Radiator fan wiring :(

Problem or technical question?

Radiator fan wiring :(

Postby thom4s-1 on Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:32 pm

Hi all im after a lil help, my xr2i had a manual fan swich badly fitted, so i decide to cut the bodge of wiring out i am now left with a red/black and solid black wire coming out the the temp switch on the thermostat housing, a dark green wire coming from the n/s wing loom and lastly a black/red wire coming from the fan switch. The fan did previously work via the switch. I have tried joining the two black and red wires and the green and black. Fan still didnt kick in. Once get the wiring correct i can make an attempt to fix the problem. Any help would be much appreciated. Tom

thom4s-1
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Re: Radiator fan wiring :(

Postby MB7201 on Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:16 pm

One side of the plug should go to earth and the other to the fan. Trace them if you can and test the system by bridging the two wires which should turn on the fan.

It should be wired:
Negative->switch plug
Other side of swtich plug ->fan -> positive via fuse 13

Also I'm not sure about cvh's but is the switch for the fan not on the radiator? On both mine it is (hcs and zetec).
MB7201
Post Master
Post Master

Your car: Fiesta lx

Postby jayrs on Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:36 pm

red and black is the live feed to the fan switch, black or brown as it sometimes is is the earth

the green one im not sure on at the mo, you sure its not one thats been added?
jayrs
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: FRST, XR2, ST170, ST225

Car: 1991 Ford Fiesta RS Turbo

Postby curly on Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:47 pm

the red and black should be joined to the other red and black which has been frayed from the stat housing,, the brown is earth, and the 2 blacks that are cut should go back,,

it should go,,,

black..>>.. (T/SHOUSING) ..>>..red and black ..>>..(FAN)..>>..brown..>>.. earth..>>.. (EARTH POINT)

well that is how its on mine,, im just having trouble working out why it doesnt work, i.e why the fan wont kick in when it did before,,
k496 ghk-blue-fully customised1.1(scrapped)
g23 ean-white-smoooothed2i(scrapped)
h789wvo-red- slammed2i-2.0l(dayly hack)
[HOONIGAN]
main priority!!!
A-B-U-S-E-!-!
curly
Post Master
Post Master

Postby curly on Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:29 am

also after fixing it on mine, if it has not been turning on after its still warmed up,, with it all connected back to origional,,

check the little single wire plug underneigth the lifting eye to the left of the stat housing,, i changed that and the fan kicked in streight away!!
[HOONIGAN]
main priority!!!
A-B-U-S-E-!-!
curly
Post Master
Post Master

Postby thom4s-1 on Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:30 pm

Ok well ive been fiddling with the fan a bit more today, am i right in thinking the two red/black wires are to be joined together, the black wire from the fan switch plug goes to an earth point. The green wire is a live if i touch this wire on the red/black wire the fan will come on but will stay on constantly. If i dont touch the green wire onto the red/black wire it will overheat and the fan will not kick in. Any help would be much appreciated. Tom
thom4s-1
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Postby curly on Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:08 pm

i am almost certain that that gren wire has to go under the lifting eye,,

using your picture itll be
------------V-------------------------

above that black plug, underneigth that lifting eye, there should be a little thread,, you need to see if there is a wire already on it, if not stick the green wire on it, and see if that cuts the fan in,, if the wires just bare, wrap the wirse around the thread,,

if their is a wire already on the thread, that wire is what is used to make the fan kick in, so would mean chasing it back to where it joins,,
[HOONIGAN]
main priority!!!
A-B-U-S-E-!-!
curly
Post Master
Post Master

Postby AW3K on Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:23 am

hi this is how i have mine wired up

this system still allows the fan to activate in normal operation as well as using a fiesta dash switch to overide it.

i'm writing a full guide on it at some point.

if you work at the blue fan switch plug and not disturb the fan wiring, its better as i think its under less load.

Andy
AW3K
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby AW3K on Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:27 am

thom4s-1 wrote:Ok well ive been fiddling with the fan a bit more today, am i right in thinking the two red/black wires are to be joined together, the black wire from the fan switch plug goes to an earth point. The green wire is a live if i touch this wire on the red/black wire the fan will come on but will stay on constantly. If i dont touch the green wire onto the red/black wire it will overheat and the fan will not kick in. Any help would be much appreciated. Tom

connect red/black back together.

black to the switch should be iggnition live,

brown is earth

green is it aftermarket or from in the loom?

Andy
AW3K
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby MK4 Rick on Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:38 pm

AW3K wrote:hi this is how i have mine wired up

this system still allows the fan to activate in normal operation as well as using a fiesta dash switch to overide it.

i'm writing a full guide on it at some point.

if you work at the blue fan switch plug and not disturb the fan wiring, its better as i think its under less load.

Andy

That's a good guide Andy cheers :lol:
MK4 Rick
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Your car: Mk5 Fiesta

Postby MK4 Rick on Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:40 pm

Why do you have the fan relay wired up into the other relay :lol:
MK4 Rick
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby AW3K on Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:20 pm

MK4 Rick wrote:Why do you have the fan relay wired up into the other relay :lol:

Ones a switch ones a relay .

Andy
AW3K
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby MK4 Rick on Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:56 pm

I was after a fan diagram for ages.This just looks so simple to do :lol:Would I get away with using a bog std relay and using a temp switch in the relay for the fan to kick in?
MK4 Rick
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby mikeymikeyp on Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:54 pm

Im a bit drunk but ill try the black plug is from the fan yes ,,,, or the thermostat housing
mikeymikeyp
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby MK4 Rick on Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:04 pm

AW3K wrote:
MK4 Rick wrote:Why do you have the fan relay wired up into the other relay :lol:

Ones a switch ones a relay .

Andy

Hi Andy using this fan diagram guide and wiring a fan switch into a relay will the fan kick in at temperature or do we switch the fan on manualy?
MK4 Rick
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby AW3K on Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:49 am

You can still switch it on manually . I did it this way to allow it to come on with its own trigger point or if you can see it going up just push the switch. Oh the switch on the diagram is a ford switch but you can just use a toggle.
AW3K
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby MK4 Rick on Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:15 pm

AW3K wrote:You can still switch it on manually . I did it this way to allow it to come on with its own trigger point or if you can see it going up just push the switch. Oh the switch on the diagram is a ford switch but you can just use a toggle.

Did you ever do your own guide Andy :lol: Im no electrical expert here I was just after a relay that I could fit a fan switch to that would kick the fan in at temperature with out me touching any switches :lol:
MK4 Rick
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.