B reg fiesta *For sale Oct 17*

Post pics of your Fiesta here.

Re: Project B reg fiesta :* fuel & water pipes done *

Postby jayrs on Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:29 pm

yeah i would be mate.
i have a set of rear belts with catches from a blue xr i stripped, but at some point before i got it a car battery had leaked on the rear seat as the smell of battery acid/water when i lifted the rear seats was strong, and although the belts may well be ok after havinf this on them, the people in the back are likly to be my kids so refuse to use the belts ya know.
jayrs
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: FRST, XR2, ST170, ST225

Car: 1991 Ford Fiesta RS Turbo

Postby black2 on Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:55 am

Yeah mate no worries i will remove them some time and get them posted off to you. :)

Gareth.

The return to standard, from the above sig pics - back to how Ford intended..............
and-so-it-begins-update-24-02-08-vt162934/
black2
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby black2 on Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:56 am

Today i got the fuel pump bolted in and sorted. I have mounted the pump behind the drivers side rear seats and fixed in through the vertical peice of the floor as seen in the pics below. To wire it up i utalised the fact that my car had no rear seat belts from the factory and ran the wires through a plastic gromet where the seat belt bolts would normally be.

I also removed the dash and fed my SI loom into the engine bay from inside the car.

I did this by utalising the large rubber gromet on the bulk head inside the engine bay. I removed the dash and drilled a large hole leading to the bay and then fed my loom in because my ECU is going to be mounted in the glove box. It has worked peferct - to prevent water from entering the car i have used some sealent and a rubber grommets and all seems to be well.

Heres the pics from today:

Fuel pump mounted

Loom fed through from inside the car

Dash out to drill hole

XR2 dash ready to go in

Bolts holding pump in place and wires feeding the fuel pump.

Gareth.

The return to standard, from the above sig pics - back to how Ford intended..............
black2
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby jayrs on Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:25 pm

coming along nicly mate, i cant wait to get the rs sorted to crack on with the xr :Q

better let me know how munt for them belts too mate :lol:
jayrs
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby black2 on Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:22 pm

Well im back at work now so it means i only have the evenings to work on the car :roll: .

This evening was frustrating. I am fitting an xr2 dash into my car and tonight i have been wiring in the new heater controlls and the two bulbs which go with it. I intended to follow the guide from Jasons website but struck a problem early on. The guide utalises the low spec connector but mine never had this conector so i had to wire the high spec heater controls in to my low spec wires - if you follow me. It took ages and frustrated me! :roll:

The only other thing i have done this evening is finish the my pipes to the fuel pump as i was waiting on some 8mm petrol pipe which arrived today, so that now is complete.

Tomorrow night i intend on finally fitting my xr2 dash in and then the last thing to do will be to fit my si throttle cable and wire in the engine loom plug - fit a relay to the fule pump along with inertia switch and then that leaves the exhaust to do, which incodently arrived today.

Its now slow progress but i am getting there! Fingers crossed it wont be "too" much longer now till its done.

Gareth.

black2
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby jayrs on Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:19 pm

sounds like its coming along nicly mate
jayrs
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby black2 on Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:38 am

Well im stumpped with the wiring. Below is the wires and colours from the SI car loom plug which connects to the engine loom. This is how i have to wire mine up and it should be quite simply but im head scratching at the mo.

1=brown=earth to body
2=green=rev counter
3=brown=fuel pump relay earth
4=black=4amp ignition live
5=black/red..to..black/green=iscv
6=red=ecu power from battery or fuse box
7=brown/green=not used
8=black/green=iscv ignition live
9=brown/white=temp guage
10=blank
11=blank
12=brown=not used

Ok i can wire in number 1,2 & 9 but the rest im stuck. Firstly where do i wire number 4? I know it says 4amp ignition live but where do i find that on my Fiesta? (1985 1.1)

Secondly what relay can i use for the fuel pump? Does anyone know which one is the fuel pump relay in the fiesta si fuse box? I have the fuse box but i dont know which relay does what and i have no way of finding out.

Numbers 5 & 8 go to the idle speed control valve but again how do i go about connecting them in? Do i snip the wires which currently go to the ISCV or some how splice number 5 & 8 in with the existing two wires going to it?

