2.0 Zetec into 1.6 Si - full conversion guide.

Please check here before posting to see if your question has been answered before.

Postby Thumbs on Sun Feb 13, 2005 3:20 pm

I have been following this guide over the last month or so to complete my 2 litre conversion, I have just turned the key and she started first time :D

So a big thank you to Paul for writing such a faultless guide :wink:
Thumbs
Post Master
Post Master

Postby Gregory on Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:32 am

Thumbs wrote:I have been following this guide over the last month or so to complete my 2 litre conversion, I have just turned the key and she started first time :D

So a big thank you to Paul for writing such a faultless guide :wink:

did ya make many mods to the engine or was it put in as standard.

Any additional advise. sos jus want to get as much info before i embark upon the same project.
Gregory
Poster
Poster

Postby Thumbs on Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:38 pm

engine is in totally standard. Read the guide very carefully, pay attention to the parts you NEED to use from the 1.6 engine ie. water pump (2 litre pump runs wrong way), oil pump (2 ltr pump causes filter to hit fezzy bulkhead).

It's quite easy really, it only took me so long cos I stripped, cleaned and painted every single part I could. Otherwise I recon a weeks work solid would be plenty of time.

You do really need a RS1800 inlet manifold and the 2 litre ecu but it will run with 1.6 stuff (as mine is temporarilly) just will be down on power a bit and under fuel at high end revs, not good long term. I plan to run a Trust inlet manifold to improve breathing and increase space in the bay (£150), and the 2 ltr ecu is a must (£25 from scrappy).

PM me if you need any more pointers, as it's fresh in my mind :)
Thumbs
Post Master
Post Master

Postby Gregory on Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:18 am

Cheers

it'll be a while before i start, got other financial nags at the mo but cheers i may get in touch if anything crosses me mind.
Gregory
Poster
Poster

Postby G DOB on Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:32 pm

just finished my 2.0 ltr conversion to my si [ERRR] a difference :D
1 thing tho went to swap the module and i cant get the multi plug out it seems to well stuck in
just a quick ? for some1 with some know how
will it be down on performance if i dont change the module ?(itll still be fueling for a 1.6 ????)
otherwise will it be faster if i can some how change the module?
any help is muchly appreciated ....
Graemey
G DOB
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Postby Thumbs on Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:37 am

You do need to change the module (ECU). As you say the 1.6 ecu underfuels (particullarly at higher rpm).

This under fueling will not only decrease your performance quite a bit, but, you will find that the engine will run hotter and particularly the piston areas (rings, bores etc) ultimately causing failure, the big bang, LOL.

To get the ecu out you need to remove the 2 nuts from either side of the rubber covering. Pull back the rubber cover and you will find a bolt in the middle of the plug, this holds the plug and the ecu together. Undo this bolt and remove the plug from the ecu (it is a tight fit so a bit of wiggling about is needed).

You then have on clip either side of the ecu holding it in, push these clips towards the centre of the ecu and push downwards. The ecu will then drop into the passenger footwell.

Then as Mr Haynes would say "fitting is the reverse of removal"

Make sure you got the correct ecu, DEEP seems to be the prefered option.
Thumbs
Post Master
Post Master

Postby F.U.K FESTA on Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:16 am

does the engine have to be one from the same year?? or can you put a 2.0l in from a 1999 car and so on.
F.U.K FESTA
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Zetecfiesta on Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:12 pm

Does anybody know if fiestaprojects.com and mwstewart.com will be working again any time soon?

also is there any difference between the rs1800 inlet manifold and exhaust manifold to the 1.6si versions?
im just about to start my conversion getting a garage to build all the engine except the sump cause its still attached to my car! does anybody know if its possible to take the engine out but leave the sump in the engine bay?
Zetecfiesta
Post Master
Post Master

Postby Zetecfiesta on Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:02 pm

doesnt matter about the other stuff just want to know about the manifolds? anybody?????
Zetecfiesta
Post Master
Post Master

Postby PUREtom on Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:43 pm

i know for sure the RS1800 inlet manifold is slightly bigger within the tubes etc
PUREtom
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Thumbs on Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:42 pm

RS1800 manifold has a bigger bore than 1600 one. 1600 manifold will work but will restrict airflow into the engine giving reduced peformance.

