FAO SITE ADMIN

Comments, suggestions and questions about the site.

FAO SITE ADMIN

Postby 1-PD on Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:37 am

Re the For sale section on here,

can I ask whats the point of letting people start for sale adverts when they Dont include pictures or any specific details and simply post a link to ebay or just say they have stuff for sale and pm them, no way to run a site :( , even in the posting guidelines it says pictures and prices are a must :-?

such as

fiesta-rs-tubo-bits-for-sale-vt192735/

coilovers-gearboxes-blacktop-engine-more-ebay-vt192946/

zetec-turbo-parts-vt191955/

pectel-t2-ecu-and-loom-pedal-box-dry-sump-and-more-on-ebay-vt193028/

2x-t3-turbos-one-hybrid-one-erst-zetec-s-engine-box-vt193010/

breaking-xr2i-8-valve-vt192999/
1-PD
Poster
Poster

Your car: Orion & ST

Re: FAO SITE ADMIN

Postby Michael! on Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:08 pm

People do enforce it, being mods or forum users.

Pm one of the mods if youve found a problem with an add
Looking for other members? Add yourself to the ft.com members map!
ft-com-members-map-vt190192/
Michael!
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Your car: RS1800 Sleeper Project + 6N2

Postby 1-PD on Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:49 pm

the ones I posted links too is just on the first page :oooh:
1-PD
Poster
Poster

Postby Excursion on Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:26 pm

I don't understand the reasoning behind your complaint. It feels like a reprimand for the (voluntary) moderators to take responsibility for ensuring it is easy for private buyers to buy parts from private sellers.

My view is that if a buyer is interested in a part then it's their job to get in contact if they feel there aren't sufficient details in the ad; it's not the sellers job to spoon feed all details to the buyer. This will of course mean some vague averts are published, but in that case the buyer can walk away and its really only the seller who looses. I could understand the complaint if this was a business with paid staff, but it isn't, and too many enthusiast forums now have Nazi style enforcement of classifieds etc. which really detracts from a community site.

If the complaint is more around wasted bandwidth on the site then it raises the question of charging for classifieds. That may not be such a bad idea but is another discussion altogether.
Excursion
Bulletin Board User
Bulletin Board User
Your car: Ford Fiesta

Car: 1990 Ford Fiesta XR2i

Postby 1-PD on Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:14 pm

your missing the point when your looking for specific model parts and you click on a advert and it simply says breaking fiesta pm me for parts , whats the point in letting such lazy sellers even bother waisting space on a thread, no pics no details and in most cases no price seems a very slack way to let people abuse the forum, also letting folk with next to no posting count start for sale threads is also risky due to high levels in internet crime, if your happy to let rules slide then of course its your website and business
1-PD
Poster
Poster

Postby Excursion on Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:30 pm

1-PD wrote:your missing the point when your looking for specific model parts and you click on a advert and it simply says breaking fiesta pm me for parts , whats the point in letting such lazy sellers even bother waisting space on a thread, no pics no details and in most cases no price seems a very slack way to let people abuse the forum, also letting folk with next to no posting count start for sale threads is also risky due to high levels in internet crime, if your happy to let rules slide then of course its your website and business

It's back to my first point then: making the moderators take responsibility for ensuring a lazy seller makes a better advert so it becomes easier to buy parts. I would expect that on a business site or marketplace but this site isn't either and is free. A badly produced advert hardly constitutes abuse of a free forum, especially not when you can just use the search function to sort the wheat from the chaff, and I don't think its the responsibility of the forum to ensure a transaction is safe. Again that responsibility is the buyers. Caveat emptor.

I agree with you that even missing out a descriptive title is not on, but the links you posted all seemed OK to me.
Excursion
Bulletin Board User
Bulletin Board User

Postby - Danny Boy - on Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:40 pm

1-PD wrote:your missing the point when your looking for specific model parts and you click on a advert and it simply says breaking fiesta pm me for parts , whats the point in letting such lazy sellers even bother waisting space on a thread

If you are looking for specific parts you would ask the seller if they have the part, correct? 9 times out of 10 people list what car is is they are breaking. Like the one you linked to 'breaking xr2i 8 valve'

eBay links aren't bad at all, in fact, it is usually easier to follow them than a page full of waffle.