I think thats it for now if anyone can help i am very very gratefull im close to the end now but i knew the wiring would be the hard part and its got me confused.

Gareth.

black2
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby jayrs on Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:53 am

this was givent to me a while ago, it should help if not let me know and were sort it out later when i get in from work

jayrs
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby black2 on Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:02 am

Is that using a mk3.5 si loom?

From what i understand using the si loom is very easy. You have to wire in a relay and inertia switch for the pump and the rest is the wires from the 12 pin plug - i know some on xr2.com have wired them in like this and they are working perfect. Me and wiring just dont mix :rolleyes:

Gareth.

black2
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby jayrs on Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:14 pm

i think so mate, ill see if the pm it came in is still in my in box on xrtwo.com
jayrs
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby jayrs on Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:18 pm

cant find it mate, but i did find the page i was looking for but your replying to it with the question you asked here :lol:
jayrs
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby black2 on Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:07 pm

Ok im into the wiring now :rolleyes:

I now have ignition to the cabin etc . Any way i have wired in the fuel pump relay but i dont think ive done it right. It works because when i turn the key to position two the fuel pump buzzes away - so it defo working but heres how ive done it. Note im using an si loom so these numbers correspond with the si plug. I have pin 3 from the plug (fuel pump relay earth) going to terminal 85 on the relay. I have my switched ignition live (comes live when the key is at position two) going to terminal 86 of the relay. In then have the fuel pump feed coming from the wire which goes to terminal 86. I dont have a perm live going to the relay - and at the mo i cant get my interia switch to work either (i cant work this out at a later date-just want to get it running for now). But as ive said this wiring method is allowing the pump to work, but somehow i think its wrong?

Could anyone clarify this for me.? :-?

Gareth.

black2
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Re: Project B reg fiesta :* In to the wiring *

Postby MK4 Rick on Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:53 pm

i left a guide in the faqs section on injection systems being added to non injection cars.ive used it and it works have a look
MK4 Rick
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Your car: Mk5 Fiesta

Postby black2 on Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:15 pm

Small update but no pics. Saturday i done the gear linkage. Not a straight foward job im afraid due to the fact that my mk2 is an early one and uses the "winged" type gear linkage. This bolts to the floor of the car suing 4 bolts. The 5 speed linkage im using was from a 86 xr2 and has a totally different method of fixing the linkage to the car. The 4 bolts now come up in side the car and are tightened from inside. My floor pan never had these holes so i had to drill them my self. Its all in now but it was something that i was not expecting. :rolleyes:

Sunday was a non event due to me getting bladdered on Sat night and as a reault was hung over all day Sunday. :( :oooh:

Last night i towed the car to my parents House because they have a pit in the Garage so it means the exhaust will be a peice of piss and so will connecting the linkage to the selector rod. :Q

I will be trying to start the old girl up tonight so fingers crossed.

More updates soon.

Gareth.

black2
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby black2 on Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:42 pm

Small update.

Last night i connected up my gear linkage - and its all working fine the gears are all easily selcted and its nice now to have 5th gear - could never get that one before, lol :lol:

Also bolted up the exhaust and im particulary proud of this. I have used the 4 branch manifold which goes in to two pipes. I then bought a standard xr2 exhaust but this finished with just one pipe. So i had to cut the top part of the fiesta si exhaust off as this had the two pipes to connect to the manifold and then fed into one. So i bolted this to the end of the mani pipe then had to cut about 7 inches off of the XR2 exhaust put it all together and it looks like a factory exhaust. im well chuffed with that. :D Will get some pics up soon.

I also managed to modify the throttle pedal last night as well. Because im using the fiesta si cable, when you fit it all in, the butterfly in the TB stays slightly open, this is because the throttle pedal stay needs bending back slightly to allow the cable to retract more. I had to remove the pedal - bend the stay back a bit re - fit it and now its perfect. :D

Tonight i intend to wire up the last few wires from the si plug wack some fuel in and try and start the old girl!