Sump is bolted to the bottom of the engine, therefore when the engine comes out so does the sump. You will also need to take the sump off to take the oil pump off the 1.6 engine to put it on the 2.0.

Don't forget you need the water pump off the 1.6 aswell
Thumbs
Post Master
Post Master

Postby Zetecfiesta on Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:28 pm

thanks for that but is that the rs1800 inlet or exhaust manifold? or both? i will start looking for some of them soon, might just get a race manifold know of any apart from trust electricals?
Zetecfiesta
Post Master
Post Master

Postby Thumbs on Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:53 pm

I was talking about the Inlet manifold.

Exhaust manifold from the 1.6 16V fiesta has same bore size as 1.8/2.0 mondeo exhaust manifold.

The only high performance inlet manifold I found was the Trust electrical one. Don at YKC talked me into buying one, BIG MISTAKE!!!!! To cut a long story short, it is utter crud and would not reccomend it to anyone.

Although I have to say the 4-2-1 exhaust manifold seems OK.

If I were you I'd put the effort into finding a RS1800 inlet manifold. I wish I had :rolleyes:
Thumbs
Post Master
Post Master

Postby PUREtom on Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:22 pm

Still can can't ya?

Engine question - WHat if I find a series 2 engine, but its got cruise control?? I know it will still go in but won't there be extra bits etc? Or could I wire up cruise control!!! Imagine that, Si with cruise control!!
PUREtom
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Thumbs on Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:27 pm

Tom: I have spent hours re-making the intake pipe (as it was completely the wrong shape) only to find that NONE of the mating are flat. I machined the face that mates with the T/B and the 2 faces that join the manifold to the intake pipe then welded several pipes, nuts and fittings to the manifold to mount the sensors and valves only to find the surface that mates with the engine was warped to fook!!!

Having gone this far with it I might as well see it though now and get it machined flat :devil: :devil: Trust :devil: :devil: Electrical :devil: :lol:

Never done anything with cruise control, but I bet if it can be done Alex will know how to do it :lol: :lol:
Thumbs
Post Master
Post Master

Postby PUREtom on Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:12 pm

A few questions im still unclear about:

Can i use the 1.6 si crank sensor onto the 2 litre auto mondeo engine i've got?

Will the 1.6 si pipe from air filter to throttle body fit the 2 litre throttle body?
PUREtom
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Luke_Si on Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:51 am

And also do i need to use the 2.0L mass air flow matter.
Luke_Si
Poster
Poster

Postby PUREtom on Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:28 pm

you'll need the 2 litre Mass air flow sensor if you are using the 2 litre ECU.

Anyone got any answers to the questions i posted above? ^
PUREtom
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Luke_Si on Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:50 am

I can confirm that the XR2i 1800 inlet manifold is the same as the RS1800 manifold but the tottle body is different. Vospers Plymouth did the check and they came back with the same part number :)
Luke_Si
Poster
Poster

Postby Luke_Si on Sun Apr 24, 2005 7:14 pm

Hi People got the old engine out and pulling the parts off.
Were does the starter motor go on the 2.0 l on the front or the back when you put it back together and also do u use the fiesta pully system and also what about power sterring. can you help at all.
Luke_Si
Poster
Poster

Postby Zetecfiesta on Mon Apr 25, 2005 1:40 pm

ive read the post a few time now and you use the fiesta pully system other wise you get pumps going in the wrong direction! the starter motor starts on the back when its in the mondeo and when you put it into the fez it needs to go at the front, and power steering just hook it back up in the fiesta set up.
Zetecfiesta
Post Master
Post Master

Postby Luke_Si on Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:39 pm

Does any one know if i can use the Fiesta RS1800 throttle body on the 2.0i ECU at all saves me making up the throttle body as they are the same on the RS1800 and 2.0i
Luke_Si
Poster
Poster

