Ford fiesta 1999 V reg 1.25 zetec overheating

Problem or technical question?

Ford fiesta 1999 V reg 1.25 zetec overheating

Postby davenicoll on Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:52 pm

Hi guys, driving the car home the other day....the temp needle went up to the A in the the normal so put the heating on full to reduce the level the needle was at.Driving it the day after the neelde went up further so again put the heating on...this brought the temp down. Took it for a drive the other day to test it and see what symptoms I was getting and it was going all the way up to the line just near the red over heat mark so I switched the heating on again and this reduced the tem again but not very much...I kept letting it get a little warmer then switched the heating on again to reduce the temp and it did reduce it. My first thought was maybe the thermostat is shot so I have swapped that and bled the system through (getting full heat through vents) I checke d the old stat in boiling water in a pan and it was working. I have checked for water leaks and can see none and when the stat was out I stuck my fingers in and turned the water pump and it all seems ok. It doesnt appear to be losing water until it is really overheating when it then leaks from the bottom driver side pipe of the rad. I have had the rad off and checked that and it all seems fine with no leaks.The fan isnt kicking in when the car is overheating I am pretty sure it usually kicks in when the temp is on around the M. I dont think the head is shot as there is no gunk etc. I have noticed that since I have bled it and it has overheated that when I switch the car off the water level goes down in the filler bottle. I will try bleeding it again and see what gives. Any advice greatly appreciated.
davenicoll
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Re: Ford fiesta 1999 V reg 1.25 zetec overheating

Postby davenicoll on Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:54 pm

Just been out in the car again to test it and it is still overheating, it doesnt go all the way to red . The fan is kicking in. I have driven it with the heaters on full and red hot air was coming through fine and the temp stayed on r on the temp level all the way back for over 6 miles. I turned the heating back to cold and the temp rose up to the point just under red. I got out the car and the water is trickling out of the bttom driver side rad pipe...it is gushing out it is just like trickling out as if the water needs somewhere to go so has forced its way out of the gap between the pipe and the rad. I have noticed that the water is bubbling in the bottle like it is over boiling water type thing. Any help is appreciated. Could it be the rad cap or likely water pump?
davenicoll
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Postby davenicoll on Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:46 pm

Ive changed the heater control valve. Bld it a little before going to work this morning and had heat coming through the blowers....went out tonight afetr work to bleed it again and now no heat and the water is being pushed back out the main pipe it gets fed through! What a pain in the rear this is becoming.The right hand pipe going to the heater control valve doesnt feel anywhere near as hot as the left hand one. The left hand one is scorching! The pipe going from head to rad on the right hand side is scorching aswell but feels a little squidgy compared to the others like it is easier to squeeze.
davenicoll
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Postby Pastieman on Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:16 am

check if there are cold spot on the rad if so rad is blocked get new one....
are you getting a return to the res when your bleeding the system if your not it could be poor flow from the water pump matey new pump needed
[/url]
Pastieman
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: Mk3 Fiesta Rs Turbo

Postby davenicoll on Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:57 pm

Hi, I am getting heat at the rad. The water is gushing back out of the main big pipe from the filler bottle the one on the left lookin gin tot he engine bay that looks like the main feed pipe. Not getting any trickle from what I can see from the smaller pipe on the right.

cheers dave
davenicoll
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.