I don't see whats to complain about in all honesty.
- Danny Boy -
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Your car: Fiesta Si 2.0

Postby Turboboy67 on Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:58 pm

What gets me is when Under the sellers name it says their location, and along comes some plum and asks "where you located mate" :rolleyes: :lol: :lol:

But I agree with the first post in a way, The better you make your advert the more likely you are to sell stuff, but when a seller is breaking a car for example it would take hours to list all the parts for sale individually. Most of the time it is bone idleness with poor ads. though.

:D
Turboboy67
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: 911GT3 RS

Postby - Danny Boy - on Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:16 pm

Carbonboy67 wrote:What gets me is when Under the sellers name it says their location, and along comes some plum and asks "where you located mate" :rolleyes: :lol: :lol:

I love it when people do that, makes me want to punch them in the face due to their own stupidity! :lol:
- Danny Boy -
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Your car: Fiesta Si 2.0

Postby jayrs on Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:46 pm

1-PD wrote:Re the For sale section on here,

can I ask whats the point of letting people start for sale adverts when they Dont include pictures or any specific details and simply post a link to ebay or just say they have stuff for sale and pm them, no way to run a site :( , even in the posting guidelines it says pictures and prices are a must :-?

such as

fiesta-rs-tubo-bits-for-sale-vt192735/

coilovers-gearboxes-blacktop-engine-more-ebay-vt192946/

zetec-turbo-parts-vt191955/

pectel-t2-ecu-and-loom-pedal-box-dry-sump-and-more-on-ebay-vt193028/

2x-t3-turbos-one-hybrid-one-erst-zetec-s-engine-box-vt193010/

breaking-xr2i-8-valve-vt192999/

we try to keep on top of it as much as poss mate,

i spend a lot of time looking in the for sale and wanted room, and in some peoples eyes, prob 'over mod it', however, i do agree with some points, like pictures, i like to see whats for sale, but its not always poss, maybe the car hasn't been broken yet but the parts are listed, and in the sellers mind, if it sells it will be removed, if it don't, then it gets scrapped with the rest.
on the other hand, when you look in the paper or back of mags, pictures are not always there, but the buyer makes contact and arranges for pics to be emailed or a viewing to see whats what, but in the for sale threads here, when pictures are added, its better all round for everyone, but provided theres a list of parts, and theres prices, the seller has met the requirements of the selling rules.
Plus, the rules do not state a picture or pictures must be present on the thread

as for ebay links, they are allowed, it might be annoying to click on the thread to see just a link, but its just like a heads up to whats for sale, and if people don't know what its worth or are willing to take a chance, ebay is the best thing for them, as selling rules state you can not have "offers" when listing things for sale on the forum.

as far as the advert layout goes, that is down to the seller, they can provide as much or as little detail as they wish, again provided there is a item clearly stated for sale and it has a price next to it, they have fulfilled the requirements for the selling rules, HOWEVER, pictures do speak a thousand words and thats why i like to see what im buying, but again, we cant enforce people to add pictures, the finer details of the part, or parts for sale has to be worked out between the buyer and seller.

where threads are started with say, "fiesta breaking, pm me for details" this is in breech of the forum rules, and unless reported by a forum user (which gets flagged up to the mods) its left for us to find it on our own, and as its been said, as this is a purely voluntary position (being a mod) we cant be on here 24-7 as we do have life's outside the forum and things do get missed, hence the report button, next time you see something you feel isn't right, report it and one of the mods will look into it :)

i know the current set up may not be up to what people would like to see, but the for sale room is just a means to help people sell there unwanted items for free (unless they are a trader then fees apply), as the site makes no money what so ever from things bought and sold here

in response to the links you have posted.

the 1st one i already locked about half hour or so ago
the 2nd one is ok and within rules
the 3rd one is fine, and withing rules
the 4th one is again ok, and within the rules
the 5th one is ok also, and gives plenty of detail on the bits for sale
the 6th one i have responded too, but the seller added a list and price on a post lower down, so i will move that to the first post and pm the seller, but the fact hes now added a list and prices means he is within the forum rules also.