Postby Luke_Si on Mon May 09, 2005 11:39 am

What Mass Air Flow Sensor works with 2.0L Deep ECU i need the serial number because the one i got is the wrong one.
Luke_Si
Poster
Poster

Postby wayners1800 on Fri Jul 01, 2005 5:04 pm

Good stuff... any chance of you all taking a look at my post...

http://www.fiestaturbo.com/phpBB/viewto ... 17#1116617

Ta
wayners1800
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Postby ZetecDan on Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:35 pm

could u just not use the mondeo box and flywheel instead of the si ones??
ZetecDan
Poster
Poster

Postby olliebett on Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:50 pm

While doing my conversion i found out that a TELL ecu dosen't work but a DALE ecu works fine.
olliebett
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Postby Luke_Si on Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:49 am

I love my 2.0 fiesta second engine I gone though and gearbox LOL but its all good and I want more speed now.
Luke_Si
Poster
Poster

Postby mexman on Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:06 pm

can i ask a question peeps?? does the loom that runs the engine unplug from the main loom?? and the ECU has internal edis on the SI?? :aviator:
mexman
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Postby Luke_Si on Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:45 pm

The loom plugs into these connecter and then connects to the main loom.... What are you plain on doing m8.
Luke_Si
Poster
Poster

Postby mexman on Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:33 pm

ive got a 2.0ltr engine out of a mondeo along with the ECU and engine loom... now as someone who struggles with wiring 3 pin plugs up you can imagine my nightmare of wiring up the mondy loom!! about 25 ish wires!! and i must have got some in the wrong order because i have some unusual running probs!! high tick over and running on! so i was thinking or ditching the mondy loom and using a SI loom... lot less wires to mix up for starters!! and ive see somewhere on this site a run down of what the wires are and go to!! so it looks like thats my way to go!! thanks for your help bud! :D
mexman
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Postby Dazza on Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:06 pm

Mexman - Was it an SI to start with? If so u dont need the mondeo loom bud. High revs could be a vacuum leak on the inletside such as pipes split
Dazza
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby mexman on Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:49 pm

now this is where i get ridiculed!!! its a mk2 orion!! started out as a mfi injection so no chance of looms matching!! so when the 2.0ltr engine ecu and loom came up cheap it just had to be done!! but since reading up on here you guys seam to know more than the other forums put together!! and ive learnt so much more in the short time ive been here!
so have i understood it right then? the ECU on the SI's have internal edis and about 6 wires in the engine loom to main loom plug??
mexman
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Postby jdfiesta on Fri Oct 21, 2005 1:00 am

Just done my conversion. with help from this guide(thanks)
I used a DESK ecu, works fine.
also, i've put a Cvh oil filter on the 2ltr pump as i couldnt be bothered to change pumps. clears the chassis leg enough.
JJ
My ebay stuff http://shop.ebay.co.uk/merchant/2.0zetec

Is that the best you can do?
www.volvot5.co.uk - www.germanshepherdsuk.co.uk
2000 V70 T5 SE - 2.3, 5 cylinder, 20V, VVT, Turbo, 250bhp, cream leather, climate control, the works!
jdfiesta
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Your car: V70 T5

Postby Luke_Si on Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:12 am

jdfiesta wrote:Just done my conversion. with help from this guide(thanks)
I used a DESK ecu, works fine.
also, i've put a Cvh oil filter on the 2ltr pump as i couldnt be bothered to change pumps. clears the chassis leg enough.
JJ

I have done the old CVH oil filter thing on both of my si's and its better flow with that one on any way. :D have fun.....
Luke_Si
Poster
Poster

Postby mouse_fsi on Sun Jan 01, 2006 7:23 pm

PUREtom wrote:A few questions im still unclear about:

Can i use the 1.6 si crank sensor onto the 2 litre auto mondeo engine i've got?

Will the 1.6 si pipe from air filter to throttle body fit the 2 litre throttle body?

u can use the 1.6 sensor if u want
and yes the trottle body ull fit the air pipe but the 2.0l air flow meter wont becoz its got a bigger diameter :)
mouse_fsi
Poster
Poster

PreviousNext

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.