My big ZT thread > 15.4.08 25bhp/20lbft extra and track prep

Post pics of your Fiesta here.

Postby garyhurn77 on Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:41 pm

good progress!

be nice to see if the gearchnage is any better, i'll await the update tomorrow!

new header tank looks nice too! :D :D :D
garyhurn77
Post Master
Post Master

Postby heeman10 on Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:34 pm

Cheers Gary, makes a big difference! Still got a few things like that to tart up, including the ISCV which I polished to a beautiful finish in 2005, but never lacquered :lol:

Some stuff from today...

Two new hoses at the bottom (the shorter one being the high-temp Nomex/fluorosilicone turbo oil return hose, the longer one for oil breather hoses), with the hoses above them that they now replace:

Note the colour of the hoses in the following shot, taken in December 2004 when I'd just collected the engine. They are true blue, the same colour as my new hoses, but over the last 18 months they have absorbed oil, which causes normal silicone hose to deteriorate, hence my concern. I just used the hoses that came on the engine, not thinking to check for such things!

Here is the top of the turbo oil return hose. You can see how off-colour it is, and just a few bends backwards and forwards saw it fall apart. Silicone coolant hose becomes very brittle when used with oil, particularly with oil fresh out of the hot turbo:

Here is a shot of the two new hoses on the left, and a length of normal silicone hose on the right. You can see the difference between the three very clearly:

So a big big thanks to Roose Motorsport for making them super-sharp and posting the following day using next day delivery. Order at midday on Tuesday, on the car on Thursday. Top service as always!

Back on the ground, with a jug of that delightful pink anti-freeze! :lol:

And I found this mutant banana on the passenger rear floor mat!!! :aaah::aaah::aaah: I thought it was a mouse in the darkness at first! LMFAO! Must've been one of the snacks I took down to SCC with me, early November :lol: Thankfully the mould hadn't spread to the car!

Just need a hand from my dad (to watch the turbo oil feed hose for a constant stream of oil while I crank it over) so I can prime the turbo tomorrow, then it's time for some driving! Can't wait to hear it again :devil: Then down to Rawlil's tomorrow night for some playing, we both miss our turbo's!!!! :cry:
Last edited by heeman10 on Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James .:. 193bhp/245lbft Zetec Turbo Mk3. Click sig for conversion thread + videos .:.
heeman10
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: Audi TT TDI Quattro S line

Postby jimmyesh on Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:44 pm

Ha that banana looks rank! :lol: Yeah i noticed that about using silicone coolant hoses for the oil breather on my old engine, they do discolour and deteriorate badly after a while, glad to see proper oil hoses are becoming more readily available :)

Car's looking good mate :wink:
jimmyesh
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Your car: Yes

Postby andyhardy on Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:17 pm

Good work on the car James!

As for the oil return hose, I was told that with standard hoses on the CVH you can use the top right oil breather hose as it's made from the same material. However, I bought a genuine ERST return hose when fitting the T3 and it was a much tougher material than the top hose. I didn't have a problem with it but I'd heard stories about people using different hoses and having them melt causing bye bye turbo. Anyway, I just thought I'd post that up as info. for others, your new hose (far left) looks like it should be ideal for the job :)

Have to say using the coolant hoses was a bit of a bodge even for you James! :P :lol:

Cheers,

Andy
Carburetted CVH p-p-powa!
andyhardy
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby heeman10 on Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:22 pm

Trez-dodge Jim - Yup, they don't like it up 'em! (Oil, that is) By complimenting my car you're complementing your own really, you big-headed w@nker :lol: :bonkers: It has 700 miles of motorway grot on it at the moment, plus 2 months of sitting dust/moisture, bleurgh! Can't wait to wash and polish it :D

Mandy - Interesting! It sucks that you often only find these things out when it's too late! I'm glad I checked the hoses out or the same could've happened to me! :aaah: I didn't bodge them, it was one of two other nasty specimens who will remain nameless! :lol: :bonkers:
James .:. 193bhp/245lbft Zetec Turbo Mk3. Click sig for conversion thread + videos .:.
heeman10
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby G4V on Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:30 pm

can i just be cheeky and ask how much you spent on the car so far ?

it looks to me like its a mind blowing amount and alot of hard work :)

and 40 pages?! :o :o

:)
G4V
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby heeman10 on Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:32 pm

:)
heeman10
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby G4V on Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:40 pm

:lol: if thats the case ill give you a tenner to do mine :D
G4V
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby heeman10 on Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:53 pm

Ok, as long as your ten pound note represents the same value my fiver does! ;)

I don't tot up what I spend really, I just do things as and when they need doing, or when I want to do them I suppose. Sure, I can remember the prices of stuff, but it's not like I have notches up my wardrobe like the Blue Peter totaliser :lol: I would still say I've done things to a budget though; i.e. there's nothing particularly extravagant or unnecessary on it. I'd love to Aeroquip it throughout, stick top notch aftermarket management on it, a 350+bhp ZT with 4WD etc, but I see it as a good collection of compromises that leave me with a nippy, solid car :)
heeman10
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby jimmyesh on Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:45 pm

heeman10 wrote:Trez-dodge Jim - Yup, they don't like it up 'em! (Oil, that is) By complimenting my car you're complementing your own really, you big-headed w@nker :lol: :bonkers:

:lol: :lol: :rolleyes:

Ha fair one mate except mine's still n/aspirated (at the moment...).