as i said though, if you or anyone else see anything you dont think is right report it please using the report button
jayrs
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: FRST, XR2, ST170, ST225

Car: 1991 Ford Fiesta RS Turbo

Postby 1-PD on Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:02 pm

dont get me wrong as I would not expect someone breaking a car to list every single item with a photo, but maybe a couple of shots of the car in question, when someone is new to the club as much detail as poss is a must due to fraud risks, just seems sellers on here are lazy

maybe its because Im moderator on another forum and admin on another so I used to stricter RSOC and Passionford rules
1-PD
Poster
Poster

Postby jayrs on Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:43 pm

i agree mate, as i said pictures are always best when things are for sale as they speak a thousand words, but its not enforced as a rule, and tbh, dont think it will be.

i don't use the RS owner club site much, well hardly anything now tbh as they wouldn't allow me to have a Hotmail address hence the main reason i don't use it, so im not sure what the terms are on there, and passionford, you have to be a gold member to sell stuff on there, i was for a few years but when it changed hands to some american company it went a bit off for me so never renewed my membership, but with passionford, as you pay for the privilege to be able to sell things, i would expect stricter rules on there
jayrs
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby 1-PD on Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:11 pm

fair comment Jay and I respect that , for me being a Group RS secretary I need to be active on the RSOC and PF etc as a matter of due course
1-PD
Poster
Poster

Postby AndyKam on Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:24 pm

As we are discussing 'for sale' posts it must be made compulsory to have a location in the users id when registering. There still alot that dont have them and also proper locations and not " in my car" as an example. If someone is saying collection only and they live in Newcastle then living in the west mids i will have no intention of travelling all that way for something. Unless of course it was something I really wanted but then thats up to me to decide before I take the transaction further. Hope that makes sense.

Just my thoughts :)
AndyKam
AndyKam
Post Master
Post Master
Your car: 1991 Red FRST

Postby lazcarrs on Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:16 pm

"No way to run a site"!!!! Bit harsh IMO

You could have sent Admin and mods a PM if you had such grave concerns of there running of this site instead of posting this, surely being a respected RSOC administrator, this would have been the most productive method?

Respect to Admin and the mods who work hard to make this site great.

PS any spare RSOC tax disc holders as ran out....
s1/silver harrier/FRST
lazcarrs
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Your car: fiesta RST/harrier/S1

Postby AndyKam on Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:25 pm

lazcarrs wrote:
PS any spare RSOC tax disc holders as ran out....

:)
AndyKam
AndyKam
Post Master
Post Master
Your car: 1991 Red FRST

Postby jayrs on Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:19 am

azcarrs cheers fella :)

andy, that would have to be taken up with ade mate.

i dont mind speaking to him about it and any other things that come of this thread, but as ya know, as the site owner hes the only one that can make these changes.

im moving this to the correct forum too guys, but will leave a shadow thread here in general :)
jayrs
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby 1-PD on Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:52 am

the amin reason the thread was posted in general as with my experience its get niticed and replied too far quicker, you would proberbly know that if you were a regular on massive forums lazzcars
1-PD
Poster
Poster

Postby andymac on Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:16 pm

Well thank-you for blithely ignoring the forum posting guidelines, then going on to moan about people ignoring the posting guidelines. I'm not certain if that's ironic or not, I'll wait for someone to confirm.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk. All opinions expressed are my own and bear no indication of the opinions of other members of this community, my company or my friends. If you don't like it, feel free to go suck a lemon.
Nothing to see here...
andymac
Elite Pie Master
Elite Pie Master

Your car: Your car: Your car: Your car:

Postby lazcarrs on Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:02 pm

1-PD wrote:the amin reason the thread was posted in general as with my experience its get niticed and replied too far quicker, you would proberbly know that if you were a regular on massive forums lazzcars

Lol I am a member of "other" forums as own other RS models and once was an RSOC member but as many others left due to ignorance of cetain individuals.

You Should be sorting your own issues, Example : The Rs16i forum on RSOC has now been shut down due to 1 RSOC abusing a fellow member. Nice. Look on "other" Forum posts* of how many peaple have been treated badly on your site and left. The list goes on. So dont come on our site thinking you can tell the mods how to run it when you have your own issues.....

