bike carb setup: breakdown

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

bike carb setup: breakdown

Postby jonyb4 on Sun May 27, 2012 4:02 am

ok, im planning on going the bike carb route in a few months

but i keep getting confused with certain pieces

Management:

ive picked up the idea that if you go for bike carbs such as the GSX-r 600 setup, you can retain the standard ecu, and adapt the loom to fit the carbs TPS

am i right in saying that?

Manifold:

simple case of cutting up an old manifold and using joiners and clips to join the carbs to it, if needed blank off injector holes?

again right?

Vacuum:

bit vague on this topic, theres plenty of them,
crank case what to do with that?
brake servo vacuum? again blank spot

Fuel pump: think i have my head around this part, use a regulator/specified reducer
or use a select bike pump, eg R1

no return needed, blank off

Throttle linkage: what to do here? can you simply make a bracket so the standard cable can connect to the carb linkage fine?

Air filter: ive seen so many missing one, weather a single long unit or individual cones, some dont bother, cant be the safest right?

Correct amount of fueling: carbs deliever the right amount of fuel as per amount of air drawn through the venturi via vaccum effect, but what of the jets? how do i know weather the carbs are delivering enough or too much fuel for my 1.8 130 spec zetec?

think thats all the gray areas

oh also, i believe GSXR 600 carbs are 38mm, im lead to believe thats bang on for a 1.8, i know 40s would be fine but can anyone confirm?

if not which cc bike would be best??

Cheers!
1800 Zetec 133bhp 140lbs/ft
mk2 pop 1.4i
jonyb4
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Your car: Si 1.8, mk2 950, 2.0 capri

Car: 1995 Ford Fiesta Si 16v

Re: bike carb setup: breakdown

Postby will121 on Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:04 pm

I have bike carbs on a CVH and was going to fit to my 2litre zetec before opting for throttle bodies my opinions are

Management:

ive picked up the idea that if you go for bike carbs such as the GSX-r 600 setup, you can retain the standard ecu, and adapt the loom to fit the carbs TPS

am i right in saying that?

not sure if standard ECU will work with carbs as you will be removing the MAF input, correct TPS as different resistance profile and possible lamba sensor. best option ignition only ecu like megajolt.

Manifold:

simple case of cutting up an old manifold and using joiners and clips to join the carbs to it, if needed blank off injector holes?

again right?

I would make a new manifold from a lazer cut blank plate direct to head, will also gain extra space which will be required for filter some info here http://www.fiesta-si.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=17588

Vacuum:

bit vague on this topic, theres plenty of them,
crank case what to do with that?

into separate catch tank

brake servo vacuum? again blank spot

make new connections on manifold

Fuel pump: think i have my head around this part, use a regulator/specified reducer
or use a select bike pump, eg R1

use a matching fuel pump from bike carbs came off no need for a regulator then

no return needed, blank off

correct

Throttle linkage: what to do here? can you simply make a bracket so the standard cable can connect to the carb linkage fine?

modify existing cable and carb connection

Air filter: ive seen so many missing one, weather a single long unit or individual cones, some dont bother, cant be the safest right?

a blank plate and sausage filter

Correct amount of fueling: carbs deliever the right amount of fuel as per amount of air drawn through the venturi via vaccum effect, but what of the jets? how do i know weather the carbs are delivering enough or too much fuel for my 1.8 130 spec zetec?

carbs will need rejetting to match zetec possible enlarge to 1.6-1.8mm, you will need to check with lamba gauge to confirm correct jetting

oh also, i believe GSXR 600 carbs are 38mm, im lead to believe thats bang on for a 1.8, i know 40s would be fine but can anyone confirm?

if not which cc bike would be best??

general 38mm-40mm carbs be fine zxr6 and zxr9 carbs a poplar choice for zetec's

hope it helps

Hope it helps
will121
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Postby jonyb4 on Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:00 am

cheers mate!
mk2 pop 1.4i
jonyb4
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby AW0L on Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:41 pm

to help give you idea of how to assemble with st170 inlet

http://www.sportingfords.com/forums/vie ... 60attached

i have followed this guide and am nearly finished on the fab work, i bought a DIY PNP eeciv kit from diyautotune that i will use to run it at some point
I’d rather lose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me. Your car, is your story, so don’t let someone else write the book. – MOOG (Mighty Car Mods)
AW0L
Post Master
Post Master

Your car: ford fiesta 1.8 xr2i

Postby filtra on Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:25 am

Is there any particular reason why you are using carbs rather than injectors?
Ex Fiesta RS Turbo owner :(
filtra
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Car: 1991 Ford Fiesta RS Turbo

Postby jonyb4 on Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:44 pm

well i understand bike carbs are simpler to fit, you can maintain the original ecu (not that its best choice) making it cheaper as you dont need to buy a megasquirt or other
mk2 pop 1.4i
jonyb4
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby andymac on Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:14 pm

TBH mate, I'd do it back to front to how you're describing it; get the ecu first; I know it's expensive, but you're setting yourself up for the future in one go and will let you make the best out of what you have now. :)
Nothing to see here...
andymac
Elite Pie Master
Elite Pie Master

Your car: Your car: Your car: Your car:

Postby jonyb4 on Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:21 am

a fine point, that ecu is good for turboing, TBs or just as a mappable upgrade to mine... ill consider this

thanks
mk2 pop 1.4i
jonyb4
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby andymac on Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:03 pm

np dude, I'm doing it this way around because it means I can build up to a final spec and reap the rewards of all the changes as I go along. I was going to do it all piecemeal (to a degree I still am) but looks like fortune has dictated I'm going to inherit one, perhaps two complete cars (one a turbo, one a 1.8 VVc), so I'll drop the engine and box out of the turbo and rebuild both in my own time. I'll have a ready supply of panels and spares for years to come as well then too. I'll still do the ECU first though, get it mapped to the standard engine then once all the work's been done, remap to suit.

Clutch decision is the hardest bit of the whole lot; fast road organic, kevlar or paddle.
Nothing to see here...
andymac
Elite Pie Master
Elite Pie Master

Postby - Danny Boy - on Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:23 pm

You'll be better off using a throttle body setup, it's easier to set up with the original sensors ect.

If you need some help or advice, phone Graham at Chester Sports Cars. I always used to phone him up for random info when we used to put alpha webber setups on blacktop engines in kit cars. Him and his son are very knowledgeable in it all and will happily give you info on everything you want to know. They will be at ford fair too as usual, so pop over and speak to them on the day :)
- Danny Boy -
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Your car: Fiesta Si 2.0

Postby jonyb4 on Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:06 pm

bang on danny, im always having a proper nose and taking dozens of pics of they're work at shows, think ill actually say something the next show :P

theyre blue mk1 mexico is a work of art

sounds very good andy, which model you refering to know?
mk2 pop 1.4i
jonyb4
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby andymac on Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:47 pm

I only own one car these days mate :lol:

I'll be megasquirting or getting a ready built solution from boostmonkeys tbh, then going from there. I have a 4k shopping list atm and that doesn't even include a new turbo... :lol:
Nothing to see here...
andymac
Elite Pie Master
Elite Pie Master

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.