Gareth.

black2
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby jayrs on Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:45 pm

sounds like its all going to plan mate.
as for the pedal, why not adjust the cable? or was there not enough adjustment on it?

once shes running mare knock ya own guid up for how you done the wiring, seems to be some confusion with the wiring diagrames ive seen
jayrs
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby black2 on Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:54 pm

Yeah not enough adjustment left on it, or didnt seem to be.

I think i will do a bit of a guide thing, thats why ive taken so many photos etc of what ive been doing to it each evening. Need to get it running first though lol. :lol:

Oh heres tonights update as well. :)

Not done a lot tonight - not feeling so great.

Fitted my spark plugs and leads, done some bolt checking around the engine for tightness etc. Then put the carpets back in the passenger footwell and cleaned up the dash a bit.

Thats really all ive done tonight. heres some recent pics though.

under the car:

Gareth.

black2
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Re: Project B reg fiesta :* update with pics *

Postby jayrs on Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:57 pm

nice mate, but are you not gunna paint that tank? under seal or something? anything to protect it
jayrs
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby black2 on Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:56 am

jayrs wrote:nice mate, but are you not gunna paint that tank? under seal or something? anything to protect it

Yep going to paint it Black. prob use Hamerite so hopefully that will stop it corroding.

Gareth.

black2
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby filtra on Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:14 am

Nice! Is that an XR2 system from where it goes 2 to 1? Will it flow enough for the 2l?
Ex Fiesta RS Turbo owner :(
filtra
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby black2 on Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:20 pm

Feersum_Enjin wrote:Nice! Is that an XR2 system from where it goes 2 to 1? Will it flow enough for the 2l?

Tis indeed just a standard xr2 exhaust. The dia. of it is slightly smaller than those twin pipes but i hope it will be ok. If it turns out to be really restrictive i will have to change it for a scorpion one or something.

Gareth

black2
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Sphinx on Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:56 pm

Good work :) and yes it was me that posted the coolant pipes pic up, not Jay :P
What's going on with that backbox hanger? why are there 2? lol
Also, those fuel lines look a bit close the exhaust imo :-?
You can use my car when you prise the keys out of my cold dead hands
Sphinx
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby jayrs on Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:44 pm

a few people use the standard xr2 on there 2 litres so im told on xrtwo.com.
a nice stainless one would be better.
jayrs
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby black2 on Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:47 am

Well small update. Its transpired that the fuel pump i had before as seen above is no good as its only low pressure - 4psi output.

Thats gone now, and replaced with a sierra one. The pump has also been moved as my Dad concluded that it was to close to the exhaust - hes now made a proper bracket/box to encase it a bit simular to what ford done on the sierra xr4x4's.

So yesterday i wired up the last of the wires from the si car loom plug - sorted out my bottom hose and that was it. Just waiting to try and start now.

Gareth.

black2
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby jayrs on Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:00 pm

get out there and fire her up :)
jayrs
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby JamieFRST on Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:03 pm

Haven't checked this thread for awhile, thats coming along nicely :)
JamieFRST
Keep It Tidy
Keep It Tidy

Postby MENACE on Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:21 pm

loving the progress on this car.go get it fired up now mate :D :D :D
MENACE
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Re: Project B reg fiesta :* Its alive *

Postby black2 on Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:32 pm

Well the car is now alive! :D :) :shock: Its running. We finished the fuel pump yesterday - wacked some fuel in and fired her up, and it started straight away!. Pleased to say there is no nasty knocks or bangs from the engine and also no oil / blue smoke either. 8)

One of the tappets was noisy to start with but after 5 or so mins this cleared away and it sound smoother than smooth now. It revs up fine etc.

Only prob we had was there must have been an air lock in the coolent and i gave it a good blip on throttle and blew a hole in the raditor! It was an old rad though so now i have to get another one.

All thats left now is to wire up my fan, rev counter and temp gauge and its all finished. Just got to put interior back in - tidy up wiring in the engine bay etc then its finished.

Im well chuffed & cant wait to go for a drive in her. :wink:

Gareth.

black2
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby jayrs on Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:58 am

nice one mate, new rad wouldnt be too much i wouldnt of though
jayrs
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby black2 on Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:58 pm

Well guys the car is finished. :D

Not yet driven her but it works. I have oil pressure light now, alt light - temp gauge and rev counter along with the rad fan so its all perfect.

