can't find the "switch" in the whole Finland where I live because the switch has the horn in it as the steering wheel has the early airbag system... ok...
sebulba
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.