Because i dont leave 500 posts a night while watching brokeback mountain,bidding on meerkats on ebay, does not make you anymore worthy than me of leaving negative comments on other sites.

You should also use spell check - being a administrator...

*PM for details and i will provide links
s1/silver harrier/FRST
lazcarrs
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Your car: fiesta RST/harrier/S1

Postby Excursion on Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:17 pm

lazcarrs wrote:Lol I am a member of "other" forums as own other RS models and once was an RSOC member but as many others left due to ignorance of cetain individuals.

I would tend to avoid those sites too (although I have posted a few times on the Mk1 FRS section of RSOC and the members were helpful), but your grievances are probably best kept to private messages ;)
Excursion
Bulletin Board User
Bulletin Board User

Postby Fraggle on Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:47 am

:Q
jayrs wrote:
1-PD wrote:

we try to keep on top of it as much as poss mate,

i spend a lot of time looking in the for sale and wanted room, and in some peoples eyes, prob 'over mod it', however, i do agree with some points, like pictures, i like to see whats for sale, but its not always poss, maybe the car hasn't been broken yet but the parts are listed, and in the sellers mind, if it sells it will be removed, if it don't, then it gets scrapped with the rest.
on the other hand, when you look in the paper or back of mags, pictures are not always there, but the buyer makes contact and arranges for pics to be emailed or a viewing to see whats what, but in the for sale threads here, when pictures are added, its better all round for everyone, but provided theres a list of parts, and theres prices, the seller has met the requirements of the selling rules.
Plus, the rules do not state a picture or pictures must be present on the thread

as for ebay links, they are allowed, it might be annoying to click on the thread to see just a link, but its just like a heads up to whats for sale, and if people don't know what its worth or are willing to take a chance, ebay is the best thing for them, as selling rules state you can not have "offers" when listing things for sale on the forum.

as far as the advert layout goes, that is down to the seller, they can provide as much or as little detail as they wish, again provided there is a item clearly stated for sale and it has a price next to it, they have fulfilled the requirements for the selling rules, HOWEVER, pictures do speak a thousand words and thats why i like to see what im buying, but again, we cant enforce people to add pictures, the finer details of the part, or parts for sale has to be worked out between the buyer and seller.

where threads are started with say, "fiesta breaking, pm me for details" this is in breech of the forum rules, and unless reported by a forum user (which gets flagged up to the mods) its left for us to find it on our own, and as its been said, as this is a purely voluntary position (being a mod) we cant be on here 24-7 as we do have life's outside the forum and things do get missed, hence the report button, next time you see something you feel isn't right, report it and one of the mods will look into it :)

i know the current set up may not be up to what people would like to see, but the for sale room is just a means to help people sell there unwanted items for free (unless they are a trader then fees apply), as the site makes no money what so ever from things bought and sold here

in response to the links you have posted.

the 1st one i already locked about half hour or so ago
the 2nd one is ok and within rules
the 3rd one is fine, and withing rules
the 4th one is again ok, and within the rules
the 5th one is ok also, and gives plenty of detail on the bits for sale
the 6th one i have responded too, but the seller added a list and price on a post lower down, so i will move that to the first post and pm the seller, but the fact hes now added a list and prices means he is within the forum rules also.

as i said though, if you or anyone else see anything you dont think is right report it please using the report button

f**k a frenchman Mr jay you not got much on telly at home tonight :-? :o

I bet your eyes are streeming an burning after typing that lot :lol: :aaah:

Top staffing marks though boss :Q :Q
Fraggle
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Your car: FRST IN BADBOY WHITE

Postby jayrs on Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:35 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

missis was prob watching some crap :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol:

i do excel my self sometimes, it will take a fortnight to get over it now :bonkers: :bonkers: :lol: :lol: :lol:
jayrs
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby ~nomad~ on Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:58 am

If we moderated with the overzealous zeal of the RSOC or Passionprick, I would not want to be a moderator.
:2004 Merc Vito: - :1983 Nissan Datsun 280zx: - :1992 GT Pro Series: - :2012 Mondraker Dune R:
~nomad~
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: Breadvan

Postby jayrs on Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:39 am

passionprick :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
jayrs
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.