The MANJ is going for her MOT this weekend wish her luck (gonna need bucket loads :lol: )
jimmyesh
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Your car: Yes

Postby garyhurn77 on Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:55 pm

i hope you picked all those spanners up :o :o
garyhurn77
Post Master
Post Master

Postby jayrs on Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:11 pm

james.
how come you never had a oil return pipe made up with threaded fitting and T3 flange the other, and then just have a threaded fitting in the sump?
or is this a plan for a later date maybe?
jayrs
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: FRST, XR2, ST170, ST225

Car: 1991 Ford Fiesta RS Turbo

Postby heeman10 on Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:21 pm

jimmy/MANJ - Good luck!! :D

gary - They were all wiped off and back in their drawers about three minutes after the last pics :p

Jay de Duvet Covers - When I bought the engine it already had the return pipe welded into the sump, and tbh there's so little space under the turbo I think a jubilee's easier to remove than any other kind of fitting. I don't think I'd be gaining anything by using braided hose and threaded fittings, unless you'd care to point something out! :) And regarding the "plans for a later date"...there are none with this engine ;)
heeman10
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby jayrs on Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:42 pm

heeman10 wrote:jimmy/MANJ - Good luck!! :D

gary - They were all wiped off and back in their drawers about three minutes after the last pics :p

Jay de Duvet Covers - When I bought the engine it already had the return pipe welded into the sump, and tbh there's so little space under the turbo I think a jubilee's easier to remove than any other kind of fitting. I don't think I'd be gaining anything by using braided hose and threaded fittings, unless you'd care to point something out! :) And regarding the "plans for a later date"...there are none with this engine ;)

no mate, nothing to point out at all.
i looked into it with my engine about having a return to the sump, and to have a nice inner bore sized bit of braided pipe would of made the connections massive leaving me with about 2 inch of pipe :lol: :lol: and its not gunna flex very well with that little so decided against it and stuck with the standard T2 return, with the idea of maybe crossing that bridge if and when i have a problem with the standard return

i guess you have as little space under your turbo as i do, maybe even less than me :lol: :lol:
jayrs
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby heeman10 on Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:49 pm

jayrs wrote: i guess you have as little space under your turbo as i do, maybe even less than me :lol: :lol:

Mm, not a great deal really! Good quality silicone hose is fine IMO dude. Aeroquip and braided stuff is always nice, will last better and withstand huge temps, but what we have is more than up to the tasks we throw its way :)
heeman10
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby jayrs on Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:05 pm

hmm i see what ya mean more room that iwould of had as i was gunna go stright down.
from that pic it could be done, but as ya say, what ya using is upto the job so as they say, if it aint broke, dont fix it :lol:
jayrs
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby heeman10 on Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:19 pm

Update

It's back. :devil:

Took it out for a run just before lunch, juuust made 11psi. So I filled up (this time I knew to let the shop attendant know the smoke pluming out of both bonnet vents was just manifold paint and oil burning off the turbo :lol: ) and headed home. Two full turns of the actuator rod end saw it produce about 13.5psi on the following run. That'll do for now, I'll give it one more turn tomorrow, but boy did it feel better the second time out. On the way out I could plant it in third on our road okay. I tried it on the way back, second went straight to the limiter at 30mph, third did the same and nearly threw me in the ditch :lol: Love it :D

Top tip
My actuator is very tricky to adjust, since I have a kinked rod, unlike most standard rods that are straight. This means I need to unclip the rod end from the wastegate lever arm, wind on more preload, then try to push it back on. After 5 minutes of trying with no joy, my dad suggested blowing into the actuator "in" hose. I said blowing 5+psi by mouth was impossible, then reached for my bike pump and wahey! A few continued pumps gracefully pushed the rod out and it popped over the wastegate lever arm no problem! Haha!

Off to give it a wash then take it down to Rawli's for a play :D:D:D Damn it's good to have some power again :)
heeman10
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby GrahamRS on Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:37 pm

wuhay.. whens it going to a rolling road to find out the power?
GrahamRS
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby heeman10 on Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:41 pm

Not sure, there's a new 4WD rolling road opening up soon, or open already, about 40 miles from me :o I'll have a trip down to find out if they actually know what they're doing, then maybe stick it on there and give it a tough more boost. Either that or give it to MSD for a setup and a probe up its bum to check the fuelling at the top.
heeman10
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby heeman10 on Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:50 pm

Photographic proof that it is actually being driven around :D

Off for a little trip now, see you tomorrow folks...hopefully! :aaah: ;)
heeman10
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby HawkeVIPER on Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:56 pm

heeman10 wrote:and a probe up my bum

:o :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
HawkeVIPER
Post Master
Post Master

Postby heeman10 on Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:15 pm

Cheers Hawke, very original :p

Random video of today, faffing around with the boost pressure etc, only 20Mb or so and 2 mins long or something :)

http://download.yousendit.com/4C2AE957014C9C25
heeman10
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby HawkeVIPER on Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:11 pm

heeman10 wrote:Cheers Hawke, very original :p

:wink: It was the best I could do at short notice!

