Anyone replaced universal joint?

Problem or technical question?

Anyone replaced universal joint?

Postby Farooq on Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:54 am

Looking to get mine replaced are they easy to replace i have use of a ramp and are pattern joints ok has anyone had experirnece wit using them
Farooq
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby ADIMK3 on Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:04 pm

Hi,

I just wanted to ask you the simptomps leading to the replacement of the UJ.I have a problem with my steering and wanted to know if the UJ is to be blamed.In fact, if I turn the steering wheel a bit and I release it a knock sound is to be heard somewhere near or in the steering.Any ideea?

Thank you

Adrian
ADIMK3
Poster
Poster

Postby hb69 on Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:41 pm

i replaced mine about a year ago with a pattern part, as the steering had far too much play in it. its an easy job to do seeing as you have access to ramps. the uj cost me just over a tenner i think.
hb69
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: Fiesta 1.1 LX

Postby Farooq on Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:25 pm

so pattern ones are ok the symptoms are that if you turn the steering wheel a little towards the left and rights its like look then you feel the wheel starting to turn its abrand new rack and rod ends etc
Farooq
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby hb69 on Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:01 pm

yes the pattern parts should be ok, mines from partco(unipart). from what you have said it does sound like your uj could do with replacing. If you can turn the wheel a little before the road wheels start turning then chances are there is play in your uj.
hb69
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: Fiesta 1.1 LX

Postby Farooq on Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:22 pm

yeah mate thats exaclty how i would describe it thanks
Farooq
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Farooq on Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:06 pm

so do i need to do anything insdie the car or is it literally 2 bolts and joint comes out? anyone got any quick hints or tips this will be done on a ramp
Farooq
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Re: Anyone replaced universal joint?

Postby Mav Singh on Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:23 pm

i think my uj is starting to seize up now too. iv ordered a new one, but not sure how hard it is to fit. iv don't things myself on the car such as replace shocks, springs, strut top bearings, wishbones, droplinks, brakes disks pads calipers hoses etc.

is UJ replacement possibly DIY or should I take it to a garage?
1.6 si
Mav Singh
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Your car: 1995 Fiesta Si 1.6

Re: Anyone replaced universal joint?

Postby Farooq on Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:34 pm

That's an old post lol. Very easy to do. Might need to chap off but when you see it, it's very easy mate. Just make sure steering is centres :D
Farooq
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.