Interior is back in etc the car is ready to roll. However there are two problems :( one is that it wont idel when it comes off choke but i can get round this at the mo by adjusting the screw on the TB. I think its because i am still using the 1600 zetec SI TPS and i know i should be using the 2.0 Mondeo TPs - i will be fitting this soon along with the 2.0 mondeo TB.

The other problem is i have no hot air blowing in the car - not sure why - i either have an air lock or because i fitted a high spec dash now the linkages arnt quite right for the new dash but i think their fine so hopefully its just an air lock.

The water pump and alt are all connected and up and running now as well. Just a note - you can not use the mondeo alt as its too big - it fits in there but you wont have enough room to tension the belt because the alt hits the front cross member before you've got enough tension on the belt. Also the 1100cc alt wont work because it relies on a top tension style bracket and the CVH mount i had is underhang tension type. In the end i used an xr2i alt as i has one lying around.

There is also some confusion regaurding the the temp gauge. Some things i ve read say you need to fit a copper washer at the bottom of the sender and soilder a wire on to this & then earth it? (because the thermo housing is plastic) but all i done was leave the orignal SI temp sender in place with the plug then i ran my wire from the SI car loom plug to my 1100cc earth wire and it works perfect - the fan cuts in and out lovly. To get the fan to work i used an escort mk5 top hose as they have the hole for a fan switch in them. I then fitted the fiesta si fan switch in the top hose and connected the wires into my old 1100cc switch wires again this works perfect.

I will get pics of all the wiring i have done because i found there are loads of wiring guides etc and information but no "real world" pics of how people have done it so i will get these soon.

I also ended up wiring my fuel pump relay into a switch on the dash because my earth wire from the ECU - for what ever reason would not trip the relay in - again i will get pics of what i have done as it works fine.

Wil get pics up soon - despite the two problems im well chuffed just cant wait to go out in her tomorrow and feel what she drives like.

PICs and update then,

Gareth.

black2
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby jayrs on Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:49 pm

nice one mate glade to hear its sorted.
the 2 problems dont sound anything major, if after bleeding the water system you still have no hot air check the linkage is opening and closing the flap inside the air box
jayrs
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby black2 on Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:05 pm

Right then the car is done & on the road.

Had some problems yesterday - put fuel in it and instantly noticed a strong smell of fuel in the car. It transpired that the rubber seal which fits in the tank where the fuel filler pipe goes through was the wrong size and not forming a tight seal. Dont know why i didnt notice this at the time, but it resulted in me removing the tank again yesterday to fit the correct size seal! Never mind its fine now,.

Only other issue i have is the clutch fork mechanisim in the gear box is really tight and its my own fault. I steam cleaned the box out and nver re-greased the clutch fork mechanisim :( :rolleyes: so its gone real tight only when the box is warm when its cold its fine. This does mean i will have to whip the box off to do this but i will do it when i have a spare weekend.

The car drives perfect and my god does it shift. Its not as fast in 2nd & 3rd as my FRST was in its prime (200bhp) but 4th & 5th are leathal, the numbers on the speedo just flash by :o in the higher gears - really quick!

So i have some odds and sods to do but predominatly the conversion is done. Took its time but now its finished. really pleased with the end result. Just want to fit a HO mani and the mondeo 2.0 TB and that should liven things up further.

Great fun now, and i strongly recomend the conversion to others.

Pics and updates to follow,

Gareth. :D :)

black2
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby jayrs on Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:55 pm

if the clutch fork is stiff it could be the nylon bush in the top, depending on what year box it is this can be changed without removing the box, basicly if the fork is fixed on vbia spines and a pinch bolt your be ok.

or, it could be the clutch bearing, which im guessing your thinking too yeah
jayrs
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby jayrs on Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:33 pm

pm'ed you mate about a poss 130 spec inlet (which is the HO ones)
jayrs
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby black2 on Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:43 pm

cheers jay pm'd ya back. :wink:

Gareth.

black2
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

PreviousNext

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.