Random video of today, faffing around with the boost pressure etc, only 20Mb or so and 2 mins long or something :)

http://www.wefixtech.co.uk/video/heeman ... eaking.avi

Have a real URL ^^ :D
HawkeVIPER
Post Master
Post Master

Postby garyhurn77 on Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:52 pm

nice video

can i jus ask what is wrong with the gear change it looks fine to me, chnages gear ok????? and its fast!

or am i missing something :-? :-?
garyhurn77
Post Master
Post Master

Postby Brammer on Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:41 pm

heeman10 wrote:
And a bit more old vs. new action:

ImageImage

Christ jim just been reading through the thread you have been busy, header bottle looks alot better and i can see what you mean about it being the only thing letting the bay down, Looks well :D
Brammer
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: Sierra Cosworth

Postby knuckles on Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:42 am

heeman10 wrote:Back on the ground, with a jug of that delightful pink anti-freeze! :lol:

Image :cry:

Why is the engine mounted wonky ? :-?
ImageImage
~nomad~ wrote:Good god I love Clark.
knuckles
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: Fiesta Rs turbo

Postby heeman10 on Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:49 pm

HawkeVIPER - Thanks for the hosting! :o :D Is that a permanent link I can add in my videos section??

gary - The gearchange isn't chronic, but it's still sticky and can be significantly quicker. At the moment I have very long clutch pedal travel (which isn't quite enough), so with a shorter lever arm I can hopefully use a shorter travel which will take a lot of time out of the shift, plus obviously give me the extra clutch plate lift I need.

Chris - Indeed! That ISCV is tatty, will get it painted at some point, and I've wanted the charge carrier powder coated since about June...I'll get there! :)

knuckles - Explain :-? The charge carrier doesn't fit squarely because of different lengths here and there, and the engine sits down on the gearbox side around 10mm to give bonnet clearance, otherwise it's pretty darn straight! :lol:

Did 250 miles in it last night, all systems go! Had a toy with an E46 M3 as well, with some surprises! I had a 75kg mate with me, and thought he'd wipe the floor with me anyway. Not so! :D Exiting a roundabout up a hill in second saw me sliding on the damp tarmac so he got a couple of lengths, but other than that it looked like he was only pulling away at about a metre every couple of seconds :)

There is still a verrrry slow oil leak from the turbo oil feed union on top of the centre housing. It just about makes the top of the turbo damp after 100 miles, but I'll replace it anyway at some point.
heeman10
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Brammer on Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:53 pm

heeman10 wrote:Chris - Indeed! That ISCV is tatty, will get it painted at some point, and I've wanted the charge carrier powder coated since about June...I'll get there! :)

Just downloading the latest vid, as for the powder coating that reminded me i must get my inlet off to dave like yourself i have been meaning to do it since the end of september :D
Brammer
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: Sierra Cosworth

Postby HawkeVIPER on Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:04 pm

heeman10 wrote:HawkeVIPER - Thanks for the hosting! :o :D Is that a permanent link I can add in my videos section??

Figured I'd reply anyway :P

Yes it is!
HawkeVIPER
Post Master
Post Master

Postby heeman10 on Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:29 pm

Hurry up Chris - another video is being written at the moment, from last night! :D One of my favourites too I think! :devil:
heeman10
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby allinking on Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:30 pm

Whats the verdict on the gear change then has it really inproved?
allinking
Post Master
Post Master

Postby heeman10 on Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:14 pm

allinking wrote:Whats the verdict on the gear change then has it really inproved?

No.
heeman10
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby heeman10 on Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:21 pm

allinking - Was busy before, hence the useful answer :lol: I will be shortening the clutch lever arm to give a bit more travel at the release bearing end of things. The shift felt different last night, possibly mildly better, but not as good as I'm still sure it can be :)

Video
Since I hadn't driven my car for two months, and had only just put the clutch, gearbox, turbo and everything else back in and upped the boost a smidge, I thought...what better way to check it all than to do 250 miles in one night and make some video? :aviator:

Right-click, Save Target As...all courtesy of my lovely new hosting space! :D

http://www.heeman10.wefixtech.co.uk/OTRagain.avi

Apologies for the blurry stuff...put it down to the three cameramen involved :lol: :rolleyes: :p
heeman10
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby mike_wall15 on Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:42 pm

Man that's eye scrambling stuff! Did you know the silver BMW owner? :)
Good it's back on road :D
mike_wall15
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Car: 2002 BMW M3

Postby Raymondo on Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:48 pm

Looks and sounds very nice :Q

I like your dials too, bit different to the norm
Raymondo
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

PreviousNext

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.